[net.legal] Radar Surveillance

jay@allegra.UUCP (Jay Hyman) (08/07/85)

In article <1081@homxa.UUCP> gritz@homxa.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:

>  Radar guns should be unconstiutional but the case has never made it to the
>  Supreme Court.         ...    Most
>  motorists obey the speed limit (more than half), a few speed (less than
>  half, the %s don't matter). However, the police indiscriminately use
>  electronic surveillance devices to sample the speed of all cars.  They then
>  apprehend the drivers who are exceeding the limit.

Give me a break!  I am not a big fan of radar guns myself, but I'm
ready to admit that's because I'm afraid of getting speeding tickets.
I don't believe that anyone who really obeyed the speed laws would
agree that radar guns are unconstitutional or feel his privacy
invaded.  These laws exist for a purpose, and their enforcement helps
keep our roads somewhat safe.  I feel threatened when someone whizzes
by at 80 MPH and cuts in front of me; I *want* someone to be there to
catch these guys.  I've heard liberatarian arguments from people who
believe that almost all laws should be abolished;  I don't think that
intent can be read into our constitution's concept of freedom.

If we disallow radar guns, how should speed laws be enforced (for all
of our safety)?  By helicopter?!  (I couldn't believe it when I first
saw those signs on the parkway.)

jay  hyman     (allegra!jay)

stewart@ihlpl.UUCP (R. J. Stewart) (08/07/85)

>> Radar guns should be unconstiutional but the case has never made it to the
>> Supreme Court.         ...    Most
>> motorists obey the speed limit (more than half), a few speed (less than
>> half, the %s don't matter). However, the police indiscriminately use
>> electronic surveillance devices to sample the speed of all cars.  They then
>> apprehend the drivers who are exceeding the limit.

> If we disallow radar guns, how should speed laws be enforced (for all
> of our safety)?  By helicopter?!  (I couldn't believe it when I first
> saw those signs on the parkway.)

I don't know what signs there are on "the parkway", but helicopters are
a perfectly good way to enforce speeding laws.  Many areas of the
country have special markings on the pavement; officers in aircraft can
calculate a car's speed by seeing how long it takes to cross two
markings.  An alternative to this is the old-fashioned way of following
a suspected speeder in a car, matching speeds.

However, I don't see what the point is in objecting to radar as
"electronic surveillance".  Does this mean that police ought to be
prohibited from observing you with anything other than their natural
senses?  Consider the following cases:

 - Should police be prohibited from using air surveillance to catch
   speeders, since they need a stopwatch to accurately obtain times
   between markers.  Is it different if the stopwatch is mechanical
   instead of electronic?

 - Should speed-matching be prohibited, since a car is at least partly
   electrical?  What if they have one of the new electronic dashboards?

 - Should police be able to use binoculars or cameras to obtain
   evidence?  After all, light is the same as radar, only in a different
   part of the spectrum.

I hope the original poster can clarify their position, giving more
specifics about their objection to radar.

Bob Stewart
ihtnt!stewart

gritz@homxa.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (08/07/85)

As the original poster someone asked me to clarify my position in my
posting on radar surveillance.

My point is not that police should not apprehend speeders, I am all for
safe highways.  My point is that the use of radar guns to catch speeders
is basically unwarrented search, from which we have constitutional protection.
The police are "searching" every car, sometimes even before they can see the
car, to determine its speed.  They have no "probable cause" in most cases,
certainly in the cases where they cannot see the car (or clearly determine which
car in a pack produced the reading) and yet they are still searching.

It is very easy to overlook this infringement of our rights because radar
is so unobtrusive; but so are wiretaps!  The police would probably aprehend
many dangerous criminals if they used equipment to eves-drop on conversations
in Times Square, but you can bet they need a warrant or at least "probable
cause" to do that.  How hard would it be to get a warrent to eves-drop on
every conversation in Times Square?

It is bad enough to let the govt. get away with this, but now NJ wants to
outlaw our only defense against this!  That's like the govt. outlawing
devices that detect wire taps.  Does that sound constitutional?!?

Russ Sharples
homxa!gritz

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (08/08/85)

 > My point is not that	police should not apprehend speeders, I	am all for
 > safe	highways.  My point is that the	use of radar guns to catch speeders
 > is basically	unwarrented search, from which we have constitutional protection.
 > The police are "searching" every car, sometimes even	before they can	see the
 > car,	to determine its speed.	 They have no "probable	cause" in most cases
 > ....	 and yet they are still	searching.

You are	confusing "searching" with observing.

 > It is very easy to overlook this infringement of our	rights because radar
 > is so unobtrusive; but so are wiretaps!

RADAR and wiretaps are unrelated.  People  using  a  conven-
tional telephone have "a reasonable expectation	of privacy."
Not so driving down a  public  road.   Illinois	 law  treats
having a driver's license as a privilege, not a	right.
Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

bob@ulose.UUCP ( Bob Bismuth ) (08/09/85)

> >  Radar guns should be unconstiutional but the case has never made it to the
> >  Supreme Court.         ...    Most

> If we disallow radar guns, how should speed laws be enforced (for all
> of our safety)?  By helicopter?!  (I couldn't believe it when I first
> saw those signs on the parkway.)
>
> jay  hyman     (allegra!jay)

For your reference, hand held radar guns cannot be used in the UK for
the purpose of speed limit enforcement. The only radar which may be
used MUST be mounted either on a stationary vehicle or on a tripod
stand.

This resulted from the police using a radar gun (made I believe in
the US) on a car which was not exceeding the local speed limit. If
memory serves me correctly, the driver was charged with exceeding the
limit by over 20 mph, as indicated on the radar gun.

Unfortunately for the police, the driver was a research scientist at
the Royal Radar Establishment and had been testing hand held guns for
the government. He went to court and was able to conclusively prove
that it was impossible to obtain a reliable speed indication of a
stationary object, let alone a moving object.

For that reason I would agree with the original article's position
that radar guns should not be allowed. I do however, agree that saying
the use of radar infringes constitutional rights is pushing things a
bit far ...

There are other ways of measuring speed and I belive that the British
police rely more on vehicle timing between designated landmarks. This
is usually done by two vehicles using a radio link and occasionally
by aircraft.

I can't help humourously wondering if timing my course between landmarks
would cause some people to claim my constitutional rights had been
infringed ... :>)

	  -- bob
	     (decvax!ulose!bob)

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (08/09/85)

> I don't know what signs there are on "the parkway", but helicopters are
> a perfectly good way to enforce speeding laws.  Many areas of the
> country have special markings on the pavement; officers in aircraft can
> calculate a car's speed by seeing how long it takes to cross two
> markings.  An alternative to this is the old-fashioned way of following
> a suspected speeder in a car, matching speeds.

I can think of one good reason not to use helicopters, the suckers
are expensive to operate for this kind of frivolous activity.

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (08/12/85)

> If we disallow radar guns, how should speed laws be enforced (for all
> of our safety)?  By helicopter?!  (I couldn't believe it when I first
> saw those signs on the parkway.)
>
> jay  hyman     (allegra!jay)

The California Highway Patrol does not use radar.
They also don't seem to have much trouble catching speeders.

Their normal method is to make high-speed sweeps through freeway
traffic, flagging anyone they can't pass easily.

eli@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (08/12/85)

> As the original poster someone asked me to clarify my position in my
> posting on radar surveillance.
>
> My point is not that police should not apprehend speeders, I am all for
> safe highways.  My point is that the use of radar guns to catch speeders
> is basically unwarrented search, from which we have constitutional protection.
> The police are "searching" every car, sometimes even before they can see the
> car, to determine its speed.  They have no "probable cause" in most cases,
> certainly in the cases where they cannot see the car (or clearly determine which
> car in a pack produced the reading) and yet they are still searching.
>
> It is very easy to overlook this infringement of our rights because radar
> is so unobtrusive; but so are wiretaps!  The police would probably aprehend
> many dangerous criminals if they used equipment to eves-drop on conversations
> in Times Square, but you can bet they need a warrant or at least "probable
> cause" to do that.  How hard would it be to get a warrent to eves-drop on
> every conversation in Times Square?
>
> It is bad enough to let the govt. get away with this, but now NJ wants to
> outlaw our only defense against this!  That's like the govt. outlawing
> devices that detect wire taps.  Does that sound constitutional?!?
>
> Russ Sharples
> homxa!gritz

As I recall, there is some state in which police aren't allowed to use radar
for that very reason.  In fact they don't even time cars between lines from
the air.  What they do do is fly (in helicopters?) low at some speed leaving
a shadow on the highway and watch for cars that move faster than these
shadows.  I heard this from a random source so I could be all B.S.
-eli

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: liang@cvl, liang@lemuria, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep
        CSNET: liang@cvl  UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!liang

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/12/85)

> agree that radar guns are unconstitutional or feel his privacy
> invaded.  These laws exist for a purpose, and their enforcement helps
> keep our roads somewhat safe.  I feel threatened when someone whizzes
> by at 80 MPH and cuts in front of me; I *want* someone to be there to
> catch these guys.  I've heard liberatarian arguments from people who
> believe that almost all laws should be abolished;  I don't think that
> intent can be read into our constitution's concept of freedom.

Yes, speed limits need to be enforced. They also need to be raised.
55 MPH, for god's sake? Or 30MPH on a 4-lane boulevard surrounded by
at least 100 yards of open feild on either side? How about an across-
the-board increas of 25% for all non-residential streets?

If someone is doing 80 MPH the police don't need a radar gun to catch them.
If they're doing 3MPH over the limit (a friend of mine was gotten by this one
on a feeder road, for god's sake!) the police shouldn't be after them. Radar
guns give the police too much ability to go after borderline cases.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

draughn@iitcs.UUCP (Mark Draughn) (08/13/85)

My gripe about radar surveillance is that it makes speed laws disproportionately
enforcible.  With the common use of traffic radar it has become possible for
a government to make large amounts of money from the enforcement of speed laws.
This makes it easy for me to question the sincerity of a legislator who
proposes tougher speed laws.

Another example of this is occuring in Chicago.  A while back there was some
discussion of de-criminalizing parking violations in the hope that more people
would pay their fines.  Hmmmm...  This turns illegal parking into merely
high-priced parking.

It isn't hard to imagine this happening with speed laws.  People
would be billed for speeding, without having marks placed on their record.
This way people would be able to speed if they were willing to pay the price.
Hmmmm... If I had a hot car I might be willing to spend maybe $500 in tickets
if it meant I could REALLY lead-foot it on the highways...

Actually, there is little incentive doing this because most people pay fines
on speeding because of the more stringent regulations regarding moving
violations.  On the other hand, in many places it is possible to ask for
supervision in which you pay the fine, but it doesn't make a black mark
on your record.

It's hard for a state or a county or a city to make money off of drunk driving
convictions, or off of a real driver education program that does more than
tell students to drive slow and don't change lanes.  Either of these measures
would do a better job of making the roads safe than an orgy of speeding
tickets does.

                                           Mark Draughn

hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (08/14/85)

While I am a fundamentalist on the constitution and the bill

of rights, I don't see why the use of radar guns is any different
from the use of stopwatches, motion detectors, and calibrated
speedometers.

The fact that every car's speed is measured is also not relevant.
A police officer may be at a stop sign, and watch evrey car
that passes. If a car comes by ansd does not stop, a ticket
is issued. Would you claim that this is also unconstitutional?
This situation is totally analogous to setting the radar gun
to give an alert when a car exceeds 55 mph on a 55 mph limit road.

As far as posession of a radar detector being illegal, in
spite of the seller's claim that it is to be used for the
prevention of disease only (sorry, that was another product)
for the alerting of inadvertant speeding only, that is just
so much verbiage. The fact is that if you don't exceed the
speed limit, you don't need a detector.

In NJ and most states it is illegal to possess burglary tools.
The reason is that they are for committing burglaries, an
illegal act. It seems to me that possessing a radar detector
is for committing speeding.

I do not own a radar detector, because I think it would
encourage me to speed. I do use a cruise control.
I do move with traffic when most of it is exceeding the
55 mph limit, to do otherwise would be foolish and unsafe.

I am not in favor of a law banning radar detectors. These
can easily be concealed, making it difficult to enforce,
Such laws only encourage breaking them, and probably would
not reduce speeding.

Herman Silbiger ihnp4!homxb!hrs

A lot of people write in to say, in essence, that even if they are not speeding
the radar detector can help them avoid a ticket.  My question to these people
is: how?  What does one do when hearing it sound off (presuming that the speed
is already <= the max)?  Brake and go ultra-slow to make it obvious that one is
not speeding?  Sounds dangerous to do--you may catch your neighbor to the rear
by surprise and get your tail bashed in.  Please explain what these defensive
maneuvers are supposed to be.  Thank you.
|         an engihacker @        |  ployer, my pets, my plants, my boss, or the
| at&t computer systems division |  s.a. of any computer upon which I may hack.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------     or: ..!ihnp4!iheds!ttbcad!levy

bwm@ccice1.UUCP (Bradford W. Miller) (08/15/85)

In article <4131@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>The California Highway Patrol does not use radar.
>They also don't seem to have much trouble catching speeders.
>
>Their normal method is to make high-speed sweeps through freeway
>traffic, flagging anyone they can't pass easily.

I wish they'd try that in New York. A cop can't speed either unless
he is in pursuit. (it would make getting out of tickets a lot easier).

Brad Miller

--
..[cbrma, ccivax, ccicpg, rayssd, ritcv, rlgvax, rochester]!ccice5!ccice1!bwm

elric@proper.UUCP (elric) (08/15/85)

In article <> gritz@homxa.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:
>My point is not that police should not apprehend speeders, I am all for
>safe highways.  My point is that the use of radar guns to catch speeders
>is basically unwarrented search, from which we have constitutional protection.

>It is bad enough to let the govt. get away with this, but now NJ wants to
>outlaw our only defense against this!  That's like the govt. outlawing
>devices that detect wire taps.  Does that sound constitutional?!?

 Russ has a good point.
Another this is that the possesion of a radar detect does not harm anyone.
It is a victemless crime. Having a radar detector does not make it impossible
to catch you, it only protects your
privecy. Also radar guns are very unrelyable.

  elric

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (08/16/85)

> >traffic, flagging anyone they can't pass easily.
>
> I wish they'd try that in New York. A cop can't speed either unless
> he is in pursuit. (it would make getting out of tickets a lot easier).

In Maryland, emergency vehicles such as police and fire are not supposed
to ever exceed five miles over the speed limit.  However, it is almost
certain that some state trouper's intercepter car, will pass me on the
shoulder, while I'm heading up I-95 at 80 miles an hour in my ambulance.

-Ron

connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) (08/16/85)

>  - Should police be prohibited from using air surveillance to catch
>    speeders, since they need a stopwatch to accurately obtain times
>    between markers.  Is it different if the stopwatch is mechanical
>    instead of electronic?

If I remember correctly, police radars have a fair amount of error.  This
is why, for example, NY State cops almost always set their radars for 65
mph.  This is far enough above the speed limit to compensate for the radar
error.  It would be interesting to compare the error obtained from timing
via aircraft with radar error.  Does anybody have more info on this?
--
C. Ian Connolly, WA2IFI - USENET: ...edison!steinmetz!connolly
	   ,      ,	  ARPANET: connolly@ge-crd

meister@linus.UUCP (Phillip W. Servita) (08/20/85)

>In NJ and most states it is illegal to possess burglary tools.
>The reason is that they are for committing burglaries, an
>illegal act. It seems to me that possessing a radar detector
>is for committing speeding.

chapter 266, Massachusetts General Code: (emphasis mine)

"    Whoevever makes or mends, or begins to make or mend, or knowingly
 has in his possession, an engine, machine, tool, or implement adapted
 and designed for cutting through, forcing and breaking open a building,
 room, vault, safe, or depository, IN ORDER TO STEAL THEREFROM MONEY OR
 OTHER PROPERTY, OR TO COMMIT ANY OTHER CRIME, knowing the same to be
 adapted and designed to for the purpose aforesaid, WITH INTENT TO USE
 OR EMPLOY OR ALLOW THE SAME TO BE USED OR EMPLOYED FOR SUCH PURPOSE,
 or whoever knowingly has in his possession a master key designed to
 fit more than one motor vehicle, WITH INTENT TO USE OR EMPLOY THE SAME
 TO STEAL A MOTOR VEHICLE OR OTHER PROPERTY THEREFROM, shall be
 punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than ten
 years or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars and
 imprisonment in jail for not more than two and one half years."

   Maine also has pretty much the exact wording above, as does NY.
Cant speak for NJ, as ive never looked it up, but i suspect it is also
worded as above.

                                            -phil

elric@proper.UUCP (elric) (08/20/85)

In article <> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>the radar detector can help them avoid a ticket.  My question to these people
>is: how?  What does one do when hearing it sound off (presuming that the speed
>is already <= the max)?  Brake and go ultra-slow to make it obvious that one is

Well, I don't even own a car, but I feel that:
1) If the gov't can watch me with a radar gun, then I have a right to know.
2) The potential to comit a crime should not be a crime. My owning a radar
detect does not hurt me or the guy behind me.
3) The national 55mph speed limit was forced down the states throats by the federal gov't. (States that don't enforce
the 55mph limit don't get any highway $$$ from uncle. Even those that $$$$ came
from the taxpayers of that state.
So I'm not speed because the 55mph is illegal. It says in the consitution that
the Federal Gov't is not to interfear in the laws of the states.

---
Disclaimer
The above may or may not be the veiws of Lunatic Labs. We don't know.
---
  Elric of Imrryr

mhs@enmasse.UUCP (Mike Schloss) (08/21/85)

> A lot of people write in to say, in essence, that even if they are not
> speeding the radar detector can help them avoid a ticket.  My question to
> these people is: how?  What does one do when hearing it sound off (presuming
> that the speed is already <= the max)?  Brake and go ultra-slow to make it
> obvious that one is not speeding?  Sounds dangerous to do--you may catch your
> neighbor to the rear by surprise and get your tail bashed in.  Please explain
> what these defensive maneuvers are supposed to be.  Thank you.

The idea behind a radar detector is that you get a warning about police with
radar before the police with radar get a warning about you.  This is supposed
to happen anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 mile before you are in radar range.  This
should give you plenty of time to just tap your brakes to alert the guy behind
you and then take your foot off the gas.  The 15 -> 30 seconds time you get
should be ample to coast down to a semi-legal speed (unless your car has a
drag coeffecient of 0.00).

							Mike

bwm@ccice1.UUCP (Bradford W. Miller) (08/22/85)

In article <249@steinmetz.UUCP> connolly@steinmetz.UUCP (C. Ian Connolly) writes:
>If I remember correctly, police radars have a fair amount of error.  This
>is why, for example, NY State cops almost always set their radars for 65
>mph.  This is far enough above the speed limit to compensate for the radar
>error.  It would be interesting to compare the error obtained from timing
>via aircraft with radar error.  Does anybody have more info on this?

NY cops don't set their limit to 65 because of error (which is < 1% on most devices),
but because they don't want to have to stop everyone on the road! The AVERAGE speed
on interstates in NY is 60ish.

Brad Miller
--
..[cbrma, ccivax, ccicpg, rayssd, ritcv, rlgvax, rochester]!ccice5!ccice1!bwm

phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) (08/22/85)

A PSB scanner is far more effective than any radar detector.  The police,
whether city, sheriff's dept or state, call in a description of the car,
violation and the location where the vehicle has been stopped.  You usually
have this info minutes and miles before you get to the area where a speed
trap is being operated and it makes no difference what kind of device is
being used. (Radar,laser,stopwatch)

Knowing where the traps are you can not only avoid rear-ending somebody
with a detector who has only seconds to react to a detector's alarm but
you also get advance warning of fire and ambulance crews making hot runs
in your area.  In a sense the scanner is a *safety* device as opposed to
being an electronic countermeasure to thwart the government's revenue
gathering efforts.  ;-)

- Phil

fnf@unisoft.UUCP (08/22/85)

In article <155@iitcs.UUCP> draughn@iitcs.UUCP (Mark draughn) writes:
>It isn't hard to imagine this happening with speed laws.  People
>would be billed for speeding, without having marks placed on their record.
>This way people would be able to speed if they were willing to pay the price.

Actually, in Arizona this is already the case if you are caught going 55-65
in a 55 MPH zone.  The maximum fine is $15, for "waste of a critical
resource (gasoline)" as I recall, with no "points" on your driving record.

-Fred

Fred Fish    UniSoft Systems Inc, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,dual}!unisoft!fnf	(415) 644 1230 		TWX 11 910 366-2145

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (08/23/85)

In article <229@proper.UUCP> elric@proper.UUCP (Elric of Imrryr) writes:
>3) The national 55mph speed limit was forced down the states throats by the federal gov't. (States that don't enforce
>the 55mph limit don't get any highway $$$ from uncle. Even those that $$$$ came
>from the taxpayers of that state.
>So I'm not speed because the 55mph is illegal. It says in the consitution that
>the Federal Gov't is not to interfear in the laws of the states.

Once again, someone who knows nothing of constitutional law (and apparently
also is unconvinced by the relationship beteween speed limit and highway
deaths) is flaming all over this newsgroup. I'm also amused (??) by the
conflicting desire for "states' rights" and free dollars from the feds.
Please, guys, cant we keep this group clear of junk and stick to questions
of law and answers from J.D.'s who may have an idea of the truth?

(not a lawyer)

        Darwin's Dad (Carl Witthoft)
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!carl
	@ Adaptive Optics Assoc., 54 Cambridgepark Dr.
	Cambridge, MA 02140	617-864-0201

	"Put me in, Coach. I'm ready to play today.
	 Look at me! I can be centerfield."

mis@mtunh.UUCP (Meyer Steinberg) (08/23/85)

Police scanners are illegal in many states including NY and NJ
to be used in a moving vehicle. (You can use one in your house).

	Meyer Steinberg

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (08/23/85)

> [Discussion of radar detectors as burglar's tools]

The analogy of radar detectors (or even jammers) as burglar's tools
seems weak for two reasons:

1. Burglar's tools are implements that actually assist in the
   perpetration of an offense. By contrast, you have already committed
   the offense while speeding; the detector or jammer merely assists
   you in escaping apprehension.

2. Penal statutes are to be STRICTLY CONSTRUED. You can't make an
   effective legal argument in criminal court based on an analogy to
   another penal law -- prohibitions must be specific and enumerated
   sufficiently for someone to know whether they are committing an
   offense. For example, I recall a California case from law school
   where a convicted felon on parole was up for parole revocation for
   possessing a firearm.  What exactly he had was not reported, but all
   the trial transcript reported was that he had a "gun". The police
   officer who testified at the trial was deceased and not available
   at the hearing. Since the official definition of "firearm" in the
   appropriate section of the penal code did not include the word
   "gun" (it talked about pistols and rifles and shotguns, etc.)
   the firearm charge was dismissed and the felon walked.

Michael C. Berch
mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!mcb

elric@proper.UUCP (elric) (08/24/85)

In article <> meister@linus.UUCP (Philip W. Servita) writes:
>chapter 266, Massachusetts General Code: (emphasis mine)
>
> room, vault, safe, or depository, IN ORDER TO STEAL THEREFROM MONEY OR
> OTHER PROPERTY, OR TO COMMIT ANY OTHER CRIME, knowing the same to be
> adapted and designed to for the purpose aforesaid, WITH INTENT TO USE
> OR EMPLOY OR ALLOW THE SAME TO BE USED OR EMPLOYED FOR SUCH PURPOSE,
> or whoever knowingly has in his possession a master key designed to
> fit more than one motor vehicle, WITH INTENT TO USE OR EMPLOY THE SAME
> TO STEAL A MOTOR VEHICLE OR OTHER PROPERTY THEREFROM, shall be

 A main problem with those laws is that the the courts must prove INTENT.
Which is not easy, useless they catch you robbing a house.
I can own a lock pick set, as long as I don't say
I'm going to break into a house.
 So, the courts would actuley have to catch you speeding with you
detector on to prove intent to aviod
getting stopped (resiting arrest?)

  Elric of Imrryr

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (08/25/85)

In article <553@unisoft.UUCP> fnf@unisoft.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <155@iitcs.UUCP> draughn@iitcs.UUCP (Mark draughn) writes:
>>It isn't hard to imagine this happening with speed laws.  People
>>would be billed for speeding, without having marks placed on their record.
>>This way people would be able to speed if they were willing to pay the price.
>
>Actually, in Arizona this is already the case if you are caught going 55-65
>in a 55 MPH zone.  The maximum fine is $15, for "waste of a critical
>resource (gasoline)" as I recall, with no "points" on your driving record.
>
>-Fred

Are you sure that is still so?  Nevada had something similar for speeding
below 70 MPH, but the feds stepped in and said that Nevada was not enforcing
the 'spirit of the law' and that highway funds would be withheld if they
did not impose 'meaningful' penalties.

I for one find it highly amusing that the feds can be so damn picky, petty,
and by-the-book about everything they do and then have the gall to tell
someone else that what they are interested in is the 'spirit of the law'.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

In article <10690@styx.UUCP> mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>   offense. For example, I recall a California case from law school
>   where a convicted felon on parole was up for parole revocation for
>   possessing a firearm.  What exactly he had was not reported, but all
>   the trial transcript reported was that he had a "gun". The police
>   officer who testified at the trial was deceased and not available
>   at the hearing. Since the official definition of "firearm" in the
>   appropriate section of the penal code did not include the word
>   "gun" (it talked about pistols and rifles and shotguns, etc.)
>   the firearm charge was dismissed and the felon walked.

With this kind of stuff going on, how can ANYONE with any conscience at
all become a trial lawyer?  I am reminded of the Dustin Hoffman (?Al Pacino?)
movie "And Justice for All", where an attorney (certain of his client's guilt)
gets his client off of a murder charge on a technicality of the magnitude
mentioned above -- and the client goes out and kills a little girl the
next night.  Shudder!!
--

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (08/26/85)

In article <229@proper.UUCP> elric@proper.UUCP (Elric of Imrryr) writes:
>3) The national 55mph speed limit was forced down the states throats by
>the federal gov't. (States that don't enforce the 55mph limit don't get
>any highway $$$ from uncle. Even those that $$$$ came from the
>taxpayers of that state.  So I'm not speed because the 55mph is
>illegal. It says in the consitution that the Federal Gov't is not to
>interfear in the laws of the states.

[all grammar and spelling from the original]

The Constitution says nothing of the sort.  It states (10th Ammendment)
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
prohibited to it by the States, are reserved to the States
respectively, or to the people."  The U.S. Government has the
constitutional authority to allocate funds to the states, and if it
chooses to put restrictions on those funds they have that right (modulo
many questions of violation of personal and state's rights), since the
Constitution gives the Congress the authority to allocate funds.  And
states are free to refuse the funds because they don't like the
restrictions (or for any other reason, like, say, that they don't like
the color of the money :-).

This is no different from the U.S. offering money to any public
institution with the proviso that the instution not discriminate on the
basis of sex (which is not an explicitly guaranteed constitutional
right).  If the goverment gives money away, it has the right to ensure
that the money is used in what it deems is a proper way, and, currently,
it considers that building and maintaining highways were gas is
wasted by driving over 55mph is not proper.  (This is NOT an invitation
to debate if they are CORRECT; they have the constiutional right to
do so, correct or not.)

Of course, this says nothing about interfering with state law, since no
state has had its law superceded by federal law; they all voluntarily
changed it in order to continue reaping the benefit of federal money.

[certainly irrelevant discussion on hierarchy of national vs. state law
 follows, and can be ignored by people only interested in issues of 55mph]

As far as interfering with state law goes, the national goverment has
the constitutional right to make laws which superceded not only state
legislation, but state constitutions as well.  The Voting Rights Act is
a supreme example of this.  It can only do so in areas where its
legislative authority is clear in the Constitution, such as in
interstate commerce, the guaranteeing of republican goverment to the
states, etc.  But within those areas, if it chooses to legislate, its
word is law in all states.  In fact, if its legislation is
comprehensive enough, states can not even make more restrictive
legislation.

This would only apply to 55mph if the Congress had passed a maximum
speed limit law which set the maximum speed directly.  All they did was
set a condition for receipt of federal money.

		Ken Arnold

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (08/26/85)

> In article <260@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa (Carl Witthoft) writes:
> Once again, someone who knows nothing of constitutional law (and apparently
> also is unconvinced by the relationship beteween speed limit and highway
> deaths) is flaming all over this newsgroup. I'm also amused (??) by the
> conflicting desire for "states' rights" and free dollars from the feds.
> Please, guys, cant we keep this group clear of junk and stick to questions
> of law and answers from J.D.'s who may have an idea of the truth?

While the original posting by Elric about how the 55 mph limit was
forced down the states' throats may not have been edited and polished,
it certainly was factual. The 55 limit is not popular in state
legislatures, who are under pressure from trucking groups and others
to repeal it, but the financial pressure of losing highway funds holds
sway. Many of us J.D.'s found this use of federal power offensive, if
not unconstitutional, and in fact a Municipal Court judge in central
California somewhere (Santa Cruz??) so held in a speeding case.  Now I'm
pretty sure he's going to get reversed, if he hasn't been already, but
there's nothing like a little judicial common sense.

By the way, there's nothing "free" about that highway money from the
federal government. You *do* pay taxes, don't you?  :-)

Michael C. Berch, J.D.

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (08/28/85)

In article <553@unisoft.UUCP> fnf@unisoft.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:

>Actually, in Arizona this is already the case if you are caught going 55-65
>in a 55 MPH zone.  The maximum fine is $15, for "waste of a critical
>resource (gasoline)" as I recall, with no "points" on your driving record.
>
>-Fred

    Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that some of today's cars
    get better mileage at 70 mph.  (16-valve 4 cyl engine???)

                                     Clare

chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) (08/28/85)

[Go ahead bug, make my day.]

In article <260@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) writes:
>Once again, someone who knows nothing of constitutional law (and apparently
>also is unconvinced by the relationship beteween speed limit and highway
>deaths) is flaming all over this newsgroup. I'm also amused (??) by the
>conflicting desire for "states' rights" and free dollars from the feds.

     ***** Flame warning *****

     Grrrr.  I was going to stay out of this one.  I was going to leave well
enough alone, but I can no longer.  Extreemely minor flame:  There is no such
thing as "free dollars" form the feds.  That money ultimately comes from you
and me (actually, from any work that we do).

     The main reason that I am opposed to the 55 speed limit is because 90% of
the people that I know don't obey it (even those that say they do, get on
the freeway and do at least 60).  I grew up driving under this totally
arbitrary limit (it does not reflect the speed at which one can safely drive
the road), and thus since the only safe way to drive on the freeway is to
move along with the flow (I've yet to drive in a state where that is less
than 60-65, and yes, I've driven in > 50% of the states) I become
conditioned to exceeding the speed limit by 10 or so mph.  I also get the
feeling that driving at these speeds is no great wrong because *everybody*
does it!

     This has the effect that now when I get on a surface street, I speed
by 10 or so mph because it's "OK" to do so on the highway, even though it
may not be anywhere near safe.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that the
55 speed limit *teaches* people to break laws, *teaches* them to drive
unsafely (on surface streets al least), and keeps police away from
protecting our lives and property from violent crime.  One might even
stretch the point to say that since people get used to breaking an
"obviously" stupid law, that they won't feel the restriction not to break
other laws since they feel that that law is stupid and *everybody* breaks
laws that they think are stupid.  The 55 mph speed limit also teaches people
to think of the police as thier enemies, not as thier protectors, since one
always has to be on the lookout for them when they are driving (and I drive
more than I have crimes commited against me).  I realize that this could be
used as an argument to increase the enforcement of the 55 mph speed limit,
but that would only increase the antagonistic relationship between Joe
Citizen and the police.

NOTE:  All of the above is spoken from the psychological impact of actually
driving on the highways and byways of this country, not on any numerical data.

--
				-- Chris Yoder

UUCP --- {allegra|ihnp4}!scgvaxd!engvax!chris

<Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you...>

{  The opinions here are representative of Huge Aircrash, not me and
   *especially* not of my poor little keyboard.    8-)=
}

In article <393@scgvaxd.UUCP> chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) writes:

>     The main reason that I am opposed to the 55 speed limit is because 90% of
>the people that I know don't obey it (even those that say they do, get on
>the freeway and do at least 60).  I grew up driving under this totally
>arbitrary limit (it does not reflect the speed at which one can safely drive
>the road), and thus since the only safe way to drive on the freeway is to
>move along with the flow (I've yet to drive in a state where that is less
>than 60-65, and yes, I've driven in > 50% of the states) I become
>conditioned to exceeding the speed limit by 10 or so mph.  I also get the
>feeling that driving at these speeds is no great wrong because *everybody*
>does it!

	The fallacy with this is the assumption that people obeyed the
higher speed limits before the change! I am(just barely) old enough to
remember. Compliance was *no* *greater* under the old 70-75 mph speed
limit than it is now. People used to drive 80-85mph, the same ~10 mph
over that they drive now! Even my father, a very law abiding citizen,
regularly drove 5 miles over the limit, even when the limit was 75.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (09/03/85)

>In article <260@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) writes:
>>Once again, someone who knows nothing of constitutional law (and apparently
>>also is unconvinced by the relationship beteween speed limit and highway
>>deaths) is flaming all over this newsgroup. I'm also amused (??) by the
>>conflicting desire for "states' rights" and free dollars from the feds.
>>
>     Grrrr.  I was going to stay out of this one.  I was going to leave well
>enough alone, but I can no longer.  Extreemely minor flame:  There is no such
>thing as "free dollars" form the feds.  That money ultimately comes from you
>and me (actually, from any work that we do).
Of course it does. Would you prefer secession?>
>     The main reason that I am opposed to the 55 speed limit is because 90% of
>the people that I know don't obey it (even those that say they do, get on
>the freeway and do at least 60).  I grew up driving under this totally
>arbitrary limit (it does not reflect the speed at which one can safely drive
>the road), and thus since the only safe way to drive on the freeway is to
>move along with the flow (I've yet to drive in a state where that is less
>than 60-65, and yes, I've driven in > 50% of the states) I become
>conditioned to exceeding the speed limit by 10 or so mph.  I also get the
How old are you? Us greyhairs (I'm 30) can well remember when the
speed limit was 70, and the traffic averaged 75-80. Thus your complaint
about speeding is well-intentioned but invalid.

        Darwin's Dad (Carl Witthoft)
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!carl
	@ Adaptive Optics Assoc., 54 Cambridgepark Dr.
	Cambridge, MA 02140	617-864-0201
" Buffet-Crampon R-13 , VanDoren B-45, and VanDoren Fortes ."

buls@dataio.UUCP (Rick Buls) (09/05/85)

In article <695@psivax.UUCP> friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>In article <393@scgvaxd.UUCP> chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) writes:
>>
>>     The main reason that I am opposed to the 55 speed limit is because 90% of
>>the people that I know don't obey it (even those that say they do, get on
>>the freeway and do at least 60).  I become
>>conditioned to exceeding the speed limit by 10 or so mph.  I also get the
>>feeling that driving at these speeds is no great wrong because *everybody*
>>does it!
>>
>	The fallacy with this is the assumption that people obeyed the
>higher speed limits before the change! I am(just barely) old enough to
>remember. Compliance was *no* *greater* under the old 70-75 mph speed
>limit than it is now. People used to drive 80-85mph, the same ~10 mph
>over that they drive now! Even my father, a very law abiding citizen,
>regularly drove 5 miles over the limit, even when the limit was 75.
>--
>				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

	The fallacy with this is the assumption that there were speed limits
in all the states. :-)  Being from the great state of Montana, There were
No daytime speed limit when I learned to drive(pre 1974). So it was imposible
to exceed the limit on the highways. The state of Nevada had no limits either.
So I for one never exceeded the speed limit before 1974, My only ticket was
in 1974 for going 62 in a 55 zone. I was in Kansas. As for the 55, what was
a 7 hour drive back "home" is now a 11 hour marithon over a 4 lane deserted
mass of concrete and asphalt. I always think of all the gas the 55 is saving
when I'm in the traffic to and from work(going at 35 to dead stop). There is
more gas burned on a weekday morning from 6AM til 10AM in the same city of
Seattle than is burned all day in the whole state of Montana. And the drivers
here in Seattle would love it if they could speed up to 55.

--

				Rick Buls (Data I/O; Redmond, Wa)
				uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!buls