[net.legal] Changing Left-handedness to Right-handedness

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (01/01/70)

> >There is one fact that should be noted - the consistent use
> >of only the left hand for all purposes is actually rarer than
> >people here might think.
> This is probably true, but I think could be more easily attributed to
> environmental factors (let's face it, we're living in a rightie's world)
> than developmental/genetic ones.  The fact that there ARE consistent "total"
> righties indicates that there's a lot less pressure on them to use their left
> hands than there is on lefties to use their right.

	There have been studies which show that left-handed people are
more flexible and quicker to adapt to change, and that the brain-function
divisions are less well-defined for lefties. That is, the left-brain/
right-brain business actually doens't apply very well to left-handers,
who tend to distribute functions more widely over different parts of the
brain. I don't know if lefties are born this way or if we get that way
as a result of coping with a right-handed world.
--
jcpatilla

"The bland leadeth the bland and they both shall fall into the kitsch."

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (08/16/85)

In article <1149@teddy.UUCP> rdp@teddy.UUCP (Richard D. Pierce) writes:
>My older brother was (is?) left handed until the wonderful Catholic
>school he attended forced (yes, FORCED) him to use his right hand.
>
>The result, not diagnosed until many years later, was a condition, I
>believe, referred to as "acordial disrythmia" (I think). He has suffered
>from a great deal of emotional problems, confusion, etc. Several clinicians
>have pointed their fingers to the attempt to switch his "handedness".

I have heard of this practice before -- Considering the litigious nature
of our society, I would expect that there have been lawsuits against the
school systems or organizations that so damaged these children. Does
anyone have any info on the number and disposition of such lawsuits?

Will

bwm@ccice1.UUCP (Bradford W. Miller) (08/22/85)

In article <761@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-bmd.UUCP writes:
>In article <1149@teddy.UUCP> rdp@teddy.UUCP (Richard D. Pierce) writes:
>>My older brother was (is?) left handed until the wonderful Catholic
>>school he attended forced (yes, FORCED) him to use his right hand.

More from those wonderful folks who brought us the dark ages.....
--
..[cbrma, ccivax, ccicpg, rayssd, ritcv, rlgvax, rochester]!ccice5!ccice1!bwm

tewok@gymble.UUCP (Wayne Morrison) (08/23/85)

Another way that left-handedness is an advantage is in sword fighting.
Since most of the world is right-handed, it is uncommon for a right-
hander to come up against a lefty.  This gives those of us of the
south-pawed persuasion an extra advantage when it comes to "killing"
our opponents.  Right-handed swordsmen are usually, from my experience,
somewhat confused since the sword swings aren't coming from where they
are expecting them and their swings are going where they aren't accustomed
to putting them.  It must have been even more of a benefit when people
were fighting to really kill.

				Wayne Morrison

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (08/23/85)

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.  I have a 15 year old
who bats left and eats right.  He has trouble batting righty, but
does everything else from the right just fine, except produce
clear legible handwriting.  We never encouraged the use of either
hand.  His 14 year old sister is a lefty in everything, but can
do well from the right also.  Their 8 year old brother is a
righty.  Don't know yet how he will bat from the left.

When I was in the first grade, the kid next to me was a lefty
and the teachers would hound him about using his right hand.
I still remember the poor kid crying while he tried to write
with his right hand.  Even then I felt it was wrong to force
him to change.  I also remember the poor kid starting to
stutter and drool whenever they would get on his case.  In
my opinion, noone should be forced to change handedness.  If
they are going to do it, it has to be on their own without
outside pressure.  I have known people who have done this
on their own just to prove to themselves it could be done,
but, they were older (over 18).  So, mothers, don't let
your son grow up to be a cowboy. (Oh, that's another subject.)
Let your kids use whatever limb they wish.
T. C. Wheeler

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (08/27/85)

In article <208@pyuxii.UUCP> tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) writes:
>Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.  I have a 15 year old
>who bats left and eats right.  He has trouble batting righty, but
>does everything else from the right just fine, except produce
>clear legible handwriting.  We never encouraged the use of either
>hand.
This followup maybe oughta be in sports only, but..
There are plenty of good switch hitters (eg Pete Rose). If you look at
the hand position, you'll notice that a lefty hitter has the same
setup as a righty rifle shooter or a righty pool player.
Also, and more important, a righty hitting lefty (or vice versa) has his
strong arm leading the swing, which always helps.

        Darwin's Dad (Carl Witthoft)
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!carl
	@ Adaptive Optics Assoc., 54 Cambridgepark Dr.
	Cambridge, MA 02140	617-864-0201

	"Put me in, Coach. I'm ready to play today.
	 Look at me! I can be centerfield."

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (08/27/85)

In article <208@pyuxii.UUCP> tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) writes:
>Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.  I have a 15 year old
>who bats left and eats right.  He has trouble batting righty, but
>does everything else from the right just fine, except produce
>clear legible handwriting.

There is one fact that should be noted - the consistent use
of only the left hand for all purposes is actually rarer than
people here might think.

In Sandra F. Witelson's article The brain
connection :The Corpus Callosum is larger in Left-Handers
(Science,1985,Aug.16,vol.229,no.4714,p.665-668)
, she states that in her study of the brains of 42 subjects
	"from 25 to 65 years at death ....
	 ....27 showed consistent right-hand prefernce and
	 15 showed mixed-hand preference, the later group
	showing various combinations of right- and left-hand preferences.
	Consistent left-hand prefernce is rare, and no consistent
        left-handers were availabe in this sample."
(M.Annett,1967 (Q.J.Exp.Psychol.,vol.19,p.327-343)
	In Annets classification,

        --consistent right-handers have only
	right- and no left-hand preferences:
	-- consistent left-handers have only left- and no right-hand
	preferences;
	-- mixed henders have any other combination, regardless of
	hand for writing.

In large samples, the distributions of consistent right-,mixed-,
and consistent left-handers is approximately 66,30, and 4 percent
respectively.(Annett,p.343;Witelson,p.667).)

(This article by Witelson is quite a good one on the structure
of the brain halves connections and handedness.)

>We never encouraged the use of either
>hand.  His 14 year old sister is a lefty in everything, but can
>do well from the right also.  Their 8 year old brother is a
>righty.  Don't know yet how he will bat from the left.
>
>T. C. Wheeler

				Pamela M. Pincha-Wagener
				(bcsaic!pamp)
(usual disclaimer)

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (08/27/85)

>>>My older brother was (is?) left handed until the wonderful Catholic
>>>school he attended forced (yes, FORCED) him to use his right hand.
>
>More from those wonderful folks who brought us the dark ages.....
>--
>..[cbrma, ccivax, ccicpg, rayssd, ritcv, rlgvax, rochester]!ccice5!ccice1!bwm

PLEASE!!!Don't blame the Catholic Church for the Dark ages! It DID NOT
Cause the Dark Ages! (Perpetuated it a bit maybe...but it did not
start it!  The COLLAPSE of the ROMAN EMPIRE did that.) The Church was the
few institutions that was able to retain a bit of the knowledge through
that time period of what had been known before.(Note I did not say
ALL of the knowledge,NOR an unbiased viewpoint. It was just better than
nothing.)
					P.M.Pincha-Wagener
					(bscaic!pamp)
(usual disclaimer)

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (08/28/85)

In article <274@gymble.UUCP> tewok@gymble.UUCP (Wayne Morrison) writes:
>Another way that left-handedness is an advantage is in sword fighting.
>Right-handed swordsmen are usually, from my experience,
>somewhat confused since the sword swings aren't coming from where they
>are expecting them and their swings are going where they aren't accustomed
>to putting them.

Being a fencer myself, you are right facing a left-handed swordsman
can be a problem. But not as much as you might think. A good swordman
(right-handed,that is) learns FAST how to counter a left-handed attack!
(This is much easier in current fencing circles since the fighting
is limited to a narrow strip. This is a BIG disatvantage to the lefties
since they can be crowded to the edge of the strip with their vunerable
areas open. Personally I enjoy fighting lefties - they don't think I'll
anticipate their style!) The fencers that are REALLY hard to fight are
the ambidexterous ones!
					P.M.Pincha-Wagener
					(bcsaic!pamp)
(usual disclaimer)

lizv@tektools.UUCP (Liz Vaughan) (08/30/85)

>There is one fact that should be noted - the consistent use
>of only the left hand for all purposes is actually rarer than
>people here might think.

This is probably true, but I think could be more easily attributed to
environmental factors (let's face it, we're living in a rightie's world)
than developmental/genetic ones.  The fact that there ARE consistent "total"
righties indicates that there's a lot less pressure on them to use their left
hands than there is on lefties to use their right.

Liz Vaughan

{allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax} tektronix!tektools!lizv

tewok@gymble.UUCP (Wayne Morrison) (09/02/85)

In article <247@bcsaic.UUCP> pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) writes:

>Being a fencer myself, you are right facing a left-handed swordsman
>can be a problem. But not as much as you might think. A good swordman
>(right-handed,that is) learns FAST how to counter a left-handed attack!
>(This is much easier in current fencing circles since the fighting
>is limited to a narrow strip. This is a BIG disatvantage to the lefties
>since they can be crowded to the edge of the strip with their vunerable
>areas open. Personally I enjoy fighting lefties - they don't think I'll
>anticipate their style!) The fencers that are REALLY hard to fight are
>the ambidexterous ones!

>					P.M.Pincha-Wagener
>					(bcsaic!pamp)

I have never done any fencing.  All of my experience has been with weapons
like broadswords, axes, clubs, and spears.  I was talking from this type of
viewpoint.  I have found that most right-handers aren't able to easily cope
with a left-handed opponent.  It might be true, and apparently is by reading
your article, that fencing is the opposite.  Maybe sometime I'll get involved
in fencing and find that my bonus is now detrimental.  Two major differences
between fencing and broad-sword fighting are that there usually isn't a strict
area limitation and shields are standard equipment.  I hope I don't sound
like I'm arguing, that isn't something I am interested in doing.  If you
are interested in discussing it more (again, discussing not arguing), feel
free to send me mail.  (Maybe we could start a new newsgroup: net.swords :-)

--
"I love the feel of plastic.  It makes me hot!"       - T.J. Tarou

				Wayne Morrison (301)454-7690
				tewok@gymble.ARPA
				seismo!umcp-cs!tewok

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (09/03/85)

A recent article in "Science News" points out that left-handers
and the abidextrous have a physiological difference in their
brains from right-handers.

The region that connects the two sides of the brain is the
corpus callosum.  In left-handers and the ambidextrous, this
region is ~11% larger than that of right-handers'.

It has not been made clear yet *why* the difference in size, but
if it is because of more connections between the two hemispheres
it might be a physiological reason for why lefties and ambis
show more of a sharing of brain function thoughout the hemispheres,
and why lefties are more ambidextrous than righties.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

diegob@cca.UUCP (Diego Gonzalez) (09/04/85)

> PLEASE!!!Don't blame the Catholic Church for the Dark ages! It DID NOT
> Cause the Dark Ages! (Perpetuated it a bit maybe...but it did not
> start it!  The COLLAPSE of the ROMAN EMPIRE did that.) The Church was
> the few institutions that was able to retain a bit of the knowledge
> through that time period of what had been known before.  (Note I did
> not say ALL of the knowledge, NOR an unbiased viewpoint.  It was just
> better than nothing.)

   I was pleased to see that something with a greater social bearing
fell out of the current discussion.  (I am sympathetic toward suffering
lefties and agree that greater consideration needs to be lent to the
design of commonplace mechanical devices.  However, the problems of
handwriting cannot be easily addressed; the majority -- a large one in
this case -- have already established a pattern (left to right reading)
that precludes simple solutions.)  Pam's (I think that's right) comment
has affected all of us.  That is: to what extent did the Church
contribute to the dimness of the "Dark" ages.

   While a great deal of the fact about that long and mysterious time
will never be known, it is without doubt true that Church leaders and
clerics consciously controlled and manipulated access to the available
information.  That this had a marked effect on the shape and tone of
society, on the interchange of ideas, and on the common attitudes toward
learning in the west is also indisputable.

   Now my speculation is that the early Church was filled with religious
radicals and that such people tend to produce societies that are less
flexible, more doctrinaire, and in general prone to lesser social and
technoligical advancement.  This concept is drawn from the known
experiences of Galileo and Copernicus (albeit at a later period).  While
notable inquisitive minds were at work -- both clerical and lay --
throughout the middle ages, there was a definite discouragement of
research into philosophies, arts, and sciences of other cultures.  Since
a great deal of the mathematics, medical science, and other learning of
the "ancients" was recorded in the Middle East when the Roman Empire's
borders were at their greatest extent, this information was excluded
from western teaching for many, many years.  In similar ways, the Church
excluded teaching of any information contradictory to its accepted
interpretation of Biblical readings.  (Not too unlike the "Evolution vs.
Creation" arguments of some today.)

   Motive?  Power, of course.  From the persecuted minority to the
persecuting majority in only a few hundred years.  Incredible, but true.
Today, they would write a book.  And by allying the Church with the
feudal nobility (read: today's nobility as well), the clergy became
supporters of the status quo.  Which included preventing the masses of
European people from gaining access to the knowledge (Why couldn't
Johnny read then?).  Consider also, that for most of the period from
A. D. 300 or so until the founding of secular schools (I think around
1000 A. D.) that all of the educated people in Europe were in the clergy
and had taken a vow of celibacy.  The effect was that the gene pool of
the intellectuals was constantly being culled.

   So I wonder just how innocent the Church was of the darkness of the
age during which it flourished in significance as it has in no other.
Comments?

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (09/06/85)

In article <3919@cca.UUCP> diegob@cca.UUCP (Diego Gonzalez) writes:

>> PLEASE!!!Don't blame the Catholic Church for the Dark ages! It DID NOT
>> Cause the Dark Ages! (Perpetuated it a bit maybe...but it did not
>> start it!  The COLLAPSE of the ROMAN EMPIRE did that.) The Church was
>> the few institutions that was able to retain a bit of the knowledge
>> through that time period of what had been known before.  (Note I did
>> not say ALL of the knowledge, NOR an unbiased viewpoint.  It was just
>> better than nothing.)
>
>"someting that affects us all.."  That is: to what extent did the Church
>contribute to the dimness of the "Dark" ages.

While I am interested in this particular subject, and agree it is worth
some discussion, I'm not sure this is the right place to do so.
All I wanted to point out was that the Church DIDN'T start the Middle
Ages.
Now ,as to where's the best place to discuss this -- any suggestions?

					Pam Pincha-Wagener

smkindersley@water.UUCP (sumo kindersley) (09/08/85)

>    So I wonder just how innocent the Church was of the darkness of the
> age during which it flourished in significance as it has in no other.
> Comments?

you are in the wrong newsgroup.