[net.legal] Strange academic murder case

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (09/11/85)

I pulled the following out of a net.bizarre article; I had seen the tail
end of a reference to this case on a network news show, but I have no
real info about it at all. Surely there are some Stanford people on the
net with detailed knowledge about this case? Could you please fill us
(me) in on what this is all about? (Info on motivation, history of the
parties involved, what department was this man in, etc.?)

One thing I recall from the network news coverage -- Mr. Streleski
claimed to be a member in good standing of the Stanford alumni
association, and that he had a right to go back to Stanford; the
Stanford campus cops, though, said that they'd arrest him if he set foot
on campus. Any more info on this aspect?

In article <5090002@csd2.UUCP> dimitrov@csd2.UUCP (Isaac Dimitrovsky) writes:

>Theodore Streleski, who beat his adviser at Stanford to death with
>a hammer for making fun of his nineteen years of trying to earn a
>Phd, was freed today after seven years in prison. Mr Streleski
>insisted that he felt no remorse for his crime. He stated:
>"I have no intention of killing again. On the other hand, I cannot
>predict the future."

Post followups to net.legal, or mail to me:
Will Martin

UUCP/USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin   or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (09/12/85)

> One thing I recall from the network news coverage -- Mr. Streleski
> claimed to be a member in good standing of the Stanford alumni
> association, and that he had a right to go back to Stanford; the
> Stanford campus cops, though, said that they'd arrest him if he set foot
> on campus. Any more info on this aspect?

I doubt that gives you the right to be on campus.  It doesn't at the
Universities out here, but they are likely of extending to you the
courtesy of not booting you off if your an alum.  However, the JHU
did prosecute (non-alumni) people for trespassing.  As we don't have
no trespassing signs, they must have informed the person that he was
to leave and that he was not welcome to return.  When he did (actually
the third or fourth time he did), they had him locked up.