[net.legal] Rape now "legal" in Missouri

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (09/10/85)

Just saw the following, from a front-page article in the St. Louis Post
Dispatch for today (10 Sept): due to a clerical error in the final draft
of the state's newly-passed and signed crime bill, the old statute
outlawing rape (actually "forcible sexual intercourse", I believe) was
repealed, but the proposed new version (which had been rejected) was
not enacted. [What happened was that a clerk left in the line that
repealed the old law instead of deleting it when the section on the new
statute was removed.]

There are now all sorts of scurryings about, issuing "amended" texts
(which some lawyers say are invalid), considering having the state
supreme court take some action, maybe reconvening the legislature, etc.

We'll see what happens...

Will

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (09/12/85)

In article <1417@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>Just saw the following, from a front-page article in the St. Louis Post
>Dispatch for today (10 Sept): due to a clerical error in the final draft
>of the state's newly-passed and signed crime bill, the old statute
>outlawing rape (actually "forcible sexual intercourse", I believe) was
>repealed, but the proposed new version (which had been rejected) was
>not enacted.

Well, you can always sue them for assault, battery, mental anguish.
Of course, you'll only get satisfaction from rich rapists that way.

Dave Kirby			"There is no great genius without
RCA Cylix Communications	 some touch of madness." - Seneca
Memphis, TN     ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave

(The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
those of RCA Cylix. They may not even reflect my own.)