[net.misc] net.misc.coke to go away

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (10/08/85)

Net.misc.coke was created as a temporary group for postings about the
new vs. old Coke.  The time has come for the group to fade away since
the volume of postings has droppedd off considerably.

I will delete the group in a week or so.  Further discussions of colas
and the marketing of same should go into (ONE of): net.cooks, net.misc,
or net.consumers.  PLEASE do not post articles to all three at once!
--
Gene "3 months and counting slowly" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Andrew S. Gerber) (10/10/85)

In article <1433@gatech.CSNET>, spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) writes:
> Net.misc.coke was created as a temporary group for postings about the
> new vs. old Coke.  The time has come for the group to fade away since
> the volume of postings has droppedd off considerably.
>
> I will delete the group in a week or so.  Further discussions of colas
> and the marketing of same should go into (ONE of): net.cooks, net.misc,
> or net.consumers.  PLEASE do not post articles to all three at once!

Oh well,

   It's been fun.  I enjoyed reading all the flames about Coke for a while,
and although they've dropped off, I expect that some people are still reading
this newsgroup:

SO:

    A FINAL POLL:  (results will be published in net.misc)

A)  Did you drink Old Coke before the change?
    (if you didn't, a response is not even neccesary)

B)  If you did, what soda are you consuming now?

  Send replies to:

    ARPA:  gerber@mit-athena.MIT.EDU
	   gerber@mit-mc.MIT.EDU

    UUCP:  decvax!mit-eddie!mit-amt!gerber
	   decvax!mit-athena!gerber

				Thanks,

					Andrew Gerber

usenet@ucbvax.ARPA (USENET News Administration) (10/10/85)

I am not sure it is time for net.misc.coke to disappear.
I think the Coca-Cola company has pulled a fast one with
the so-called "Classic Coke". I am certain it is not the
same as old coke. I guess the good old days are really
and truly gone, sacrificed on the altar of short sighted
capitalist greed by the large corporations ...

(this comes from a hard core "old coke" addict of many years,
 now drinking excessive amounts of coffee ...)

ps- Are there any protests against classic coke going on?

09876955@sdcc13.UUCP (09876955) (10/11/85)

In article <10603@ucbvax.ARPA> tedrick@ucbernie.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:

> I am not sure it is time for net.misc.coke to disappear.
> I think the Coca-Cola company has pulled a fast one with
> the so-called "Classic Coke". I am certain it is not the
> same as old coke. I guess the good old days are really
> and truly gone, sacrificed on the altar of short sighted
> capitalist greed by the large corporations ...
>
> (this comes from a hard core "old coke" addict of many years,
> now drinking excessive amounts of coffee ...)
>
> ps- Are there any protests against classic coke going on?

Give net.misc.coke some time.  Things are starting to flame up
again.

     PROTESTS?!? How 'bout the FULL PAGE ad in the L.A. Times? From the
National "Real" Sugar People? It was a while ago, but the jist of
the article was on the order: "In 19xx, Coca-Cola used real sugar.
How can they bring back "Classic Coke" without pure sugar?"
Something like that. It went on to expound the virtues of cane
sugar, etc.

     There are also smaller protests, on the order of individuals...
Do you walk by "New Coke" without thinking something negative?  That's
the kind of protest that works.  Negative thought has never sold
anything.

     Does Coke have a VAX on the net? Hmm.. I have a little shell
script that could do some damage...

					  -Jim Hayes
					   UCSD EECS DEPARTMENT
"Thank God for Mrs. Olsen... Coffee has never looked better."
{ucbvax, ihnp4, decvax, scgvaxd}!sdcsvax!sdcc13!09876955

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (10/16/85)

In article <322@sdcc13.UUCP> 09876955@sdcc13.UUCP (Jimmy the Kid) writes:

>Give net.misc.coke some time.  Things are starting to flame up
>again.

Change the name to net.quaff and allow discussion on all beverages.

>     There are also smaller protests, on the order of individuals...
>Do you walk by "New Coke" without thinking something negative?  That's
>the kind of protest that works.  Negative thought has never sold
>anything.

A friend recently told me that a marketing survey has Classic Coke outselling
New Coke (hereafter referred to as Croke) by 9:1. However, the Coke execs
were smart enough to put Croke in all McDonalds fountains. This guarantees
that Croke will make a profit and seem like a viable addition to the
line of Coca Cola brand soft drinks.

>					  -Jim Hayes
>					   UCSD EECS DEPARTMENT
>"Thank God for Mrs. Olsen... Coffee has never looked better."
>{ucbvax, ihnp4, decvax, scgvaxd}!sdcsvax!sdcc13!09876955

Be careful with the coffee you buy. Try to find out what country the beans
come from. Maxwell House uses a blend of Columbian and South African. By
purchasing Maxwell House coffee you assist General Foods in supporting
apartheid by doing business with South Africa. If you don't think General
Foods should be punished then buy a different product from them instead of
Maxwell House coffee. They also market Yuban, which is pure Columbian.