[net.misc] hunting season is here again

johnbl@tekig5.UUCP (John Blankenagel) (09/27/85)

{}
    Well, it is that time of year again when all you bleading heart (you
    know who you are) anti-deer-hunt people get to watch or think about
    a convoy of four-wheel-drives with enough guns and ammunition to
    conquer a small country head for the hills to  "thin"  out the deer
    herd.  But I don't want you people to think all the conversation about
    deer hunting has fallen on deaf ears.  As I am looking down the sights
    at my (hopefully) victim, the things I have read will be going through
    my mind.  And as the hot lead leaves the barrel on its mission of death
    I will look closely at my prey.  And if perchance, I should see a
    small tear ebbing from the big brown eye of the gallant young buck . . .
    I will shoot it again for being such a spineless wimp!

    John Blankenagel

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (10/10/85)

>     Well, it is that time of year again .................................
>     .......................................As I am looking down the sights
>     at my (hopefully) victim, the things I have read will be going through
>     my mind.  And as the hot lead leaves the barrel on its mission of death
>     I will look closely at my prey.  And if perchance, I should see a
>     small tear ebbing from the big brown eye of the gallant young buck . . .
>     I will shoot it again for being such a spineless wimp!
>
>     John Blankenagel

It seems to me that the spineless wimp is the one the one who has to use a gun
to kill a defenseless deer.  If you're interested in being a non wimp, why not
try bear hunting without a weapon?

al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) (10/15/85)

> >     I will shoot it again for being such a spineless wimp!
> >
> >     John Blankenagel
>
> It seems to me that the spineless wimp is the one the one who has to use a gun
> to kill a defenseless deer.  If you're interested in being a non wimp, why not
> try bear hunting without a weapon?

A couple years ago, some guy here in Arizona went Mountain Lion hunting
armed with just a Rambo-type knife. He wore some kind of a leather
corset/jockstrap to prevent the lion from disemboweling him with his
back claws (the way a kitty cat rakes your arm when you grab his belly)
He climbed up a tree after the cat and killed him, getting some
slashes on his arms in return. It was written up in the paper.
Now, in my opinion, this was about as unpleasant and bloodthirsty as a
sport can get, but I've got to give the guy credit for one thing:
He's the only hunter I've heard of who really gave the animal an even chance.

Alan Filipski, UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A
{seismo|ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!al  |   ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!mot!al

tomczak@harvard.ARPA (Bill Tomczak) (10/17/85)

In article <385@mot.UUCP> al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) writes:
>A couple years ago, some guy here in Arizona went Mountain Lion hunting
>armed with just a Rambo-type knife. He wore some kind of a leather
>corset/jockstrap to prevent the lion from disemboweling him with his
>back claws (the way a kitty cat rakes your arm when you grab his belly)
>He climbed up a tree after the cat and killed him, getting some
>slashes on his arms in return. It was written up in the paper.
>Now, in my opinion, this was about as unpleasant and bloodthirsty as a
>sport can get, but I've got to give the guy credit for one thing:
>He's the only hunter I've heard of who really gave the animal an even chance.

I agree!  I guess I'm what you might call a 'granola' who doesn't
believe in killing and hunting as so-called 'sport'.  Guns and nuclear
missles only provide a sense control and power.  At least this guy in
Arizona would get a clearer sense of what death really is about.

I recently saw a Star Trek episode in which Doctor McCoy expresses to
Spock his lack of desire for the Vulcan ability to feel almost directly
(or something like that) the pain of others.  Spock says something like
"Perhaps your history on Earth would be less bloody if you had the same
ability".

I should probably point out that I'm not a vegetarian so my views on
killing can't be as simple as stated here.  But I figured you all don't
want to hear about that.

Bill tomczak@harvard.{ARPA, UUCP}

Please don't flame, I already know that I'm lower than slime mold!