[net.legal] corporal punishment in schools

T3B@psuvm.BITNET (08/26/85)

As a parent, occasional school district committee person, and ACLU
member, I've discovered an odd situation here in Pennsylvania.
Corporal punishment, administered by a paddle, is occasionally used
in our local district.  It is "legal" in a curious way: it is not
specifically legalized in statutes, but is permitted in the school
code, written by the Dept. of Education, to be established and
regulated by local School Boards (which are elected in most parts of
the State, but appointed in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh). In my own
district, State College, a university town, the punishment is used
fairly infrequently: perhaps half a dozen times a year, officially.
It is an anomolous situation: the state government's child abuse hotline
specifically refuses to handle any calls relating to abuse of students
by school officials.  The punishment is, I believe, the only case in which,
aside from capital punishment, physical punishment is permitted. For example,
it is clearly against the law to corporally punish prisoners, mental patients,
head start clients, etc.  But public (and private) school students are in
a unique legal and moral situation, where, without appeal, they may be
subjected to the pain and humiliation of a semi-public (it must be
witnessed) beating.

I would be interested to see postings that describe the situation in
other areas, and to read the net's views on corporal punishment as a
form of school discipline.

-- Tom Benson
   Penn State University
   227 Sparks Bldg., University Park, PA 16802
   814-238-5277 (ATT)

     {akgua,allegra,ihnp4,cbosgd}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!t3b   (UUCP)

     T3B@PSUVM    (BITNET)           76044,3701  (COMPUSERVE)

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (08/27/85)

> As a parent, occasional school district committee person, and ACLU
> member, I've discovered an odd situation here in Pennsylvania.
> Corporal punishment, administered by a paddle, is occasionally used
> in our local district.
>
> -- Tom Benson
>    Penn State University
>    227 Sparks Bldg., University Park, PA 16802
>    814-238-5277 (ATT)
>
>      {akgua,allegra,ihnp4,cbosgd}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!t3b   (UUCP)
>
>      T3B@PSUVM    (BITNET)           76044,3701  (COMPUSERVE)

What's so odd about corporal punishment.  When I was a kid, I used to get it
in school, and sometimes at home for getting it in school.  Every time I
got it, I DESERVED IT.  What I find odd is the amount of abuse teachers get
from students.  The amount of lack of disipline by students.  The disregard
of respect for the instructors.  The passionate embraces I'm told occurs
commonly in public hallways.  The heavy use of drugs on school grounds.  The
total lack of any kind of dress code.
These things bother me a lot more than corporal punishment, and believe me
when I tell you, I know first hand about the paddle (ouch).
P.S.  What also bothers me is the ACLU, based on an admittedly small amount
of information from reading the newspapers.

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (08/27/85)

> I've discovered an odd situation here in Pennsylvania.
> Corporal punishment, administered by a paddle, is occasionally used
> in our local district.  It is "legal" in a curious way: is used
> fairly infrequently: perhaps half a dozen times a year, officially.
> But public (and private) school students are in
> a unique legal and moral situation, where, without appeal, they may be
> subjected to the pain and humiliation of a semi-public (it must be
> witnessed) beating.

In Pennsylvania, public school teachers including my wife have the
rights of a parent in disciplining a child.  If a parent can spank
a child, then the teacher can.  Any other restrictions are provided
by the local school board. No one has the right to beat a child in Pa.
The reason spanking is prohibited or restricted in most Pa. schools
is due to the parents that sue school districts.

The most important item in school discipline, is that it be consistent
and enforced.  Kids respect rules and parents and teachers that care
enough about them try to teach them right from wrong and instill in
them a sensitivity to antisocial behavior.

Believe me, I don't envy my wife one minute spending each day in
classrooms with 35 eight and ninth graders.  Teachers need to keep
discipline or the taxpayers are just wasting their money on the
teachers and more importantly, denying other children their education.

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (08/28/85)

>What's so odd about corporal punishment.  When I was a kid, I used to get it
>in school, and sometimes at home for getting it in school.  Every time I
>got it, I DESERVED IT.  What I find odd is the amount of abuse teachers get
...and other stuff...
>These things bother me a lot more than corporal punishment, and believe me
>when I tell you, I know first hand about the paddle (ouch).
... and more stuff.
At the risk of repeating myself, I ask: how does this relate to anything
legal?
First of all, this is flame-quality prose. Second, it shows a staggering lack
of knowledge of child psych., and leads me to worry about the attitude of
the author towards people in general.
Followup is to net.flame only because I dont subscribe to that group. If
net.legal doesn't get more sensible, it ought to be dumped or divided .

Disclaimer:(rare) Not a lawyer or a psychologist.

        Darwin's Dad (Carl Witthoft)
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!carl
	@ Adaptive Optics Assoc., 54 Cambridgepark Dr.
	Cambridge, MA 02140	617-864-0201

	"Put me in, Coach. I'm ready to play today.
	 Look at me! I can be centerfield."

T3B@psuvm.BITNET (08/28/85)

11212@Rochester.uucp adds a P.S.:

>What also bothers me is the ACLU, based on an admittedly
>small amount of information from reading the newspapers.

I mentioned my ACLU membership in the original posting only because
I wanted to indicate the context of my remarks, and my orientation.
I'd be happy to get into a discussion of the merits of the American
Civil Liberties Union, though perhaps that should be done in either
net.legal or net.politics, and kept out of net.kids.  Followup to
either group and we can see whether other netters would find such a
discussion useful.  Just to get things started, I'd note that ACLU
has been a group that primarily advocates procedural fairness in
application of the U.S. Constitution, with a special emphasis on the
Bill of Rights.  What bothers you about that?

Tom Benson   T3B at PSUVM (Bitnet)

lkk@teddy.UUCP (08/28/85)

In article <658@rduxb.UUCP> smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) writes:
>> I've discovered an odd situation here in Pennsylvania.
>> Corporal punishment, administered by a paddle, is occasionally used
>> in our local district.  It is "legal" in a curious way: is used
>> fairly infrequently: perhaps half a dozen times a year, officially.
>> But public (and private) school students are in
>> a unique legal and moral situation, where, without appeal, they may be
>> subjected to the pain and humiliation of a semi-public (it must be
>> witnessed) beating.
>
>In Pennsylvania, public school teachers including my wife have the
>rights of a parent in disciplining a child.  If a parent can spank
>a child, then the teacher can.  Any other restrictions are provided
>by the local school board. No one has the right to beat a child in Pa.
>The reason spanking is prohibited or restricted in most Pa. schools
>is due to the parents that sue school districts.
>
>The most important item in school discipline, is that it be consistent
>and enforced.  Kids respect rules and parents and teachers that care
>enough about them try to teach them right from wrong and instill in
>them a sensitivity to antisocial behavior.
>
>Believe me, I don't envy my wife one minute spending each day in
>classrooms with 35 eight and ninth graders.  Teachers need to keep
>discipline or the taxpayers are just wasting their money on the
>teachers and more importantly, denying other children their education.

Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.  If a teacher
can't command the respect of students through non-violent means,
there is something wrong with the teacher.

My mother teaches second grade in one of the nastier areas of the
Bronx, in New York City.  She maintains order by letting the
students know, in no uncertain terms, that she will be fair with
them, but NOT TAKE ANY CRAP.  She has their respect, and
never resorts to corporal punishment (which is illegal).

BTW, these are tough streetwise kids who are normally quite
unruly (to put it nicely) outside of the classroom.

--

Sport Death,
Larry Kolodney

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (08/29/85)

> At the risk of repeating myself, I ask: how does this relate to anything
> legal?

The discussion is about Pennsylvania school law, hence, legal.  OK?????

smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (08/29/85)

> Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.  If a teacher
> can't command the respect of students through non-violent means,
> there is something wrong with the teacher.
>
> My mother teaches second grade in one of the nastier areas of the
> Bronx, in New York City.  She maintains order by letting the
> students know, in no uncertain terms, that she will be fair with
> them, but NOT TAKE ANY CRAP.  She has their respect, and
> never resorts to corporal punishment (which is illegal).

Is NOT TAKE ANY CRAP emotional terrorism?  Hence, fear??

Actually back when paddling was used, the greatest fear was not of
the paddle, since life has many more displeasures than that.  The
fear was of the parents finding out that one got paddles and the
they would really catch hell.

Today you call the parents to express concern about a child,
and 50% of the time the parents don't want to be bothered.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (08/29/85)

> I mentioned my ACLU membership in the original posting only because
> I wanted to indicate the context of my remarks, and my orientation.
> I'd be happy to get into a discussion of the merits of the American
> Civil Liberties Union, though perhaps that should be done in either
> net.legal or net.politics, and kept out of net.kids.  Followup to
> either group and we can see whether other netters would find such a
> discussion useful.  Just to get things started, I'd note that ACLU
> has been a group that primarily advocates procedural fairness in
> application of the U.S. Constitution, with a special emphasis on the
> Bill of Rights.  What bothers you about that?
>
> Tom Benson   T3B at PSUVM (Bitnet)

Here in Rochester the ACLU prevented the police dept. from issuing good
driving tickets to motorists deserving them.  It was only a good will drive
by the police dept.,  but the ACLU said it was unconstitutional.

When that 15 yr. old Russian boy wanted to stay in America and not leave the
country with his parents several years ago, the ACLU said he must go back.

These are a few examples of where the ACLU seems to 'pop' out of the wood
work and get involved in other peoples affairs, even when they're not
invited to get involved.  Right or wrong, I get the impression that the ACLU
wraps the Bill of Rights around a lead pipe and uses it to 'get' peoples
attention in order to protect them.

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (08/29/85)

> > I've discovered an odd situation here in Pennsylvania.
> > Corporal punishment, administered by a paddle, is occasionally used
> > in our local district.  It is "legal" in a curious way: is used
> > fairly infrequently: perhaps half a dozen times a year, officially.
> > But public (and private) school students are in
> > a unique legal and moral situation, where, without appeal, they may be
> > subjected to the pain and humiliation of a semi-public (it must be
> > witnessed) beating.
>
> In Pennsylvania, public school teachers including my wife have the
> rights of a parent in disciplining a child.  If a parent can spank
> a child, then the teacher can.

What about parents who don't believe in corporal punishment
for their children? I have spanked our four-year-old twice
so far, only as a last resort and after many warnings, but
I don't want anyone other than my wife and me to dole out
spankings. That is my job.

> Believe me, I don't envy my wife one minute spending each day in
> classrooms with 35 eight and ninth graders.  Teachers need to keep
> discipline or the taxpayers are just wasting their money on the
> teachers and more importantly, denying other children their education.

I don't envy her either. But, who said that corporal punishment is
effective? I'm not sure it is, after my experiences with my son.

-todd jones

ned@scirtp.UUCP (Ned Robie) (08/30/85)

Anyone that spanks or paddles my kid in school or anywhere without
my permission is going to incur my wrath, I don't care what the reason.

One of my most difficult responsibilities as a parent is knowing when to
inflict physical punishment upon my children.  It is certainly a
responsibility that I would never entrust to strangers or even our closest
friends.

-- Ned Robie

mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) (08/30/85)

>P.S.  What also bothers me is the ACLU, based on an admittedly small amount
>of information from reading the newspapers.

Like Tom Benson (who posted the original concerned note about corporal
punishment), I'm an ACLU member.  I think their positions have been
consistent, vigorous, and worthwhile -- within the limits imposed on
any organization that has a diverse membership and a long history.
Taken all in all, I'd say they're one of the very best of the political
or quasi-political organizations in American life.
	So, what bothers you about the ACLU?  Let's try for a calm,
serious discussion of this, abstaining from flamage all around.  Since
you offered the criticism, it's your option to set the agenda.  But to
save time, let me propose some topics and ask whether net readers object
to ACLU positions or activities in any of these areas:

1.  Defense of free speech for unpopular or unsavory people and groups
    (e.g. Nazis).

2.  Emphasis on `establishment clause' before `free exercise' clause in
    freedom of religion (e.g. civic-sponsored Christmas displays).

3.  Rights of suspects.

4.  Family and government -- in re Walter Polovchak.

Of course the list remains open for whatever you'd like to bring up.  I
don't promise to defend them 100%, but I do think usually the ACLU position
makes sense.
--

            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago
               ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mmar

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (08/30/85)

> > Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.  If a teacher
> > can't command the respect of students through non-violent means,
> > there is something wrong with the teacher.
> > My mother teaches second grade in one of the nastier areas of the
> > Bronx, in New York City.  She maintains order by letting the
> > students know, in no uncertain terms, that she will be fair with
> > them, but NOT TAKE ANY CRAP.  She has their respect, and
> > never resorts to corporal punishment (which is illegal).
>
> Is NOT TAKE ANY CRAP emotional terrorism?  Hence, fear??
Emotional Terrorism????   Come on, get serious! Terrorism isn't close to
being the appropriate word here.  I think relief is more like it.
The best teachers that I had when I was in school were the ones that made it
known right from the start  that they weren't going to take any "crap".  When I had a teacher for
the first time, this is the first thing that was established.   Who's the boss?
And the tough (good) teachers made it clear that they weren't going to tolerate
any bullsh*t.  When I knew that the teacher was serious, I would knuckle down
and get to work, and wouldn't spend time trying to think of ways to fool around,because I knew that, at least in this class, I could get into trouble.
> Actually back when paddling was used, the greatest fear was not of
> the paddle, since life has many more displeasures than that.  The
> fear was of the parents finding out that one got paddles and the
> they would really catch hell.
> Today you call the parents to express concern about a child,
> and 50% of the time the parents don't want to be bothered.
And that's a damn shame!  I fully intend to be part of a team, working with
my child's teacher.  At the beginning of the school year, I will let the
teacher(s) know that I am a parent that cares, and that I want the teacher
to not hesitate to call if there seems to be a problem brewing concerning my
child.

Mike Clifford

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (08/31/85)

> > As a parent, occasional school district committee person, and ACLU
> > member, I've discovered an odd situation here in Pennsylvania.
> > Corporal punishment, administered by a paddle, is occasionally used
> > in our local district.
> >
> > -- Tom Benson
> >    Penn State University
> >    227 Sparks Bldg., University Park, PA 16802
> >    814-238-5277 (ATT)
> >
> >      {akgua,allegra,ihnp4,cbosgd}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!t3b   (UUCP)
> >
> >      T3B@PSUVM    (BITNET)           76044,3701  (COMPUSERVE)
> >

> What's so odd about corporal punishment.  When I was a kid, I used to get it
> in school, and sometimes at home for getting it in school.  Every time I
> got it, I DESERVED IT.  What I find odd is the amount of abuse teachers get
> from students.  The amount of lack of disipline by students.  The disregard
> of respect for the instructors.  The passionate embraces I'm told occurs
> commonly in public hallways.  The heavy use of drugs on school grounds.  The
> total lack of any kind of dress code.
> These things bother me a lot more than corporal punishment, and believe me
> when I tell you, I know first hand about the paddle (ouch).
> P.S.  What also bothers me is the ACLU, based on an admittedly small amount
> of information from reading the newspapers.

Funny, I got the paddle several times in jr. high school and I NEVER DESERVED
IT. I won't argue whether or not children may deserve being paddled. But I can
very honestly tell you that I was unjustly accused of wrong doing and paddled
for it. My parents thought that I deserved it until they came to realize that
the Vice Principal guilty of paddling me unjustly had a bit of a screw loose.
This man singled out students that he thought were "bad" and persecuted them.
I will give you just one of many examples to make the point: After learning
about the efficacy of boycotts in American History class, I mentioned jokingly
to a school counselor that the service at the student store (where cokes were
sold at lunch time) was particularly bad when he was waiting on people and
that to get the point across the students should boycott the store when he
was working in it. The counselor laughed. I laughed. The counselor walked
away. I turned around and was collared by the Principal. I was sent to the
Vice Principal (odd eh?) and I was suspended from school for attempting to
start a riot. That is what the official transcript says. He admitted, in front
of my parents, that the evidence of my transgression was my intent to start
a boycott. The man was totally oblivious to the fact that it was said in
jest, and to the fact that a boycott is not a riot. At that point my parents
started to believe I was being persecuted.

As for your other concerns. This vice principal was constantly enforcing the
dress code (walked around with a tape measure to measure girls skirt lengths,
tugged on boys shirts to make sure they were tucked in appropriately and not
"just rolled up", etc.). Schools should concentrate on developing a students
mental discipline and forget about petty garbage like hair length or dress
code.

You are right to be more concerned about drugs and illegal activities on
school grounds. Most of these things are caused by deap seated problems
with our society and the orientation of our schools. We will not solve these
problems by beating our children into submission.

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (09/01/85)

In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
>	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.

How did you arrive at this conclusion?  School children have been
disciplined with fear for generations.  It didn't do much for their
creativity, but they did learn the basic skills.  With no discipline,
students learn nothing at all.

Would you also apply your assertion to the criminal justice system?
Is it better to allow unrestricted crime, rather than threaten potential
criminals with retaliation (prison)?

>	My mother teaches second grade in one of the nastier areas of the
>	Bronx, in New York City.  She maintains order by letting the
>	students know, in no uncertain terms, that she will be fair with
>	them, but NOT TAKE ANY CRAP.  She has their respect, and
>	never resorts to corporal punishment (which is illegal).

What would she do with a student who INSISTED on "giving her crap",
so as to make a reputation with the other kids by being more powerful
than the teacher?  Bluffing may work with second graders, but it won't
work with older students.  Furthermore, once the students realize
the teacher's stern demeanor is only a bluff, it won't work anymore
with anybody.

	Frank Silbermann

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/02/85)

> In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
>	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.

I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.
Parent :    Time for bed.
4yr old:    Nope.

Parent :    Please, time for bed now.
4yr old:    Nope.

Parent :    You must go to bed now.
4yr old:    Nope.

And so on, what would you do?  Remember, you said discipline based on fear is
better than no disipline at all.  You're not allowed to threaten to take his
teddy bear away.  You're not allowed to tell him he can't have ice cream if
he doesn't listen.  Are not these tactics based on threatening the child with
fear, i.e. no ice cream, take away your buddy the teddy bear.  I really want to
know what you would do without some kind of threat.  By the way, you are not
allowed to bodily carry him to bed, that would be physically taking matters in
hand and over powering him with your size.  Besides, he would just climb out of
bed and come downstairs.  What WOULD you do?

prg@mgwess.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) (09/03/85)

If my son ever gets a spanking in school, he'll get another one
when he gets home!!

Phil Gunsul

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (09/03/85)

In article <11316@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.
>Parent :    Time for bed.
>4yr old:    Nope.
>
>Parent :    Please, time for bed now.
>4yr old:    Nope.
>
>Parent :    You must go to bed now.
>4yr old:    Nope.
>
>And so on, what would you do?  Remember, you said discipline based on fear is
>better than no disipline at all.  You're not allowed to threaten to take his
>teddy bear away.  You're not allowed to tell him he can't have ice cream if
>he doesn't listen.  Are not these tactics based on threatening the child with
>fear, i.e. no ice cream, take away your buddy the teddy bear.  I really want to
>know what you would do without some kind of threat.  By the way, you are not
>allowed to bodily carry him to bed, that would be physically taking matters in
>hand and over powering him with your size.  Besides, he would just climb out of
>bed and come downstairs.  What WOULD you do?

I don't know what I would do, but here's what my parents did:
whenever they noticed that I wasn't in a mood for going to bed, they
played games with me that led me to bed.  Here are the two games that
worked for a while:

1 - racing to see who would get into bed first.  Everybody would start
undressing really fast and whoever got into bed first would win.  I always
won.  I can't believe I actually fell for that, but I did, and I got a
real kick out of winning against my parents.  They probably got a real
kick out of being so sneaky.

2 - if I was particularly excited, they would turn going to bed into a
really physically exciting event by doing the following: one parent
(my father since he was the strongest) would hold me by the wrists,
the other (my mother) by the ankles, then they'd swing me in the air
back and forth a few times and drop me on the bed the last time.
They never forced this on me either.  I had to beg for it since it was
so much fun.

There was also a whole ceremony involved with going to bed.  It
involved some tucking, some kissing, glasses of water being brought,
being allowed to get up *ONCE* to go to the bathroom (the second time,
they became really unpleasant!); when I was under 4, they would read to
me in bed and when I was older allowed to read one more chapter of a
book I was reading, or being allowed to finish the chapter.  I could
also sing myself to sleep for a while.

--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

lkk@teddy.UUCP (09/03/85)

In article <14@unc.unc.UUCP> fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) writes:
>In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
>>	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.
>
>How did you arrive at this conclusion?  School children have been
>disciplined with fear for generations.  It didn't do much for their
>creativity, but they did learn the basic skills.  With no discipline,
>students learn nothing at all.

And for generations, schoolchildren have been violent, and repressed, and have
developed moral codes based on avoidance of punishment.  Our entire screwed
up world/society reflects these influences.

I do not advocate no discipline.  As a previous poster mentioned, the
best discipline requires no threats.  An excellent teacher commands the respect
of students merely by showing that he/she is of high quality and thus is
worthy of respect.

The best form of discipline is self-discipline.  The good teacher should be able
to instill this in students by teaching them WHY discipline is good, not only
THAT it is good.

An analogy can be made between a good teacher and a good government.  In
governments that command that respect of their citizenry, heavy handed tactics
are usually uneccesary to enforce the law.  Thus, in western democracies, the
state tends to be relatively liberal with respect to human rights.  In
governments which have not earned the respect of their citizenry (USSR,
Nigeria), the government must use "corporal punishment".  And in those
countries, people become cynical and opportunistic, seeing avoidance of
punishment as the only impediment to crime.

>Would you also apply your assertion to the criminal justice system?
>Is it better to allow unrestricted crime, rather than threaten potential
>criminals with retaliation (prison)?

I oppose Corporal Punishment or Capital Punishment in the prison system.
I favor seeking ways to eliminate the need for detention as well, but
unfortunately, detention is the only short term solution to violent crime
probelems.  The need for detention will go down when the level of respect goes
up.  that respect has not been earned in certain sectors of our society.

>>	My mother teaches second grade in one of the nastier areas of the
>>	Bronx, in New York City.  She maintains order by letting the
>>	students know, in no uncertain terms, that she will be fair with
>>	them, but NOT TAKE ANY CRAP.  She has their respect, and
>>	never resorts to corporal punishment (which is illegal).
>
>What would she do with a student who INSISTED on "giving her crap",
>so as to make a reputation with the other kids by being more powerful
>than the teacher?  Bluffing may work with second graders, but it won't
>work with older students.  Furthermore, once the students realize
>the teacher's stern demeanor is only a bluff, it won't work anymore
>with anybody.

Students are still subject to disciplinary action other than corporal
punishment.  In the worst case, expulsion is a remedy.

The key to my mother's discipline system is not a stern demeanor.
Its essence lies in her ability to level with students.  Letting them know
that they are there to learn, and  being honest with them as to the results of
their behavior, cause them to respect her as a person.  They respect her because
she respects them.

--

lkk@teddy.UUCP (09/04/85)

In article <11316@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>> In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
>>	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.
>>
>I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.
>Parent :    Time for bed.
>4yr old:    Nope.
>
>Parent :    Please, time for bed now.
>4yr old:    Nope.
>
>Parent :    You must go to bed now.
>4yr old:    Nope.
>
>And so on, what would you do?  Remember, you said discipline based on fear is
>better than no disipline at all.  You're not allowed to threaten to take his
>teddy bear away.  You're not allowed to tell him he can't have ice cream if
>he doesn't listen.  Are not these tactics based on threatening the child with
>fear, i.e. no ice cream, take away your buddy the teddy bear.  I really want to
>know what you would do without some kind of threat.  By the way, you are not
>allowed to bodily carry him to bed, that would be physically taking matters in
>hand and over powering him with your size.  Besides, he would just climb out of
>bed and come downstairs.  What WOULD you do?

Clearly there ARE situations where taking matters into your own hands
is the only appropriate action.  For instance, a newborn baby must be treated
in such a way, since you can't communicate with it at all, really.

BUT, there  comes a time in a child's emotional development when she does
become open to reason (i.e. starts to develop a superego).  At that point, there
are two paths you can choose in guiding the childs behavior.  You can simply
decide that you know what is best for the child, and she WILL obey, or else.
OR, you can decide that you have some ideas that you would like to convey to
the child, and you can attempt to develop in the child a deep understanding of
those ideas, so that eventually the child actually beleives in them herself.
BETTER YET, you can attempt develop in the child a strong sense of self so that
she might develop her own set of moral beliefs.

TO RETURN TO YOUR IMMEDDIATE QUESTION:  Well, clearly the answer is to hang the
child upside down while sticking pointy sticks under her skin, until she begs
to go to bed.. :-; Seriously, you have a number of options, depending on the
emotional maturity of the child.  You might try explaining why it is important
to go to bed at a reasonable hour.  You might try to understand exactly what is
motivating her to want to stay up late (such as the TV being on, or guests
being around), and remove that impetus (at least untill she falls asleep).  Or
you could, lovingly, carry her into bed, tell her a bedtime story, or what have
you.  Carrying her to bed does not HAVE to entail fear.

Its all a matter of intent.  If you use coercion as a last resort, and do it in
a way that will not leave emotional scars on the child, than I have no beef
with you.  But if you use violence and arbitrary terror to keep the child "in
line", you simply creating an emotionally crippled individual for the next
generation to deal with.

--

rdp@teddy.UUCP (09/04/85)

>>> In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
>>>	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.
>>>
>>I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.
>>Parent :    Time for bed.
>>4yr old:    Nope.
>>
>>Parent :    Please, time for bed now.
>>4yr old:    Nope.
>>
>>Parent :    You must go to bed now.
>>4yr old:    Nope.

This all brings up a somewhat tangential subject, the issue of what to do
about bedtime. It turns out to be related to discipline.

My oldest brother has 4 children. When his oldest was in the 3-6 year
range, he was punished by being sent to his room. Very quickly, he learned to
hate his room. As a result, it was impossible to put him to bed. He viewed
bedtime as yet more punishment. I had to baby sit for a while, and I punished
him by making him sit in a convenient (for me) corner until he seemed to cool
down, and then we would attempt to talk out the problem. (It is simply
amazing how articulate a very young child can be about things!) At night,
when I had to put him to bed, I would start playing with him in the living
room, then take him and whatever he was playing with up to his bedroom, and
allow him to play for a few minutes before putting him in bed. As a result,
it became very simple to make him go to bed.

Now that I have my own children (Nathaniel is now 18 months and has been
out of the crib since he was 15 months), I and my wife have tried to make
him feel as if the bedroom is his for his rest and enjoyment. We have even
found this great fitted sheet that has a small tent attached. Consequently
there has been absolutely no problems putting him to bed.

Discipline is as much (if not more) positive reinforcement as it is negative.

Dick Pierce

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (09/04/85)

[Ray Frank]
> In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
> >	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.
> >
> I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.
> Parent :    Time for bed.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> Parent :    Please, time for bed now.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> Parent :    You must go to bed now.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> And so on, what would you do?  Remember, you said discipline based on fear is
> better than no disipline at all.  You're not allowed to threaten to take his
> teddy bear away.  You're not allowed to tell him he can't have ice cream if
> he doesn't listen.  Are not these tactics based on threatening the child with
> fear, i.e. no ice cream, take away your buddy the teddy bear.  I really want to
> know what you would do without some kind of threat.  By the way, you are not
> allowed to bodily carry him to bed, that would be physically taking matters in
> hand and over powering him with your size.  Besides, he would just climb out of
> bed and come downstairs.  What WOULD you do?
-----
	Oh, come on, Ray.  Talk about setting up a straw man.  The restricting
of privileges (e.g. ice cream, teddy bears, etc.) is not the same thing as
hitting the kid.  We are allowed to do such things!  Something is greatly
askew in your value system if you think that these actions are equivalent
to physical violence.  I pity your kids (and you) if you would hit them
for not wanting to go to bed.
	Oh, by the way, I have two children, both well past
the age of four.  The above situation never occurred with either of them.
I wonder if it's heredity or environment!
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (09/04/85)

> > In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
> >	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.
> >
> I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.
> Parent :    Time for bed.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> Parent :    Please, time for bed now.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> Parent :    You must go to bed now.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> And so on, what would you do?  Remember, you said discipline based on fear is
> better than no disipline at all.  You're not allowed to threaten to take his
> teddy bear away.  You're not allowed to tell him he can't have ice cream if
> he doesn't listen.  Are not these tactics based on threatening the child with
> fear, i.e. no ice cream, take away your buddy the teddy bear.  I really want to
> know what you would do without some kind of threat.  By the way, you are not
> allowed to bodily carry him to bed, that would be physically taking matters in
> hand and over powering him with your size.  Besides, he would just climb out of
> bed and come downstairs.  What WOULD you do?

Why can't I bodily carry him to bed?  "Physically taking matters in hand and
over powering" is a much different situation than physical abuse which is what
this discussion is all about.  I don't think there's a parent around who would
balk at physically restraining an unruly child.  I make liberal use of "THE
TIMER".  This is a version of the old "sit in the corner" routine which
involves sitting (or in Anne's case standing) in the corner until the timer
rings.  The developmental psych people say that the optimal amount of time is
about equivalent to their age.  Therefore, 2-year olds get two minutes, 3-year
olds get 3 minutes, etc.  Misbehaviour while in the corner simply adds time to
the timer.  It seems pretty effective at home and Anne's Day Care uses it
there, too.  I've never seen a better behaved bunch of kids!

--

Sarah E. Dugan
"You have to kiss a lot of frogs

# AT&T Bell Labs IH 1D-408                The Forest (home)               #
# Naperville-Wheaton Rd.                  1353 Crab Apple Court  Apt. 101 #
# Naperville, Illinois  60566             Naperville, Illinois  60540     #
# (312) 979 - 5545                        (312) 355 - 0445                #

mbr@aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) (09/05/85)

In article <1249@teddy.UUCP> rdp@teddy.UUCP (Richard D. Pierce) writes:

>Discipline is as much (if not more) positive reinforcement as it is negative.

I think this is the crux of the matter.  To most people, discipline means
negative reinforcement.  It shouldn't!
--

	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!aoa!mbr

whitehur@tymix.UUCP (Pamela K. Whitehurst) (09/05/85)

In article <14946@mgwess.UUCP> prg@mgwess.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) writes:

>If my son ever gets a spanking in school, he'll get another one
>when he gets home!!
>
>Phil Gunsul

What! Unconditionally?

There are a lot of reasons children have received spankings at school.
One reason is because the child was testing the limits and in this case
the parents should reinforce the teachers authority, or find another
teacher if they disagree.  Spanking is not the only way to do this.

Other reasons include: desperately seeking attention and getting it the
only way possible, a strong personality conflict with the teacher,
being completely lost (or bored) for too many hours and too many days.

I'll agree that children should learn to handle small amounts of the
above problems.  They also need to learn what to do about them.  How
much of this would you put up with at your job?

If my daughter ever gets a spanking in school, someone better have a
damn good reason, because she hasn't needed one at home for years!!
--

           PKW
hplabs!oliveb!tymix!whitehur

laura@l5.uucp (Laura Creighton) (09/06/85)

	In article <14946@mgwess.UUCP> prg@mgwess.UUCP (Phil Gunsul) writes:

	>If my son ever gets a spanking in school, he'll get another one
	>when he gets home!!
	>
	>Phil Gunsul

Please don't. Your son may not have deserved it in the first place. Also,
this attitude presents another problem for teachers. At a school where my
mother worked, all teachers had to send glowing report cards home --
because comments like ``Mario could work a little harder in spelling''
resulting in Mario getting a beating that might put him in hospital.
Note that I am not saying that this is what you will do to your son --
but it is one of the things that teachers worry about.
--

Laura Creighton		(note new address!)
sun!l5!laura		(that is ell-five, not fifteen)

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/06/85)

> > > In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
> > >	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.
> > >
> > I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.
> > Parent :    Time for bed.
> > 4yr old:    Nope.
> >
> > Parent :    Please, time for bed now.
> > 4yr old:    Nope.
> >
> > Parent :    You must go to bed now.
> > 4yr old:    Nope.
> >
> > And so on, what would you do?  Remember, you said discipline based on fear is
> > worse than no disipline at all.  You're not allowed to threaten to take his
> > teddy bear away.  You're not allowed to tell him he can't have ice cream if
> > he doesn't listen.  Are not these tactics based on threatening the child with
> > fear, i.e. no ice cream, take away your buddy the teddy bear.  I really want to
> > know what you would do without some kind of threat.  By the way, you are not
> > allowed to bodily carry him to bed, that would be physically taking matters in
> > hand and over powering him with your size.  Besides, he would just climb out of
> > bed and come downstairs.  What WOULD you do?
>
> Why can't I bodily carry him to bed?  "Physically taking matters in hand and
> over powering" is a much different situation than physical abuse which is what
> this discussion is all about.  I don't think there's a parent around who would
> balk at physically restraining an unruly child.  I make liberal use of "THE
> TIMER".  This is a version of the old "sit in the corner" routine which
> involves sitting (or in Anne's case standing) in the corner until the timer
> rings.  The developmental psych people say that the optimal amount of time is
> about equivalent to their age.  Therefore, 2-year olds get two minutes, 3-year
> olds get 3 minutes, etc.  Misbehaviour while in the corner simply adds time to
> the timer.  It seems pretty effective at home and Anne's Day Care uses it
> there, too.  I've never seen a better behaved bunch of kids!

Carry him to bed, but what happens if he decides to get up and back into the
living room?  Tie him to bed!!!?

Two minutes, three minutes?  Sounds like your making soft or hard boiled eggs.
What if the kid doesn't stay in the corner?  When will she accumulate so much
time that it becomes unrealistic to expect her to carry out the sentence?
> --
>
> Sarah E. Dugan
> "You have to kiss a lot of frogs
> before you find a prince."

You have to mess with a lot of sleepers before you find the beauty!

cooper@steinmetz.UUCP (Clark Cooper) (09/06/85)

In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> from lkk@teddy.UUCP (L.K.Kolodney) writes:
> My mother teaches second grade in one of the nastier areas of the
> Bronx, in New York City.  She maintains order by letting the
> students know, in no uncertain terms, that she will be fair with
> them, but NOT TAKE ANY CRAP.  She has their respect, and
> never resorts to corporal punishment (which is illegal).

You left out the punch line - what exactly does she do if someone
tests the policy. In other words, "I WON'T TAKE ANY CRAP or else ...";
I'm asking, "or else what?".

With second graders, it may be that she can get away with just saying
something to that effect. In the experience of her pupils, it may be that
any adult that has talked like that beats (or spanks or does something else
unpleasant to) them when crossed. In this case, your mother may be
winning by protective coloration, (i.e. she looks like a poisonous
butterfly, so the kids treat her like a poisonous butterfly).

How much respect would she maintain though if someone broke her rules
and she did nothing?

I'm not saying that corporal punishment should be the "or else". I'm
asking you, what is your mother's "or else". I would bet that whatever
it is, it is immediately perceived by the kids as something unpleasant.
--
Clark Cooper |UUCP: seismo!rpics!steinmetz!cooper

long@oliveb.UUCP (Dave Long) (09/08/85)

In article <11316@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
> I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.
> Parent :    Time for bed.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> Parent :    Please, time for bed now.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> Parent :    You must go to bed now.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>                           What WOULD you do?

    I would just let him stay up until he wanted to go to sleep.  I have never
had a specific "bedtime".  My parents usually went to sleep at about 9:00 or
so, and they would tell me that it was time to go to sleep, but I was free to
stay up until I felt it was time to go to sleep.
    One question:  What are the reasons people have for setting specific
bedtimes for their children?  How about curfews? (I never had one either)
--
{hplabs,fortune,idi,ihnp4,tolerant,allegra,tymix}!oliveb!long

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (09/09/85)

In Sweden corporal punishment is illegal in the *home* as well
as the school, and the child abuse rates there are very low.

ayers@convexs.UUCP (09/09/85)

>How did you arrive at this conclusion?  School children have been
>disciplined with fear for generations.  It didn't do much for their
>creativity, but they did learn the basic skills.  With no discipline,
>students learn nothing at all.

I suggest you support your ideas with facts.  Try reading "Summerhill"
or "Neil, Neil, Orange Peel" for _25_years_of_documented_facts_ concerning
one man's attempt to understand violence vs learning in the school system...

					blues, II

			(I may not be wrong, but I'm not far from it!)

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/09/85)

> In article <11316@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
> > I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.
> > Parent :    Time for bed.
> > 4yr old:    Nope.
> >
> > Parent :    Please, time for bed now.
> > 4yr old:    Nope.
> >
> > Parent :    You must go to bed now.
> > 4yr old:    Nope.
> >                           What WOULD you do?
>
>     I would just let him stay up until he wanted to go to sleep.  I have never
> had a specific "bedtime".  My parents usually went to sleep at about 9:00 or
> so, and they would tell me that it was time to go to sleep, but I was free to
> stay up until I felt it was time to go to sleep.
>     One question:  What are the reasons people have for setting specific
> bedtimes for their children?  How about curfews? (I never had one either)
> --
> {hplabs,fortune,idi,ihnp4,tolerant,allegra,tymix}!oliveb!long

People who don't discipline their kids seem also to not want to be bothered
with them in general.  You really have to love your kids to discipline them.
You cannot let a 6 year old make all his own decisions for himself knowing
that the 6 year old does not have any idea what the best decision is for him-
self.  Put a gallon of ice cream and a plate of food in front of him and tell
him to eat what he wants and watch what he does, do this everyday for a year
and chances are he will be hopelessly brain damaged through malnutrition.
If he cannot get up for school due to lack of sleep will you then let him stay
home?  You've got to be kidding.
ps. you better catch up on your sleep.

jacobson@fluke.UUCP (David Jacobson) (09/09/85)

> I make liberal use of "THE
> TIMER".  This is a version of the old "sit in the corner" routine which
> involves sitting (or in Anne's case standing) in the corner until the timer
> rings.  The developmental psych people say that the optimal amount of time is
> about equivalent to their age.  Therefore, 2-year olds get two minutes, 3-year
> olds get 3 minutes, etc.  Misbehaviour while in the corner simply adds time to
> the timer.  It seems pretty effective at home and Anne's Day Care uses it
> there, too.  I've never seen a better behaved bunch of kids!
>
> Sarah E. Dugan

I've never liked the timer approach, even though our pediatrician really
promotes it.  It is strictly punishement, having nothing to do with the
problem.  The kids get the message that adults are able to make me
miserable because they are bigger.  I prefer solutions that are directly
related to problems as possible.  If the kid disobeys (I hate that word)
and the result is some kind of mess, they may be required to help clean it
up (even if the adult could in fact do it faster themselves).  If they
misuse something, then it is taken away.  I'm not sure what to do about
things like hitting neighborhood kids.  Our 2.75 year old has a little
problem with this.  We keep talking to her about it.  ("People are not for
hitting.")  We always try to treat her will all the respect we would treat
an adult, as far as possible, given her age and experience.

  -- David Jacobson
     ihnp4!uw-beaver!fluke!jacobson

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (09/10/85)

>     One question:  What are the reasons people have for setting specific
> bedtimes for their children?  How about curfews? (I never had one either)
> --
> {hplabs,fortune,idi,ihnp4,tolerant,allegra,tymix}!oliveb!long

My wife and I love our children (1 &4) dearly and cherish the time
spent with them throughout the day.

However, after 8:30 or so, My wife and I have our time together.
We have interests outside the home and aren't always home at night
at the same time. When we are, we enjoy the brief hiatus of peace
and quiet to be alone and pay attention to each other for a change.

Once our kids reach teenagehood, I think curfews, bedtimes, etc...
will become difficult, if not impossible, to impose. When the
time comes, we will relent. After all, sneaking out at night in
clear violation of a curfew provided me with the biggest thrills
of my youth.

-todd jones

king@kestrel.ARPA (09/10/85)

In article <413@scirtp.UUCP>, todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) writes:
> >     One question:  What are the reasons people have for setting specific
> > bedtimes for their children?  How about curfews? (I never had one either)

> My wife and I love our children (1 &4) dearly and cherish the time
> spent with them throughout the day.
>
> However, after 8:30 or so, My wife and I have our time together.

I think that that reason for sending kids together is a loser, first
because they can sense that they're being gotten rid of, and second
because you can't do it with a slightly older kid.

A better solution, in our household, is to get some adult time
together by getting up earlier.

lkk@teddy.UUCP (09/11/85)

In article <261@steinmetz.UUCP> cooper@steinmetz.UUCP (Clark Cooper) writes:
>In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> from lkk@teddy.UUCP (L.K.Kolodney) writes:
>> My mother teaches second grade in one of the nastier areas of the
>> Bronx, in New York City.  She maintains order by letting the
>> students know, in no uncertain terms, that she will be fair with
>> them, but NOT TAKE ANY CRAP.  She has their respect, and
>> never resorts to corporal punishment (which is illegal).
>
>You left out the punch line - what exactly does she do if someone
>tests the policy. In other words, "I WON'T TAKE ANY CRAP or else ...";
>I'm asking, "or else what?".

I don't know the exact methods she uses "or else", but they are not
violent.  THings like making the student stay after class, or what have
you, sound about right.  More importantly, however, is that students who behave
well are rewarded (ideally with the natural rewards of such behavior, thus
teaching why such behavior is good.)

The point I was trying to make, though, was that she rarely has to resort
to even these methods.  Her students actually repect her.  This is not based
on fear (although initially it might be).  It is based on the same sort of
feeling that one might have for a great hero.  You see someone of true quality,
and you come to respect them.  I think this is frequently a subconcious sort
of thing.  The kids just get an intuitve feeling that "here is someone
who is 'serious'".

I guess that there are two separate issues here.  How to discipline in the
abstract, and how to implement implement discipline.

Corporal punishment is a practical implementation of the need to use
some coercive force.  But it is an extreme method.  Extreme methods are only
needed when the situation gets extremely out of control.

My claim is that by using certain paradigm for discipline, which emphasizes
positive feedback, and understanding, such extremes need never be reached.

To summarize:  Corporal punishment is bad because (1) it can
		be physically dangerous, and (2) it causes uneccesary
		trauma for the child.

		Negative, reactive discipline is bad, because it serves
		to create an ethical system based on avoidance of punishment,
		rather than of reference to values.

		When a positive reinforcing discipline is used, corporal
		punishment does not have to be resorted to.

--

helmsoid@scirtp.UUCP (the helmsoid) (09/11/85)

> In Sweden corporal punishment is illegal in the *home* as well
> as the school, and the child abuse rates there are very low.

	Cain't no kid get a real edgecation unless the daylights
is whipped outta him evry week !  My parents beat me evry night, and I'm
a better man fer it !

	Them Swedes got a big problem wif their edgecational system:
the kids who ain't whipped don't grow up t' be red-blooded 'mericans !
(but at least they ain't darkies !)

--
	-Jeshee

	These are the views held by all right-thinking 'mericans.
	If these views ain't held by an individual or organization,
	they must be Godless commernist agitators and will be dealt
	with appropriately. Amen.

	{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!helmsoid

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (09/12/85)

In article <413@scirtp.UUCP> todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) writes:
>Once our kids reach teenagehood, I think curfews, bedtimes, etc...
>will become difficult, if not impossible, to impose. When the
>time comes, we will relent. After all, sneaking out at night in
>clear violation of a curfew provided me with the biggest thrills
>of my youth.

What!?  You'd relent?  And deprive *them* of the thrill *you* had? :-)

--
David Canzi

ACCUSE, v. t. To affirm another's guilt or unworth; most commonly as a
justification of ourselves for having wronged him.  (Ambrose Bierce)

debbiem@rruxe.UUCP (D. McBurnett) (09/12/85)

>I have never had a specific "bedtime".  My parents usually went to sleep
>at about 9:00 or so, and they would tell me that it was time to go to
>sleep, but I was free to stay up until I felt it was time to go to sleep.
>    One question:  What are the reasons people have for setting specific
>bedtimes for their children?  How about curfews? (I never had one either)

I can answer this one.  If we let my four-year-old son stay up until
he wanted to go to sleep, we would wake up in the morning to total
wreckage in the living room.  He would also be very likely to come
wake us up at 11:00 to say that he wanted something to eat and
couldn't reach it, or that he wanted to sing us a song, or he wanted
us to tell him a story before he went to sleep....ad nauseum.  I
know, because this is what he does at 6:00 in the morning, even
though we have repeatedly told him NOT to come wake us up at such an
ungodly hour for such reasons (and  yes, he does know how to tell
time, so he knows what he's doing when he's doing it).

I had a curfew until I was in highschool, for safety's sake.  Our
rule was, head for home when the street lights came on.  When I got
to be in high school, my folks figured I was bright enough to watch
out for myself and lifted the curfew.  Basically the story was the
same with bedtime (except obiously bedtime was later than curfew).
I always thought this arrangement was pretty sensible.  Still do.
I can't see why anybody would be willing to let their kids run the
show and arrange their lives completely around the children's
decisions on bedtimes (which is the way it would end up in our
house), and I can't see how a parent could be indifferent to their
children's safety on the issue of a curfew.

Debbie McBurnett
rruxe!debbiem

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (09/12/85)

In article <378@scirtp.UUCP>, ned@scirtp.UUCP (Ned Robie) writes:
> Anyone that spanks or paddles my kid in school or anywhere without
> my permission is going to incur my wrath, I don't care what the reason.
>
> One of my most difficult responsibilities as a parent is knowing when to
> inflict physical punishment upon my children.  It is certainly a
> responsibility that I would never entrust to strangers or even our closest
> friends.
>
> -- Ned Robie

I agree with you completely.  Perhaps it may be effective to spank a
very young infant for doing something which might be physically dangerous,
like trying to chew on wires or touch a hot vent from a heater.
But when the children are older - I don't think spanking is the
most effective approach, and it is unnecessarily and gratuitously
violent.  Some of my friends have been quite effective in raising their
children using explanations:  if you behave in such and such manner,
then nobody will want to associate with you, nobody will listen to
you or take you seriously, etc.  Unless there is a serious problem,
one has to assume that children *want* to learn the best way to
relate to the people around them, and they are certainly not equipped to
know how to handle situations by themselves.  If there is a serious
problem, then professional help, and not spanking, is in order.

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (09/12/85)

In article <11316@rochester.UUCP>, ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
> > In article <1214@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP (Larry K. Kolodney) writes:
> >	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.
> >
> I must pose to you a situation involving a parent child confrontation.
> Parent :    Time for bed.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> Parent :    Please, time for bed now.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> Parent :    You must go to bed now.
> 4yr old:    Nope.
>
> And so on, what would you do?  Remember, you said discipline based on fear is

Why make the kid go to bed if he's not tired.  When he's tired he'll fall
asleep anyway.  Plenty of parents are frustrated little dictators and the
only way they can exercise power is to impose all kinds of arbitrary
rules on their kids.  May parents used to make me go to bed early,
I just turned on the lights after they fell asleep, and stayed up
most of the night reading.  It never hurt me that I didn't sleep
10 hours a night - good training for engineering school, actually.

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (09/12/85)

> > [Sarah E. Dugan discussing THE TIMER method of discipline.]
>

> I've never liked the timer approach, even though our pediatrician really
> promotes it.  It is strictly punishement, having nothing to do with the
> problem.  The kids get the message that adults are able to make me
> miserable because they are bigger.  I prefer solutions that are directly
> related to problems as possible.  If the kid disobeys (I hate that word)
> and the result is some kind of mess, they may be required to help clean it
> up (even if the adult could in fact do it faster themselves).  If they
> misuse something, then it is taken away.  I'm not sure what to do about
> things like hitting neighborhood kids.  Our 2.75 year old has a little
> problem with this.  We keep talking to her about it.  ("People are not for
> hitting.")  We always try to treat her will all the respect we would treat
> an adult, as far as possible, given her age and experience.
>
>   -- David Jacobson
>      ihnp4!uw-beaver!fluke!jacobson

I guess I didn't go into enough detail about the use of the timer.  The timer
isn't just used in a vaccuum (I'm never sure how to spell that word!)  I
usually use it for behaviour which falls under ther general category of
"disturbing the peace" or stuburn refusal to do what I've asked her to do.  I
try to stay calm when I send her to "the corner."  I tell her directly what
behaviour of hers has made me angry/disappointed.  I tell her how I feel when
she does those things.  I tell her that this is the consequence of her
actions.  After the timer is done, and before she can go back to playing, I
ask her if she knows why she was in the timer. If she seems vague on that
point, I help clear it up.  I then hug her and tell her I may not always like
her actions, but that I love HER.  Then we're usually friends again.

I agree with what you said about using solutions that are directly related to
problems.  I make liberal use of that approach too. If Anne gets in a
destructive mode and starts to tear her books, they are taken away for a day.
If she has been told to clean up her room and doesn't do it, I get to have
whatever is on the floor when I go to clean up.  She then gets it back the
next day by doing something she has been asked to do without any arguments or
stalling.  The item I took away then doubles as a reward for appropriate
behaviour.

I hope that clears things up a little.

--

Sarah E. Dugan
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there

                                       -Robert Frost
                                        The Death of the Hired Man

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/12/85)

>I prefer solutions that are directly
>related to problems as possible.
> . . . .
>I'm not sure what to do about
>things like hitting neighborhood kids.  Our 2.75 year old has a little
>problem with this.  We keep talking to her about it.  ("People are not for
>hitting.")
>
>  -- David Jacobson

There is one solution, directly related to the problem.  If it hasn't
happened yet, it will.  One of the kids she hits is going to hit her
back.  She'll then learn *why* people are not for hitting :-).

		charli

smuga@mtuxo.UUCP (j.smuga) (09/12/85)

> I've never liked the timer approach, even though our pediatrician really
> promotes it.  It is strictly punishement, having nothing to do with the
> problem.
>
>   -- David Jacobson
>      ihnp4!uw-beaver!fluke!jacobson

Not true.  The timer provides a cooling down period.  Very often when
children behave badly, it is due to the fact that they are tired or
over-excited.  A few minutes of quiet time sometimes solves the
problem.

Janet Smuga			I've had a great many troubles in my time,
ihnp4!mtuxo!smuga		and most of them never happened.

mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) (09/13/85)

I'm echoing Dave Long's question: what IS the point of bedtimes for
children, anyway?  I've never really seen a good reason for them, apart
from the convenience of the parents.  Actually that's not a bad reason  -
the folks deserve a little rest and privacy - but why not be forthright
about it instead of concocting explanations in terms of the child's
best interests?

Yes, sure, the kid who stays up late Monday night will be tired Tuesday;
but then will go right to sleep Tuesday early.  As for some abstract
kind of `learning good habits', lemme tellya: I had strict bedtimes almost
until I was out of high school, with the result that now I compulsively
stay up, and feel cheated if I fall asleep before 2:00 or 3:00.
--

            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago
               ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mmar

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (09/13/85)

> As for your other concerns. This vice principal was constantly enforcing the
> dress code (walked around with a tape measure to measure girls skirt lengths,
> tugged on boys shirts to make sure they were tucked in appropriately and not
> "just rolled up", etc.). Schools should concentrate on developing a students
> mental discipline and forget about petty garbage like hair length or dress
> code.

My wife & I were talking about this recently. I, of course, went to a school
with an official uniform (this was in Australia). One of her schools had this
as their dress code: "Shoes must be worn". That included sandals & thongs.

Anyone know about dress codes in schools in the San Francisco Bay area? That's
where we'll probably be living when we have kids in school.

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/13/85)

>I'm echoing Dave Long's question: what IS the point of bedtimes for
>children, anyway?
>
>Yes, sure, the kid who stays up late Monday night will be tired Tuesday;
>but then will go right to sleep Tuesday early.
>
>            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago

Maybe it depends on the age of the child.  If my 1.75 year-old stays up
late on Monday night, not only is he tired Tuesday, he is cranky, crabby,
and a real pain in the neck.  And he doesn't necessarily go to sleep
Tuesday early!  As a matter of fact, he may decide that, since he didn't
have to go to bed Monday night, he doesn't have to go to bed again, and
bedtime turns into some kind of "battle of wills".  Yes, I know,
eventually the need for sleep will win out.  But in the mean time, we've
all been miserable for a few days.

On the other hand, since I know he has to get up at 7 in the morning
(and he *does* have to get up then, since we have to take him to the
sitters and get me to work by 8), and I know how much sleep he usually
needs, I can matter-of-factly put him to bed at 8:30.  The next day,
he's cheerful and well-rested, and we get to enjoy the time we have
together.

		charli

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (09/13/85)

I forgot to check the newsgroup line on my response.  I don't imagine
anyone in net.legal or net.politics cares about bedtimes.  Sorry.

		charli

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (09/13/85)

> [Mitch Marks]
> I'm echoing Dave Long's question: what IS the point of bedtimes for
> children, anyway?  I've never really seen a good reason for them, apart
> from the convenience of the parents.  Actually that's not a bad reason  -
> the folks deserve a little rest and privacy - but why not be forthright
> about it instead of concocting explanations in terms of the child's
> best interests?
>
> Yes, sure, the kid who stays up late Monday night will be tired Tuesday;
> but then will go right to sleep Tuesday early.  As for some abstract
> kind of `learning good habits', lemme tellya: I had strict bedtimes almost
> until I was out of high school, with the result that now I compulsively
> stay up, and feel cheated if I fall asleep before 2:00 or 3:00.
> --
We always have set bedtimes for our children on those nights when they have
school the next day.  Without them, my older daughter tended to stay up too
late and be too tired to concentrate in school the next day.  It's no big
deal.  We don't demand lights out, merely that she get in bed.  She can read
or do someting else in bed if she is not yet tired enough to fall asleep.
On Fridays and Saturdays, and during school vacations, a formal bedtime
has not been necessary, so none has been set.  The bedtimes themselves were
discussed with the kids, and set to what they consider reasonable.  It's all
working fine.
 Much of what you say about bedtimes is true, but they still have a point
other than parental convenience.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (09/15/85)

> >I prefer solutions that are directly
> >related to problems as possible.
> > . . . .
> >I'm not sure what to do about
> >things like hitting neighborhood kids.  Our 2.75 year old has a little
> >problem with this.  We keep talking to her about it.  ("People are not for
> >hitting.")
> >
> >  -- David Jacobson
>
> There is one solution, directly related to the problem.  If it hasn't
> happened yet, it will.  One of the kids she hits is going to hit her
> back.  She'll then learn *why* people are not for hitting :-).
>
> 		charli

Corporal punishment (like spanking) has the following setback:
it seems to be effective.  In fact, is not more effective than
a regular admonition, or yelling or other more subtle negative
reinforcement.
What is more important is to react promptly to situations which
require correction.  Another important principle is not to expect
that you may correct some behavior "once for all".  The biggest
setback in using excessive penalties is lowering the level of
sensitivity of a child.  I got my share of spanking and I speak
with some experience.  Pain and humilation is relative.  A minor
bicycle accident is more painful than spanking.  However do you
want to enter a path of escalating punishments toward children?
Or you would prefer to get their attention even when you merely
express your displeasure (an ideal situation).
The original question concerned teachers.  As I remember, my
highschool class behaved best with an older teacher who would
merely raised her eyebrows at the first little noise made by
a student  (in a very rare situations, she would ask somebody
to leave the room).  Besides, we new that she was teaching well.
The art of mantaining authority with minimal the means is not
some magic, but it requires competience.

Piotr Berman

mazina@pur-ee.UUCP (Der Kaiser) (09/15/85)

In article <273@cylixd.UUCP> charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) writes:
>>I'm not sure what to do about
>>things like hitting neighborhood kids.  Our 2.75 year old has a little
>>problem with this.  We keep talking to her about it.  ("People are not for
>>hitting.")
>>
>>  -- David Jacobson
>
>There is one solution, directly related to the problem.  If it hasn't
>happened yet, it will.  One of the kids she hits is going to hit her
>back.  She'll then learn *why* people are not for hitting :-).
>
>		charli

	Hmmm... I always thought that the principle was that hitting
others was not a `good` thing to do. (define `good`? naahhh :-) Should
the principle read:

		"Hitting those with the power to hit you back
		 might not be a good thing???????????????????"

					Thomas Ruschak
					pur-ee!mazina

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
 Something wicked this way comes... "
		--- W. Shakespeare

smuga@mtuxo.UUCP (j.smuga) (09/16/85)

> I'm echoing Dave Long's question: what IS the point of bedtimes for
> children, anyway?  I've never really seen a good reason for them, apart
> from the convenience of the parents.  Actually that's not a bad reason  -
> the folks deserve a little rest and privacy - but why not be forthright
> about it instead of concocting explanations in terms of the child's
> best interests?
>

>             -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago

Do we need to "concoct explanations"?  Bedtime is bedtime, my kids
haven't asked me to justify it.  In fact, they like it.  They receive
some special attention at that time (a story, a snack, some kisses and
hugs) and they have a chance to review the events of the day with us
or plan for the next.  My eight-year-old likes to get out her clothes
at that time.  It gives the day a sense of completion.  I think my
kids would feel neglected if they were left to wander off to bed any
old time.

Janet Smuga			I've had a great many troubles in my time,
ihnp4!mtuxo!smuga		and most of them never happened.

[Not food]

Most of this discussion belongs only in net.kids, not net.legal or
net.politics.  Please edit the newsgroups line, people.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) (09/17/85)

[Help!  I'm being gobbled up by a Line Eater Monst...]

Ray Frank writes about the ACLU:

> Here in Rochester the ACLU prevented the police dept. from issuing good
> driving tickets to motorists deserving them.  It was only a good will drive
> by the police dept.,  but the ACLU said it was unconstitutional.

Maybe some people didn't *want* to be stopped on the road, to
have their licenses and the interiors of their cars inspected by
police, merely so the department could, as a ``good will drive,''
issue ``good driving tickets to motorists deserving [sic] them.''
It seems to me to be a quite elementary Constitutional protection
that persons be stopped and questioned by police only when they are
doing something *wrong*, not when they are doing everything *right*!

> When that 15 yr. old Russian boy wanted to stay in America and not leave the
> country with his parents several years ago, the ACLU said he must go back.

I don't agree that the boy should've been forced to go back to Russia.
(What's the whole story of the ACLU's involvement in this case, anyway?)
*However*, Frank, aren't *you* the person who's always claiming that
parents should have *complete control* over the minds and bodies of
their children, particularly in cases where (*shudder*) the child might
learn to think *differently* from his parents' beliefs?  Isn't enforcing
their ``parental rights,'' as you describe them, over the will and mind
of their child *precisely* what the boy's parents were attempting to do?

________________

Michael McNeil
3Com Corporation     ``All disclaimers including this one apply''
(415) 960-9367
..!ucbvax!hplabs!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

elric@proper.UUCP (elric) (09/19/85)

In article <> fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) writes:
>>	Discipline based on fear is worse than no discipline at all.
>
>How did you arrive at this conclusion?  School children have been
>disciplined with fear for generations.  It didn't do much for their
>creativity, but they did learn the basic skills.  With no discipline,
>students learn nothing at all.
>
>	Frank Silbermann

 The main problem with discipline by fear is that once a child is removed from
such an atomosphere and he has nothing to fear he will see no reason to follow
the rules.
 I spent 4 years in a catholic school which used corporal punishment (for
everything from not having having a perfectly made bed, to singing off key
in music class).
  Once I got into a high school which did not use corporal punishment I just
goofed off.
  In this country police can not legally beat a criminal unless the crook is
trying to beat them.
The crimes of kids in school rarely wrose then that of a real crimenal.
  Fear is a double edged sword, you can only push someone so far, before he
strikes back.
   Elric of Imrryr
Disclamer--
 The above veiws are of no concern to Lunatic Labs

elric@proper.UUCP (elric) (09/19/85)

>    One question:  What are the reasons people have for setting specific
>bedtimes for their children?  How about curfews? (I never had one either)
>--

 The reasons why parents set bedtimes might be these:
 1: To have some peace and to relax (I can agree with the reasoning, but
why not just tell the kid to play quietly in his/her room)
 2: Because their parent made them go to at 9pm therefore I must be good for
them. (What was good enuff for my forefathers is good enuff for me).
 3: He/she is having trouble getting for school/whatever. (Good reasoning)
There are proably a million others.
 Curfew (parently, not legal) is mostly just protectiveness or overprotectiveness.
I once had an 18 year old girlfriend who's parent would not allow her out after
dark.
  Elric

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (09/24/85)

> [Help!  I'm being gobbled up by a Line Eater Monst...]
>
> Ray Frank writes about the ACLU:
>
> > Here in Rochester the ACLU prevented the police dept. from issuing good
> > driving tickets to motorists deserving them.  It was only a good will drive
> > by the police dept.,  but the ACLU said it was unconstitutional.
>
> Maybe some people didn't *want* to be stopped on the road, to
> have their licenses and the interiors of their cars inspected by
> police, merely so the department could, as a ``good will drive,''
> issue ``good driving tickets to motorists deserving [sic] them.''
> It seems to me to be a quite elementary Constitutional protection
> that persons be stopped and questioned by police only when they are
> doing something *wrong*, not when they are doing everything *right*!

The police were not going to look into cars or inspect drivers licenses.
But if there was contraband in clear view inside the car, I don't think
the police could do anything about it anyway due the laws governing unwaranted
stopping of vehicles by a police department.

> > When that 15 yr. old Russian boy wanted to stay in America and not leave the
> > country with his parents several years ago, the ACLU said he must go back.
>
> I don't agree that the boy should've been forced to go back to Russia.
> (What's the whole story of the ACLU's involvement in this case, anyway?)

I don't know anything more than that the ACLU said it was unconstitutional
for the immigration department to give permission to the boy to stay here
against his parent's wishes.

> *However*, Frank, aren't *you* the person who's always claiming that
> parents should have *complete control* over the minds and bodies of
> their children, particularly in cases where (*shudder*) the child might
> learn to think *differently* from his parents' beliefs?  Isn't enforcing
> their ``parental rights,'' as you describe them, over the will and mind
> of their child *precisely* what the boy's parents were attempting to do?

You are right, there is a conflict here.  If it weren't for the fact that the
parents were from Russia, I would agree that the parents should have authority
over the immigration department concerning their son's remaining behind in a
foreign country.  But because they are from a country where oppression by that
government causes undue hardships on it's citizens, I must admit that my
views on the authority of parents as final becomes somewhat colored.  Call
it a double standard or whatever you want, but unusual circumstances do
necesitate exceptions to rules.  I see it as a child not wanting to go back
to an abusing environment.  Be it abuse by a country or abuse by parents,
the child recognized his plight and wished to endure it no more, and was
granted the right to not to have to endure it any further.

No, I have never claimed that parents or anyone else should have 'complete
control' over the minds and bodies of their children.  I don't know how you
came to that conclusion.  Perhaps from reading my views concerning the role
of Planned Parenthood as an interferring organization?  But in any case, if
parents are deemed not worthy of the title, then appropriate measures must
be taken, just being parents does not right them make.