[net.legal] Speed limits in other countries

jcjwi@ihlpg.UUCP (Witschge) (01/01/70)

> The *Economist* wondered why the deadly accident rate in Holland is much
> higher than in Belgium, despite the similar characteristics of
> the two countries.  Holland has a lower speed limit than Belgium, too!
>
> 					Marco Valtorta

This is easily explained: Many more people in Holland use a bicycle
for transportation than in Belgium or anywhere else (P.R. of China excepted).
The deadly accident rate posted in the economist probably included
these.

			J. Witschge

mgv@duke.UUCP (Marco G. Valtorta) (09/10/85)

This posting refers to a posting by Da Silva, asking for speed limits
in foreign countries.

The speed limits (in km/h) in Italy are as follows:

Car Engine Size		City	Highway		Autostrada

<= 600cc		50	80		90
(601,900cc)		50	90		110
(901,1300cc)		50	100		130
>= 1301cc		50	110 (~70mph)    140 (87mph)

The *Economist* had a table recently showing the different deadly accident
rates for various countries.  The US has the lowest.  In Europe, Italy
has a lower rate than France and Germany, but higher than Great Britain.
France and Great Britain have lower speed limits than Italy,
Germany has no speed limit on "Autobahnen."  If I remember correctly,
only a small minority of deadly accidents happen on Autobahnen, anyway.

ewiles@netex.UUCP (Ed Wiles) (09/21/85)

In article <6265@duke.UUCP>, mgv@duke.UUCP (Marco G. Valtorta) writes:
>		[omitted]
> The *Economist* wondered why the deadly accident rate in Holland is much
> higher than in Belgium, despite the similar characteristics of
> the two countries.  Holland has a lower speed limit than Belgium, too!
>
> 					Marco Valtorta

Please note that Holland has narrow streets and lots of cannals (sp?).
If you drop it in the drink, you don't have much time to get out of
the car before you drown.  Also, if you were going at high speed, 50-60 mph,
hitting water is like hitting a concrete wall, you may not be concious enough
to get yourself out of the car.

					E. L. Wiles

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (09/30/85)

>The *Economist* wondered why the deadly accident rate in Holland is much
>higher than in Belgium, despite the similar characteristics of
>the two countries.  Holland has a lower speed limit than Belgium, too!
>
>                                       Marco Valtorta

	Do you have the countries reversed here? According to my
	almanac the reverse is true Belgium has 6.3 deaths per
	100 million vechicle-kilometers to 3.5 for the Netherlands.
--
     Joel Upchurch
     Perkin-Elmer Southern Development Center

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (10/01/85)

In article <1692@peora.UUCP> joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) writes:
>	Do you have the countries reversed here? According to my
>	almanac the reverse is true Belgium has 6.3 deaths per
>	100 million vechicle-kilometers to 3.5 for the Netherlands.

Having driven in both countries I can't help but believe that Belgium would
have the worse fatality rating. The roads in Holland are all generally well
maintained and well marked. The max. speed limit is 100 kph which few obey
if the Rijks Politie aren't in the area. The drivers in Holland must pass
a stiff licensing test and must have had a certain amount of hours training
with licensed instructor. Belgian secondary roads are not as good. There still
are a lot of cobblestones that makes driving a real chore.
Roads in Belgium are poorly marked and there is much more congestion in the
cities and on secondary roads.  Until recently
Belgian drivers did not need a driver's license. The drivers in Belgian are
generally slower, but less predicable, much like the drivers in Washington
state on this side of the pond. ;-}  The Dutch drivers seem to have cars
equipped with binary throttles, full on or full off. The biggest danger in
Holland comes from the fact that so many roads are built on dikes. They are
usually narrow with steep banks and lots of cold water at the bottom. If you
go off the road you had better be a good swimmer.
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

goddard@rochester.UUCP (Nigel Goddard) (10/05/85)

About speed limits and deaths in Holland and Belgium.  In Holland the
official speed limit is 100kph (65 m.p.h) but on the autoroutes the
Rijkspolitie won't stop you until you exceed 120kph.  In Belgium the
speed limit is 120kph and people seem to drive about the same speed
as in Holland (ie at ~120kph).  Holland has probably the most
concentrated network of autoroutes in the world and although Dutch
drivers will stay terrifyingly close on your tail, they seem to know
where the brake pedal is and are aware of what's going on.  Also they
rarely overtake you on the wrong side, unlike the Belgians.  The
Belgians are much more unpredictable, have less autoroutes, and
have many road junctions where the priority is to drivers coming
from the right - an invitation to disaster.  Also in England the
speed limit is 70 mph and people tend to drive at around 75 mph.
In Germany there is no speed limit and it's not uncommon to be
overtaken by a car doing 100-120 mph. No problem.

Personally I think the speed limits in the US are ridiculous.
I've been horrified at the fuel consumption figures here.  In
Europe 35-45 mpg is common.  It's not the speed so much as car design.

As far as safety goes, driver education and awareness are paramount.
Lane discipline, using your mirrors and indicators, general awareness -
uncommon features here!
--
Internet:	goddard@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra,  seismo, cmc12}!rochester!goddard