[net.legal] unlicensed practice of medicine

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (10/16/85)

> > If I wanted to entrust my broken arm to you, and you were willing
> > to accept the job of fixing it but didn't have a piece of paper,
> > so what? If I have faith in you why can't I let you do it? If you
> > screw it up its my fault for going to you and not a licensed doctor
> > but why don't I have the liberty to pick whomever I wish??

	It is not illegal to seek medical care from a non-licensed "healer".
It is only illegal to offer to GIVE medical care without benefit of a license.

	The question I have is 'Why would you even WANT to entrust your broken
arm to an unlicensed practitioner?'  Without even being a board certified
Orthopedist, I can think of at least a dozen complications of a broken arm
that could cripple one for life or even kill. A license is just a form of
consumer protection, nothing more.
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

rentsch@unc.UUCP (Tim Rentsch) (10/17/85)

In article <1950@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

>> > If I wanted to entrust my broken arm to you, and you were willing
>> > to accept the job of fixing it but didn't have a piece of paper,
>> > so what? If I have faith in you why can't I let you do it? If you
>> > screw it up its my fault for going to you and not a licensed doctor
>> > but why don't I have the liberty to pick whomever I wish??
>
>	It is not illegal to seek medical care from a non-licensed "healer".
>It is only illegal to offer to GIVE medical care without benefit of a license.
>
>	The question I have is 'Why would you even WANT to entrust your broken
>arm to an unlicensed practitioner?'  Without even being a board certified
>Orthopedist, I can think of at least a dozen complications of a broken arm
>that could cripple one for life or even kill. A license is just a form of
>consumer protection, nothing more.

Reminds me of a Q/A I heard (from a doctor, no less) the other day:

   Q: What's the best way to hide something from an orthopedist?
   A: Put it in a book.

You claim to know "at least a dozen complications...."  Some people
might think that makes YOU more qualified than a board certified
Orthopedist.   :-)

"The opinions expressed above may or may not represent some persons
views.  They certainly aren't mine."

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (10/18/85)

> > > If I wanted to entrust my broken arm to you, and you were willing
> > > to accept the job of fixing it but didn't have a piece of paper,
> > > so what? If I have faith in you why can't I let you do it? If you
> > > screw it up its my fault for going to you and not a licensed doctor
> > > but why don't I have the liberty to pick whomever I wish??
>
> 	It is not illegal to seek medical care from a non-licensed "healer".
> It is only illegal to offer to GIVE medical care without benefit of a license.
>
> 	The question I have is 'Why would you even WANT to entrust your broken
> arm to an unlicensed practitioner?'
> 				Craig Werner

Sorry Craig, you missed my point.

First---What about the Good Samaritan Law in regards to accidents. A person
        is offering to GIVE medical care. Is that person breaking the law?
        If so why do they do it and run the risk of lawsuits?

Second--It is not whether I WANT to, but WHY CAN'T I? I agree it is not a
        very smart thing to do but legally why not?

sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn..............................Bob Nebert-Burroughs Corp

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (10/21/85)

>> 	It is not illegal to seek medical care from a non-licensed "healer".
>>
>> 	The question I have is 'Why would you even WANT to entrust your broken
>> arm to an unlicensed practitioner?'
>> 				Craig Werner
>
> Sorry Craig, you missed my point.
	I take exception. Keep reading.

> First---What about the Good Samaritan Law in regards to accidents. A person
>         is offering to GIVE medical care. Is that person breaking the law?
>         If so why do they do it and run the risk of lawsuits?

The Good Samaritan Law was passed to prevent the increasingly common occurence
of normal people, say giving someone CPR, and then getting sued for breaking
a few ribs.  Based on that information, the logic fails.
	Besides, the good samaritan is offering to give First Aid, not
comprehensive medical care.  But the fact that they had to pass the good
samaritan laws proved that at least some lawyers found it profitable to argue
that yes, they were breaking the law. (I don't agree, and I also believe in
altruism as a motive.)

> Second--It is not whether I WANT to, but WHY CAN'T I? I agree it is not a
>         very smart thing to do but legally why not?
> sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn..............................Bob Nebert-Burroughs Corp

	Didn't you read what I said. It's not illegal at all.  I even kept the
line in above [ if you can go back a screenful]
	It may be legal, but it sure ain't smart -- especially for the example
chosen (broken bone).

[Final note: I tried to mail this, but it was returned, so for those who didn't
care - Sorry!]

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner