[net.legal] Typical Monday Morning?

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) (10/30/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR stolen property **

Yesterday, a Monday when everything is supposed to go wrong anyway, I
wandered in to work late in the afternoon (hoping it was closer to tuesday
when things would get better, fer shur). I'm a commuter and usually park
the car and ride a cheap but functional 3-speed bike the rest of the way,
which I just haul in the back of my van. The bike is a junker 3-speed that I
bought for $15 at a police auction, unclaimed stolen property.

This week I had left it locked outside the building, and as I approached it
yesterday an attached note said: "If you want your bike back give us a call.
UW Police Dept." And I notice that not only is my Master U lock on it, but
they have one on it as well. ($15 bike with $50 worth of locks on it).

Wondering whether I should just take my lock and forget the bike, I call the
cops and 5 minutes later two BIG cops are outside my office with all my
co-workers peeking around the office dividers.

COPS: "Are you Dave Rasmussen?"
Me:(dumbshit): "Yea"
COPS: "Where did you buy this bike?"
Me:(getting a bit worried): "From the City Police Dept."
COPS: (Now thinking I'm some sort of smart ass) "Do you have a receipt?"
Me:(thinking about police brutality cases): "I paid $15 cash for it".

Well, I guess cops have some sense. Why would a modestly employed student
steal a piece of junk bike and park it where everyone could see it. So
they escorted me around campus (so everyone could see what a dangerous
person I am) and took the bike as evidence.

I guess the City cops had some record of where I got it, and gave the bike
back to me, cause the owner didn't want the piece of junk.

The moral of this story is: Don't buy anything from the cops, and if you
do make damn sure you have a record of it, that is if it's a legit purchase.

--
AT&T: (414) 963-5133                       {The views above may or may}  `O_o'
ARPA: uwmcsd1!dave@wisc-rsch.ARPA          {not reflect the views of any} ( )

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (11/02/85)

In article <578@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR stolen property **
>
>Yesterday, a Monday when everything is supposed to go wrong anyway, I
>wandered in to work late in the afternoon (hoping it was closer to tuesday
>when things would get better, fer shur). I'm a commuter and usually park
>the car and ride a cheap but functional 3-speed bike the rest of the way,
>which I just haul in the back of my van. The bike is a junker 3-speed that I
>bought for $15 at a police auction, unclaimed stolen property.

What I want to know is this: If you drove the car and parked it, who
drove the van to haul your bike in??

>This week I had left it locked outside the building, and as I approached it
>yesterday an attached note said: "If you want your bike back give us a call.
>UW Police Dept." And I notice that not only is my Master U lock on it, but
>they have one on it as well. ($15 bike with $50 worth of locks on it).
>
>Wondering whether I should just take my lock and forget the bike, I call the
>cops and 5 minutes later two BIG cops are outside my office with all my
>co-workers peeking around the office dividers.
>
>COPS: "Are you Dave Rasmussen?"
>Me:(dumbshit): "Yea"
>COPS: "Where did you buy this bike?"
>Me:(getting a bit worried): "From the City Police Dept."
>COPS: (Now thinking I'm some sort of smart ass) "Do you have a receipt?"
>Me:(thinking about police brutality cases): "I paid $15 cash for it".
>
>Well, I guess cops have some sense. Why would a modestly employed student
>steal a piece of junk bike and park it where everyone could see it. So
>they escorted me around campus (so everyone could see what a dangerous
>person I am) and took the bike as evidence.
>
>I guess the City cops had some record of where I got it, and gave the bike
>back to me, cause the owner didn't want the piece of junk.
>
>The moral of this story is: Don't buy anything from the cops, and if you
>do make damn sure you have a record of it, that is if it's a legit purchase.
>
>--
>AT&T: (414) 963-5133                       {The views above may or may}  `O_o'
>ARPA: uwmcsd1!dave@wisc-rsch.ARPA          {not reflect the views of any} ( )
>UUCP: ..!{ihnp4,uwvax!uwmacc}!uwmcsd1!dave {other person or group at UWM}  U
>Usnail: Dave Rasmussen, UW-Milw CSD, Box413, Milwaukee WI 53201. :-)  Ack Phft!

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

Warning: Objects in Terminal Room are Closer than they Appear...