[net.legal] Repost Name Changing

aegroup@tekigm.UUCP (Dennis Ward) (11/20/85)

Subject: Name Changing
Date: 29 Aug 85 16:32:50 GMT

About 30 years ago I decided that I did not like my name.  I was in high
school at the time and just changed it.  (I merely reversed my two given
names.)  Through the years many people, including my mother, insisted that
I could not do this.  However, I received my driver's license under this
name and registered for the draft and to vote under this name.  Finally
I got married in 1966 and decided that if my wife could change her
name by reason of marriage, so could I.  So I did.  Now I figured this is
legal.  I even went to the SS office and filled out there form.  And guess
what, on it was a little check list of why the name was changed and one
of the choices was "by marriage" which I promptly checked.  They did not
even blink an eyebrow, now I even have my SS card under my "assumed" name.

I think that the main issue is why or what intent you have to change your
name.  If you do not have an intent to defraud anyone, then no one cares.
There after all is probably no legal basis for women changing their names
in this country, it just has been done for several hundred years and so is
customary.  Now days, women quite frequently do not change their names upon
marriage and no one really cares, except that some sexist organizations have
troubles but then who cares.  As long as all of your ID, credit cards, SS,
etc. show one common name there should not be any problems.  Your birth
certificate is the only thing that I am aware of that takes a specific
court order to change (name or sex).  Granted it is awkward to be introduced
as John Smith and Jane Doe, people wonder -- Are they married, or what? --
but if you don't care, don't worry.

I do have a possible solution, however.  It only works for couples being
married (which is what this is all about anyway) and that is rather than
worry about whose name to take or hyphenation or 'y' or 'de' or any of
the other cultures' methods of handling this situation:  why not both
adopt a totally new name?  Thus when John Smith marries Jane Doe, they
both become known as John and Jane Brown.  That way both could decide
mutually who they were going to be and create a new personality.  Their
children (if any) could become Browns until they grew up and became
someone else.  This would eventually get rid of all of the Smiths, Jones,
etc. and with some creativity new names could be created.

What is sacred about names anyway?  A distant relative of mine is doing our
family history.  In doing so he discovered that we "Dippert's" were related
to his "Dipert's" and that our common ancestors were "Deibert's", "Taubert's"
and various other spellings.  We all share common ancestors in Germany/Austria
and all forms of the name are still in use somewhere, yet we have now about
five or six ways of spelling our last name even though we are all related.
So if the Browns want to become the Brauns who become the Bruns, etc. so what?
Someday we may all become numbers anyway (heaven forbid)!

Sorry that this became rather rambling, but have been reading all of the
arguments pro and con and finally decided to put in my two cents worth.
			    --Bill--

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) (11/25/85)

In article <619@tekigm.UUCP> aegroup@tekigm.UUCP (Dennis Ward) writes:
>school at the time and just changed it.  (I merely reversed my two given
>names.)  Through the years many people, including my mother, insisted that
>I could not do this.

Is this true?  Is it that simple?  I have suffered all these years
for nothing ?!?!  I'm not kidding.

Marnix Alexander  van Ammers
                      ^-------Capitol 'A'
                     ^--------space (ASCII 32, 040, H20, ' ')
                  ^-----------small 'v', start of last name
       ^----------------------middle name
^-----------------------------Kind of like Mannix only with an 'r'

I want to change my name to 572-58-0598.  No first name, no
middle name, no last name, just the name 572580598.  No middle
initial, no national origin, no "how do you pronounce ...",
no "where on earth did you ...", no "what kinda parents ...",
no NOTHIN !!! ...

But I wouldn't mind keeping "Marnix" for my nickname.  I've kinda
grown into it.

Hi mom.  Are you out there?

Marnix
--
Remember, a statistic correlaton does not
necessitate a specific causaton.

jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) (11/26/85)

> I want to change my name to 572-58-0598.  No first name, no
> middle name, no last name, just the name 572580598.  No middle
> initial, ...

I believe that most places *won't* let you do that.  A lot
depends on the stuffiness of the local authorities.  I remember
reading about a court case involving something like this a few
years ago; some individual (in Arizona, I think) wanted to change
his legal name to a number (and I think it was his SSN).  The
request was bounced by the powers-that-were and the individual
took it to court, and lost (at the state level, and no higher
court deigned to overturn it, if I remember right).  He had a
terrible time convincing the court it wasn't a "frivolous"
thing.

I'm surprised that more people don't get their name changed.
It is not that difficult a process, and if you're willing to
take on the burden of demonstrating that the name you now bear
is connected to the one on your credit record/birth certificate/
school transcript/etc. then I can't see what difference it should
make.  An ex-roommate of mine advocated (though I think he stole
the idea from somewhere) that upon reaching adulthood, everyone
should be FORCED to assume a new legal name which could not be
the same as their birth-name; his opinion was that a lot of
nonsense of "oddball" names inflicted on offspring by parents,
and the absurd egotism of things like Earnest Blublood Bigott VII
would fall by the wayside quickly.  (Then again, he had a lot
of other weird ideas too ... :-)

Jeff Brown the Scumbag
		{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!jeff
		jeff@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
Astronomy Department, U. of Texas, Austin