[net.legal] Car Ads from NJ

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (12/02/85)

In article <330@weitek.UUCP> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
>... [flame about car ads from NJ appearing on USENET]
>
>Do you want these things off the net?  If the cars really exist, call up the
>NJ police and report them stolen.  That should make it interesting to sell.

What you are advocating here is a CRIMINAL ACT.  It's called "falsely reporting
an incident", and carries substantial criminal penalties (in addition to the
possibility of a civil suit.)

There is still a gray area concerning the liability of bulletin-board systems
for postings advocating illegal acts - cf. the Tcimipides (sp?) case.  I would
hate to see USENET held responsible if someone were foolish enough to follow
through with your suggestion!

AWR