[net.legal] finding toes

cs2551an@unmc.UUCP (10/10/85)

	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.  I have
several questions.

1.  Should I try to find a legitamate lawyer or one who is only out for money
    (like me)  I feel that I don't really have a legitamate claim but I still
    have a good chance of winning the case.

2.  How much should I sue for.  I'm only in it for the money, but if I go too
    high they probably won't give me anything.  I don't really want to put
    anyone out of a job but it seems that an insurance company wouldn't be
    too angry at anyone if I didn't sue for very much.(They might even settle
    out of court so I won't have to go through the hassle of court)

3.  I didn't really suffer any damages(except for the price of my meal but I
    was already refunded that) but can I sue for things like emotional damages
    and things like that?

4.  I doubt that anyone out there has found a toe in their food but if you've
    heard of any cases where anyone has could you please send me all you know
    about it.

5.  Should I report it to all the news media so I have a better chance of
    winning the case or will that allow the company to use some loophole?

                          thanx in advance (but you can't have a cut)
                          David North

vsh@pixel.UUCP (vsh) (10/16/85)

>	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
>suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.

WHAT fast food restaurant???!!
--
Steve Harris
Pixel Systems Inc.; 300 Wildwood St.; Woburn, MA.  01801

jrm@cbuxc.UUCP (John Miller) (10/17/85)

FLAME ON!!!!>><>!!!!!!

> 	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
> suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.

Then why are you going sue? Are you that dissatisfied with your lot in life
that you need to grub for money in this way?

> 1.  Should I try to find a legitamate lawyer or one who is only out for money
>     (like me)  I feel that I don't really have a legitamate claim but I still
>     have a good chance of winning the case.

You have answered that already. No legitamate lawyer would likely touch it!

> 2.  How much should I sue for.  I'm only in it for the money, but if I go too
>     high they probably won't give me anything.  I don't really want to put
>     anyone out of a job but it seems that an insurance company wouldn't be
>     too angry at anyone if I didn't sue for very much.(They might even settle
>     out of court so I won't have to go through the hassle of court)

Be sure to get enough so you don't have to eat in fast food resturants anymore.

> 3.  I didn't really suffer any damages(except for the price of my meal but I
>     was already refunded that) but can I sue for things like emotional
>     damages and things like that?

If I happen to hear of your case ever going to court, I will be happy to
contact the defense and show them a copy of your article.

> 4.  I doubt that anyone out there has found a toe in their food but if you've
>     heard of any cases where anyone has could you please send me all you know
>     about it.

My grandfather claims he found a finger in a beer bottle. He didn't sue, but it
gave him a good story to tell for the rest of his life.

> 5.  Should I report it to all the news media so I have a better chance of
>     winning the case or will that allow the company to use some loophole?

Yes of course, report it to the TV news, it would fit in well with all the
meaningless crap they sling at us each evening.

>                           thanx in advance (but you can't have a cut)
>                           David North

Thank you!

	John R Miller, AT&T Bell Labs, Columbus.

FLAME OFF.........

gail@calmasd.UUCP (Gail B. Hanrahan) (10/17/85)

In article <485@unmc.UUCP> cs2551an@unmc.UUCP () writes:
>	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.

If this is for real, you should at least call your County Health
Department (or other organization responsible for inspecting
restaurants) and report the restaurant.  :-)

--

Gail Bayley Hanrahan
Calma Company, San Diego

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (10/18/85)

Is this an example of another sue-happy situation?  Why
waste the courts time.  Tell the resturant that you will settle
for the cost of the meal plus one more.  You will still be
ahead plus the courts won't have to go through a frivolous
lawsuit.
T. C. Wheeler

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (10/18/85)

> 	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
> suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.  I have
> several questions.
>
> 1.  Should I try to find a legitamate lawyer...
>
> 2.  How much should I sue for.  I'm only in it for the money...
>
> 3.  I didn't really suffer any damages...
>
> 4.  ...if you've heard of [similar] cases...could you please send me all
>      you know...
>
> 5.  Should I report it to all the news media so I have a better chance of
>     winning the case or will that allow the company to use some loophole?
>
>                           thanx in advance (but you can't have a cut)
>                           David North

I believe that when I send a copy of your letter to the DA in Alburquerque,
your chances of getting anything will go from slim to none. The only
out-of-court settlement in your future is going to be a large loss of face.
I don't mind at all spending ten minutes to print this out and invest 22 cents
to see a greedy leper like yourself exposed.

Should I send also copies to all the news media? Please send addresses.

Your slimy little posting reminded me of settlement that a British Court
once made: "For the plaintiff: one penny. The lowest coin in the realm."

--
			       Ensign Benson
			       -Space Cadet-

    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-The Digital Circus, Sector R-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

entropy@fluke.UUCP (Terrence J. Mason) (10/18/85)

< mmmmm.....good >

>> 	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
>> suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can....
>
>I believe that when I send a copy of your letter to the DA in Alburquerque,
>your chances of getting anything will go from slim to none. The only...

No wonder, must'a been tofu.  Now if he found a tongue in his cheek...

terry mason

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (10/18/85)

David North:
>	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
>suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.
>
>1.  Should I try to find a legitamate lawyer or one who is only out for money
>    (like me)  I feel that I don't really have a legitamate claim but I still
>    have a good chance of winning the case.

By all means, get a legitimate lawyer.  Your lawyer should be able to
answer the rest of your questions; after all, that's what you pay him
to do.  My husband (a law student) assures me that there have been many
similar cases (part of a human hand in some chewing tobacco, for
instance), and that you're absolutely correct: if you don't foul up on
some technicality like the statute of limitations, you have a good
chance of winning.

And some free advice - don't say things like "I didn't really suffer any
damages, but I want to sue anyway" in public - and the net *is* public.
If the defense got ahold of that, they would almost certainly use it.

*flame on*
If I knew who you were suing, I'd be tempted to print off a copy of your
posting and mail it to them, and hope they could find a lawyer who would
be willing to institute a counter-suit for fraud or something.  Suing
someone when you admittedly suffered no damage, hoping to get them to
pay up instead of fighting you in court is disgusting - it's the moral
equivalent of extortion.  It's people like you who make everyone's
liability insurance go sky high - people not only have to be able to pay
up when they really are liable, but they also have to be able to fight
vultures like you.
*flame off*

		charli

In article <356@cbuxc.UUCP>, jrm@cbuxc.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
>FLAME ON!!!!>><>!!!!!!
>
>> 	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
>> suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.
>
>Then why are you going sue? Are you that dissatisfied with your lot in life
>that you need to grub for money in this way?
Etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum ad nauseum
>>                           David North
>Thank you!
>	John R Miller, AT&T Bell Labs, Columbus.
>FLAME OFF.........

Cmon cool yer burners.  Can't you see Mr. North is pulling our collective leg?
I mean how OBVIOUSLY silly can you get.  I bet Mr. North is having a good
laugh at you, you fell for it.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (10/19/85)

> >	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
> >suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.
>
> WHAT fast food restaurant???!!

Why do you want to know?  Do you want to stay away, or are you
trying to get in on the gravy ?-)

--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(UUCP)
	bill@astro.UTEXAS.EDU.				(Internet)

waynekn@tekig5.UUCP (Wayne Knapp) (10/20/85)

> 	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
> suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.
>
> 1.  Should I try to find a legitamate lawyer or one who is only out for money
>     (like me)  I feel that I don't really have a legitamate claim but I still
>     have a good chance of winning the case.
>
> 2.  How much should I sue for.  I'm only in it for the money, but if I go too
>     high they probably won't give me anything.  I don't really want to put
>     anyone out of a job but it seems that an insurance company wouldn't be
>     too angry at anyone if I didn't sue for very much.(They might even settle
>     out of court so I won't have to go through the hassle of court)

It is jerks like this that cause a lot of the problems we have in this
country.  I hope this guy ends up spending more than he ever gets.

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (10/21/85)

In article <485@unmc.UUCP> cs2551an@unmc.UUCP () writes:
>	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
>suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.  I have
>several questions.

Is this guy for real?!  If so, this belongs in net.bizarre!

>1.  Should I try to find a legitamate lawyer or one who is only out for money
>    (like me)  I feel that I don't really have a legitamate claim but I still
>    have a good chance of winning the case.

What you should do is post to the net which restaurant of which chain this
occurred at.  You owe it to the teeming masses!

>2.  How much should I sue for.  I'm only in it for the money, but if I go too
>    high they probably won't give me anything.  I don't really want to put
>    anyone out of a job...

If you take legal action, some heads are bound to roll.

>                       ... but it seems that an insurance company wouldn't be
>    too angry at anyone if I didn't sue for very much.(They might even settle
>    out of court so I won't have to go through the hassle of court)
>
>3.  I didn't really suffer any damages(except for the price of my meal but I
>    was already refunded that) but can I sue for things like emotional damages
>    and things like that?

If the defendant get's hold of a copy of this article, then forget it.  Some
thing are better left unsaid in the legal world (like "I didn't really suffer").
Boy, talk about putting your foot in your mouth.

>4.  I doubt that anyone out there has found a toe in their food but if you've
>    heard of any cases where anyone has could you please send me all you know
>    about it.

um, let's see. I know several people with finger or thumb incidents, my
brother found an ear (interesting case, he made out like a bandit), and an
old girlfriend found a penis in her sub sandwich... sorry, no toes.

>5.  Should I report it to all the news media so I have a better chance of
>    winning the case or will that allow the company to use some loophole?

don't report it, but threaten to.  This will "get your foot in the door".

>                          thanx in advance (but you can't have a cut)

of what? the toe? you still have it?  Well, I guess you'll need it for
evidence in court.  Thank you, but I'll have no part of it.

>                          David North

                                   -etan

david@tekig5.UUCP (David Hayes) (10/21/85)

You guys are much too nice,

	Who the hell is this f*cking jerk?  Why do you think we
have 50 billion lawyers in this country?  When in doubt, SUE,
is becoming the american way.  I think we should have waited til
he filed, then produced a copy of the letter, and urged a counter
suit from the restaurant.  Then he could see first hand the results
of a frivilous suit.  Like even if you win you're out thousands,
or it is cheaper to settle out or court, and admit guilt than to
stand up for your rights to prove innocence.

I think a few quick smacks in the mouth should take care of this idiot.

dave

ad hominem was all this guy was worth!

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (10/21/85)

>	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.

How many toes do you now have??!!

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/22/85)

In article <652@tellab1.UUCP> etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:
>In article <485@unmc.UUCP> cs2551an@unmc.UUCP () writes:
>>Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant. I didn't suffer
>>any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.  I have
>>several questions.
>
>Is this guy for real?!  If so, this belongs in net.bizarre!

Actually, there is a bar in Nome, Alaska that used to serve a drink called a
"Sour Toe" in which there was deposited a petrified human toe. They asked each
patron who dared the unthinkable (well, the barely considerable) to return the
toe when they were finished. Unfortunately, one patron ingested the toe, and so
a great Nome tradition was brought to an end...only to give rise to another.
The bar now serves a drink called "The Big Bitter Bear Ball."

				    Barth Richards
				    Tellabs, Inc.
				    Lisle, IL

				    "Memories are the refuse of my mind"
				    -The Dark

mikei@hammer.UUCP (Michael IsBell) (10/22/85)

Q: How many naive people are there in the world?

A: At least as many as there are readers of net.legal.

Which toe was it David? The big toe should be worth more than the
pinky don't you think? Did it have corns or callouses on it? Was
the nail painted? (If so what color?) Was the nail trimmed & clean?
If you win who should get to keep the toe? Is there a treasure trove
statute in your jurisdiction?

I'm interested in what users on the net have to say about this.

--

Michael IsBell
..!tektronix!tekecs!mikei

(This is an experiment for your Psyc class, right?)

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (10/24/85)

>4.  I doubt that anyone out there has found a toe in their food but if you've
>    heard of any cases where anyone has could you please send me all you know
>    about it.

I know of a case in Pittsburgh several years ago where a woman went to the
Colonel for a bucket of her favorite chicken and bit into a Kentucky fried
rat.

johansen@agrigene.UUCP (10/24/85)

> 	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
> suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.  I have
> several questions.
>
> 1.  Should I try to find a legitamate lawyer...
>
> 2.  How much should I sue for.  I'm only in it for the money...
>
> 3.  I didn't really suffer any damages...
>
> 4.  ...if you've heard of [similar] cases...could you please send me all
>      you know...
>
> 5.  Should I report it to all the news media so I have a better chance of
>     winning the case or will that allow the company to use some loophole?
>
>                           thanx in advance (but you can't have a cut)
>                           David North

Personally I think this is rather a bad joke intended to get all sorts
of attention and flames. Perhaps Mr North is trying to see how sue happy
people are in this country or to find a sue happy lawyer to harass.
I cannot imagine that a human toe could hide
out very well in any of the foods normally associated with fast food
(french fries, burgers etc) except maybe fried chicken. If it were in
chicken, he wouldn't have noticed and consumed all but the bones.
Besides that, it is hard to imagine how a toe could get into the food
supply. (Fingers maybe).
i.e. I think this is a hoax!!!!!

al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) (10/28/85)

<>
Posting that message is like asking your victims for advice on
how to rob them.  Why should we want to pay more for our burgers
to support a greedy person and his lawyer?
Alan Filipski, UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A
{seismo|ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!al  |   ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!mot!al

dave@circadia.UUCP (David Messer) (10/28/85)

> > 	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant. ...
>
> I believe that when I send a copy of your letter to the DA in Alburquerque,
> your chances of getting anything will go from slim to none. The only
> out-of-court settlement in your future is going to be a large loss of face.
> I don't mind at all spending ten minutes to print this out and invest 22 cents
> to see a greedy leper like yourself exposed.
>
> --
> 			       Ensign Benson
> 			       -Space Cadet-

Wait a sec!  Is there some sort of epidemic in Alburquerque (sic)?
With all the toes, parts of faces, and leprosy flying around, I
don't think I want to dine there!  ; )
--

David Messer   UUCP:  ...ihnp4!circadia!dave
               FIDO:  14/415 (SYSOP)

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (10/28/85)

> I know of a case in Pittsburgh several years ago where a woman went to the
> Colonel for a bucket of her favorite chicken and bit into a Kentucky fried
> rat.

Can we please keep this stuff in net.rumor where it belongs?  Or, if
you really do know such a person, there is an outstanding money offer
for her identity; you can probably collect a finders fee.

There is an entire book full of "urban legends" such as this, which
are always told as "Somebody I know had this happen to them" but which
in fact are totally fictitious.  The author of that book is genuinely
serious in trying to locate anyone who personally experienced any of
those legends.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

smk@axiom.UUCP (Steven M. Kramer) (10/28/85)

> I know of a case in Pittsburgh several years ago where a woman went to the
> Colonel for a bucket of her favorite chicken and bit into a Kentucky fried
> rat.
C'mon now!  Everyone has heard this story and it was supposed to have happened
at their KFC.  Doesn't that sound suspicious.  I in know way have any connection
with KFC, but to be fair to them, i never saw this story hit the news or never
heard the unlucky person's name.  I think we should all discount this story.
(I first heard of it about 20 years ago.)
--
	--steve kramer
	{allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!axiom!smk	(UUCP)

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/30/85)

>> <ridiculous story about finding a toe in food at a fast food restaurant.>
> <dozens of angry responses from people who thought the original poster
>  was totally serious.>

My estimate of the IQ of the average usenet reader gets lower every day.
Do you people by any chance all subscribe to the National Inquirer?

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"Comment, Spock?"
"Very bad poetry, sir."

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (10/31/85)

> > I know of a case in Pittsburgh several years ago where a woman went to the
> > Colonel for a bucket of her favorite chicken and bit into a Kentucky fried
> > rat.
> C'mon now!  Everyone has heard this story and it was supposed to have happened
> at their KFC.  Doesn't that sound suspicious.  I in know way have any connection
> with KFC, but to be fair to them, i never saw this story hit the news or never
> heard the unlucky person's name.  I think we should all discount this story.
> (I first heard of it about 20 years ago.)
> --

	We had a case here in Baltimore a few years ago where a couple bought
a loaf of rye bread at a local bakery (Siblers), sliced it up and found a
rat baked into it. I think one of the diners might have eaten a piece, as
well. They sued Silber's and won, and the effects of the suit put the bakery
company (they had many stores in the area) out of business. Unlike the KFC
story, this one is true and well-documented (pretty disgusting, too).

--
jcpatilla

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (10/31/85)

> > I know of a case in Pittsburgh several years ago where a woman went to the
> > Colonel for a bucket of her favorite chicken and bit into a Kentucky fried
> > rat.
> C'mon now!  Everyone has heard this story and it was supposed to have happened
> at their KFC.  Doesn't that sound suspicious.  I in know way have any connection
> with KFC, but to be fair to them, i never saw this story hit the news or never
> heard the unlucky person's name.  I think we should all discount this story.
> (I first heard of it about 20 years ago.)
> --
> 	--steve kramer
> 	{allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!axiom!smk	(UUCP)
> 	linus!axiom!smk@mitre-bedford					(MIL)

Have you heard the one about the woman who dried off her cat in her micro-wave
oven?

Hee hee hee :-)

polak@brl-sem.ARPA (Helen R. Polak ) (11/01/85)

In Baltimore, the news reported a rat found *baked into* a loaf of
bread.  The bakery closed its store, never to reopen.  These things do
happen.   Other newsgroups have reported  cockroaches in bottles of RC,
and unidentified bones in poptarts (personal experiences).

On another note, the sanitation laws here require that if a customer
takes a product such as bread out of the store, brings it back
dissatisfied, and demands something else, that product must be thrown
out.  I felt very badly when the bakery had to throw out a couple of plain
chocolate-iced cupcakes because I wanted devils food but said chocolate.
If I'd had my wits about me, I would have just kept them and bought the
others!

Is this the law U.S. wide?  What about in european countries? And
elsewhere (Sorry,  you don't like being referred to as elsewhere:-)
	(Dodging flames from Toronto, I'll still be)

		Helen herself <polak@BRL>
"...and I write your best quotes all over my outgoing U.S. mail."

> 	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
> suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can. I have
> several questions.

	Is this for real?  You could always claim ``toemaine'' poisoning...

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185		 {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}	           syr!buf!/               ===
===  TELEX   69-71461 ansbak: ELGECOMCLR {via WUI} ihnp4!/                 ===
===									   ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"		           ===

stubbs@ncr-sd.UUCP (Jan Stubbs) (11/14/85)

In article <232@agrigene.UUCP> johansen@agrigene.UUCP writes:

>> 	Recently I found a human toe at a local fast food restaurant.  I didn't
>> suffer any real damage but I would like to sue them for all that I can.
>> 3.  I didn't really suffer any damages...
General Rule in Torts: no damages, no recovery.

>> 4.  ...if you've heard of [similar] cases...could you please send me all
>>      you know...
This sounds suspiciously like a well known case wherin the plaintiff found
a toe in her can of peas. She complained that it nearly killed her because she
couldn't eat for some time. Hence she did receive some damage.

>> 5.  Should I report it to all the news media so I have a better chance of
>>     winning the case or will that allow the company to use some loophole?
It might help to settle your case to threaten this, but beware libel liability.

>Personally I think this is rather a bad joke intended to get all sorts
>of attention and flames. Perhaps Mr North is trying to see how sue happy
>people are in this country or to find a sue happy lawyer to harass.
>i.e. I think this is a hoax!!!!!

I agree!

Jan Stubbs

In article <146@axiom.UUCP> smk@axiom.UUCP (Steven M. Kramer) writes:
>> I know of a case in Pittsburgh several years ago where a woman went to the
>> Colonel for a bucket of her favorite chicken and bit into a Kentucky fried
>> rat.
>C'mon now!  Everyone has heard this story and it was supposed to have happened
>at their KFC.  Doesn't that sound suspicious.  I in know way have any connection
>with KFC, but to be fair to them, i never saw this story hit the news or never
>heard the unlucky person's name.  I think we should all discount this story.
>(I first heard of it about 20 years ago.)

Like it or not, it happened here in Chula Vista (near San Diego). It made all
the papers and the tv news shows about 8 years ago.

Jan Stubbs

jeff@gatech.CSNET (Jeff Lee) (11/27/85)

I have often wondered if other countries are so restrictive about their
food laws. I nearly cried every morning at a Kroger (where I worked to
help keep myself in school) because they would take all these pastries
and such that were ~24 hours old and throw them away. I was told that
they couldn't sell them at big discounts or give them away because if
someone got sick then they could sue Kroger for half what they were worth.

This stuff was fine. It didn't require refrigeration and would be things
that you would keep on the counter for 2 weeks or more and they were
throwing away several hundred dollars worth, every day! It was a firing
offense to do anything else with this stuff except drop it in the large
dumpster in the back of the building. What are the laws and courts like
in other countries? Can they do the same things there??
--
Jeff Lee
CSNet:	Jeff @ GATech		ARPA:	Jeff%GATech.CSNet @ CSNet-Relay.ARPA

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/30/85)

> I have often wondered if other countries are so restrictive about their
> food laws. I nearly cried every morning at a Kroger (where I worked to
> help keep myself in school) because they would take all these pastries
> and such that were ~24 hours old and throw them away. I was told that
> they couldn't sell them at big discounts or give them away because if
> someone got sick then they could sue Kroger for half what they were worth.

The US is not so restrictive.  Obviously you've never been to a day old
bakery outlet.

ashby@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/05/85)

I agree, this sounds more like a corporate policy.  It also
sounds like gross mismanagement.  If the bakery is throwing
away hundreds of dollars of food each day, clearly they
are baking too much.  A good manager would cut back on
production.  Too bad you didn't mention this; maybe you
would have been given the manager's job, and the manager
would have been given the boot.

jeff@gatech.CSNET (Jeff Lee) (12/06/85)

In article <577@brl-sem.ARPA> ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>> I have often wondered if other countries are so restrictive about their
>> food laws. I nearly cried every morning at a Kroger (where I worked to
>> help keep myself in school) because they would take all these pastries
>> and such that were ~24 hours old and throw them away. I was told that
>> they couldn't sell them at big discounts or give them away because if
>> someone got sick then they could sue Kroger for half what they were worth.
>>

>The US is not so restrictive.  Obviously you've never been to a day old
>bakery outlet.

Good point. I go to them (because they are much cheaper). That does not
explain, however, the reasons for the throwing out of so much food. Just as
another example, McDonald's (at least in this area) is not supposed to
sell any food that is over 10 minutes old (after preparation). Maybe the
question should be does this country have such an abundance that the
distributors of this stuff find it more convenient to toss it than do
something useful with? There just seems to be something inherently wrong
with this. Am I off base more than usual or is there something here....
--

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/10/85)

> Good point. I go to them (because they are much cheaper). That does not
> explain, however, the reasons for the throwing out of so much food. Just as
> another example, McDonald's (at least in this area) is not supposed to
> sell any food that is over 10 minutes old (after preparation). Maybe the
> question should be does this country have such an abundance that the
> distributors of this stuff find it more convenient to toss it than do
> something useful with? There just seems to be something inherently wrong
> with this. Am I off base more than usual or is there something here....
> --

McDonald's throws out their food after a specified "holding" time
for one very important reason:  quality control.  Of all the things
you can say about McDonald's, one positive one is that the food is very
consistant from location to location.  They have their own "by the book"
way of doing everything.  Of course, the real trick is to balance demand
versus production to keep service quick but waste low. Every once and a
while you catch an individual location cheating (keeping food longer
than specified) but that will get them in trouble during inspections
(which does happen, and boy are those inspectors picky).

Of course, the real problem is McDonald's can't really allow you to have
this food for nothing, they would be competing with themselves, they
want you to buy THE PRODUCT which is the standard McD hamburger.  So
they through them out (unless you come at closing and smile a lot at the
clerk).  The problem with these United States is the enormous waste of
food in general. It's amazing how much food "goes bad."  Well friends,
most of the food in the refrigerator didn't "go bad" it was allowed to
stay too long due to lack of adequate planning.  Even slopping the pigs
with the edible garbage has gone by the way side as modern agribusiness
has taken over pork production (specially controlled everything to get the
maximum input dollar to output poundage).

-Ron