[net.legal] Litigation

In article <28200417@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
>I must be missing something but why wouldn't the standard default
>libertarian solution for most things, namely litigation or the
>possibility of it - work for pollution ?

This is a complete change subject (so I changed the subject line).
This quote got me to wondering -- is there any connection between the
libertarian fondness for litigation, and the current mushrooming of
litigation in the United States?

The most obvious connection would be that libertarian thought has made
people more likely to sue.  I doubt this; the ideas don't seem to be
that widespread, and the people doing the suing don't seem to be the
libertarians.

Alternatively, the libertarian ideas might have been encouraged by the
increased respectability of taking someone to court.  The time scales
don't seem to me to be right for this; libertarianism emerged first.
(Although maybe not before the trend started.)

Perhaps it's just a coincidence.  I would be interested if anyone has
any ideas on the subject, however.

I have directed followups to net.politics.theory, since I think this
discussion mostly belongs there, not net.legal.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (12/31/85)

--
> This is a complete change subject (so I changed the subject line).
> This quote got me to wondering -- is there any connection between the
> libertarian fondness for litigation, and the current mushrooming of
> litigation in the United States?
>
> The most obvious connection would be that libertarian thought has made
> people more likely to sue.  I doubt this; the ideas don't seem to be
> that widespread, and the people doing the suing don't seem to be the
> libertarians...
>
> Frank Adams

Most of the stuff on the net by people who identify themselves as
libertarians has been strongly against "frivolous" lawsuits.  The
principal argument has been that a sue-happy society is eroding
our basic notions about personal responsibility, a value which is
crucial for libertarianism to have any hope of working.  If the
citizenry does not feel itself to be responsible for its actions
(individually, of course), whole cities would have to be converted
into courtrooms to hold the vast population of litigants.

As any anarchist will tell you, anarchy is not chaos.  The discipline
not imposed from outside must come from inside.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****