[net.legal] A legal puzzle

joe@dual.UUCP (Joe Weinstein) (01/08/86)

Suppose an individual leaves his bicycle outside a store and goes in.
A second individual arrives and does the same with his identical
bike. The two later return to find one missing ( stolen ).
Who loses his bike? Has the court ever ruled in such a case?

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (01/08/86)

In article <1187@dual.UUCP>, joe@dual.UUCP (Joe Weinstein) writes:
> Suppose an individual leaves his bicycle outside a store and goes in.
> A second individual arrives and does the same with his identical
> bike. The two later return to find one missing ( stolen ).
> Who loses his bike? Has the court ever ruled in such a case?

I have never seen a bicycle without a serial number.  The shop that
sold it will have a record.  So I would say your example is faulty.

--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(UUCP)
	bill@astro.UTEXAS.EDU.				(Internet)