[net.legal] Cleaning up DMV records

hub@fortune.UUCP (Hub Steenbakkers) (01/22/86)

Many of you out there are branded with traffic violations on your
DMV record, causing insurance rates to go up considerably.
Wouldn't it be nice to get a clean record.  Consider the following scam:
"Move" to another state or country which doesn't get your DMV record
from California (or wherever), get a new license (complete with clean
record), and shortly thereafter repeat the process "moving" back home
and getting new California license (and DMV record).  When you get a
new license you have to give up your old license (usually).

Does anyone see any major loopholes in this one?

goudreau@dg_rtp.UUCP (01/25/86)

In article <5840@fortune.UUCP> hub@fortune.UUCP (Hub Steenbakkers) writes:
>Many of you out there are branded with traffic violations on your
>DMV record, causing insurance rates to go up considerably.
>Wouldn't it be nice to get a clean record.  Consider the following scam:
>"Move" to another state or country which doesn't get your DMV record
>from California (or wherever), get a new license (complete with clean
>record), and shortly thereafter repeat the process "moving" back home
>and getting new California license (and DMV record).  When you get a
>new license you have to give up your old license (usually).
>
>Does anyone see any major loopholes in this one?

I don't know about every state, but when I moved from MA to NC this past year
and got a NC license, one of the questions the DMV asked was whether I had ever
held a license in NC before.  Of course, you could always lie about this, but
the red tape might eventually unwind.  Then they could punish you for
falsifying your application.  It wouldn't be too hard for them to run a routine
check on your name or (especially) your Social Security Number and thus nab
you.

Bob Goudreau

At least in Maryland, ploys are unnecessary.  After three years
without moving violations, you may have your driving record expunged.
Of course, you must have been a licensed driver during that time
(but you need not even have owned a car).  I am not positive about
the three years; I really remember `a fairly small odd number'.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu

ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/28/86)

>In article <5840@fortune.UUCP> hub@fortune.UUCP (Hub Steenbakkers) writes:
>Many of you out there are branded with traffic violations on your
>DMV record, causing insurance rates to go up considerably.
>Wouldn't it be nice to get a clean record.  Consider the following scam:
>"Move" to another state or country which doesn't get your DMV record
>from California (or wherever), get a new license (complete with clean
>record), and shortly thereafter repeat the process "moving" back home
>and getting new California license (and DMV record).  When you get a
>new license you have to give up your old license (usually).
>
>Does anyone see any major loopholes in this one?

Yeah, it won't work in Maryland.  When I moved back into the state
I went to take the written test again as if I had lived out of state
all my life and wanted a Maryland license.  They couldn't figure out
why I wanted a license because there computer dumped out my complete
driver's history again including a notation that Colorado had taken
my MD license in exchage for theirs.  Finally, they just ended up
giving me a "duplicate" license.

Obviously, moving away did no good.  By the way, moving won't help with
revokation and other heavy things like that as there is a national database
that prevents you from getting drivers licenses in multiple states or getting
a license in a state after yours has been revoked in another.

-Ron

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (01/29/86)

> Obviously, moving away did no good.  By the way, moving won't help with
> revokation and other heavy things like that as there is a national database
> that prevents you from getting drivers licenses in multiple states or getting
> a license in a state after yours has been revoked in another.

Not only that, but even if they make a mistake, that doesn't
necessarily do you any good.  For instance, I know one person
who was arrested for driving while his name was on the revoked
list.  He was convicted, even though his name was placed on
the list due to an error, he had never been notified that his
name was on the list, and he had never done anything that should
have caused his name to be placed there.