[net.legal] patents, copyrights, licenses

wrf@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (W. Randolph Franklin) (01/22/86)

1. There is hope that the restrictive licenses on SW might be
liberalized since some such attempted restrictions in the past have
died.  e.g. I have a GE car battery charger from about the 20s that
contains a vacuum tube rectifier.  The charger's nameplate says that
this tube is being sold to be used in this device, and that it is not
licensed to be used in a radio transmitter.  (Maybe ham operators would
rebuild chargers into radios and GE didn't like it ???) I haven't heard
of people lately being busted for recycling something's components.

2. On the other hand, a textbook publisher's rep I met was complaining
about the unfairness (to the author) of students being able to sell
their books to someone else to reuse the next year.  Can you see SW
style licenses on books next?

Wm. Randolph Franklin, UC Berkeley,
Arpanet: wrf@ernie.Berkeley.EDU
USPS: Computer Science Div., 543 Evans, University of California,
	  Berkeley CA, 94720, USA
415-642-9955

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (01/24/86)

In article <11493@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> wrf@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (W. Randolph Franklin) writes:

>2. On the other hand, a textbook publisher's rep I met was complaining
>about the unfairness (to the author) of students being able to sell
>their books to someone else to reuse the next year.  Can you see SW
>style licenses on books next?

Walk up to that publisher's rep for me, and with all your might shout
in his ear, "GIMME A BREAAAAAAK!"

I can just see public libraries getting sued because they buy one copy
and lend it out to hundreds of people.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/28/86)

> 1. There is hope that the restrictive licenses on SW might be
> liberalized since some such attempted restrictions in the past have
> died.  e.g. I have a GE car battery charger from about the 20s that
> contains a vacuum tube rectifier.  The charger's nameplate says that
> this tube is being sold to be used in this device, and that it is not
> licensed to be used in a radio transmitter.  (Maybe ham operators would
> rebuild chargers into radios and GE didn't like it ???) I haven't heard
> of people lately being busted for recycling something's components.

If it were today I would expect it was because of product liability.
I noticed that nearly everything I get from National Semiconducter requires
permission of NSC before it is used in any life supporting appuratus.

-Ron

hes@ncsu.UUCP (01/30/86)

I heard that there have been suits against lending libraries
which lent out copyrighted materials, and that the libraries
ended up winning.  This is one of the precedents for allowing
the sequential (not simultaneous) multiple use of copyrighted
software.
--henry schaffer