[net.legal] Drugs as a symptom, "Legal Highs"

rb@ccivax.UUCP (rex ballard) (03/06/86)

The following article is addressed to those who use drugs, those who
want everybody to stop using drugs, and those who have relationships
of any kind with people who use drugs.  It is LONG, but contains
important information.

In article <1062@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:

>A junkie isn't useless because he's a junkie.  He's a junkie because
>he's useless.  If you take away his heroin, he won't become a pillar of
>the community; he'll become a street criminal.

You're almost correct.  In fact, drug abuse is a symptom of what is
commonly called "An Addictive Personality".  The most common trait
being low self-esteem.  Other factors such as resentment (literally
refeeling anger over situations that may have happend years ago),
anxiety (an unidentifiable fear), self-pity, and "Self Will Run Riot"
also frequently accompany the addictive personality.

In effect, the junkie is a junkie because he sees himself as useless.
Often he builds himself up manifesting a "big ego" or a "bad attitude"
to cover his own long-term feelings.  Many junkies and pre-junkies
are actually over-achievers (compensating for low self esteem), and
will revert to being over-achievers if the disease (not just the consumption)
is properly treated.

Perhaps one of the biggest mistakes made in schools today is that most
anti-drug classes teach only the bad effects of drugs.  A better illustration
would be to compare it to eating 100 heshey bars.  At first, they are
pretty good, but after a while they aren't so fun, what then?  To an
addict, drugs are initially an escape, a way to forget about lifes
problems for a few hours and "have fun", a way to feel good about
yourself for a few hours.  To quote one ex-junkie, "gettin' high is
a kick, comin' down is the bitch".  An addict usually (not always)
has to reach a point where "coming down" makes "getting high" less
attractive.

This condition is treatable at no cost to tax payers and $1 per session
maximum to the addict.  In fact, both the constitution and the
traditions of the treatment organizations make it impossible for
taxpayers to support it.  Further more, these organisations cannot
even take charitable contributions except from addicts who have been
helped ($1 maximum donation).

Detoxification under professional supervision is reccomended, but not
always required.  This is acknowledged by the medical profession as
treating the symptom.  Treating the disease requires a profound personality
change.  The "Detox" has no affiliation with the organizations which treat
the disease.

Even if by some miricle, the entire supply of street drugs was removed
from circulation, the junkie would transfer addictions to alcohol,
over the counter drugs, perscription drugs, or even mouth wash.  There
are 300 ways to legally get "ripped out of your mind".  Many of these
are not as "fashionable" as "street drugs", but are available for those
who want it.

Among the examples actually heard from addicts:

Crushing antihistimes and smoking the powder (occaisionally sold as hash oil).

Drinking a pint of NyQuill (this heard from a 12 year old who couldn't
get alchoholic beverages, but could buy NyQuill over the counter).

Inhaling hair spray, glue, paint, or cleaning fluid fumes.

Melting asprin and shooting it.

Drinking mouthwash (some of which is 100 proof).

Certain poisons, taken in small amounts.

Cloroform (made with clorox and alchohol).

Sniffing ether.

Tea made from various common plants, or seeds.

And so on.  As mentioned before these were techniques used by addicts
prior to seeking treatment.  Some of these are also used by drug dealers
when the supply gets scarce.  Most of these addicts were "useless"
before they got help.

The point is, that those who are willing to risk job loss, jail, insanity,
and even death to get their drugs should be referred to treatment.

When someone says "I'm not that bad" say "yet".  According to a film
(Chalk Talk) shown at many treatment facilities, if you drink (use
drugs) and have problems with money, jobs, sex, or relationships, you
probably are, or will be, an alcoholic (addict).  Treatment involves
changing attitudes and thinking patterns (I won't go into how) in such
a way as to help you instinctively find the solutions to those
problems.  There is actually a written guarentee (pg 83-84 of The Big Book
of Alcoholics Anonymous) if the specified directions are followed.

If the above definition seems awfully general, remember that 1 out of
4 people is an addict or alcoholic, 1 out of ten seek treatment, and
each alcoholic/addict affects 4 other people (parents, spouses, children,
traits of alcoholics.  Treatment (Al-Anon or Narc-Anon) may be desired,
reguardless of their drinking/using pattern.

Remember, if you are an addict, or have a close relationship with one,
"the elevator is going down, but you can get off at any floor".

For more facts about addiction/alcoholism and the "Addictive Personality":
The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous - Chapters 3 through 7
The Big Book of Narcotics Anonymous
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions
As Bill Sees It.

To get them, look in the white pages under Alcholics Anonymous or
Narcotics Anonymous.  Or visit the local alcohol treatment center
nearest you.

These works are supported by the "research" and experience of over
10 million alcoholics and addicts world wide who have stopped using.

Please read at least the first two references before flaming.

Disclaimer: Since posting this anonymously would make inquiries
and replies go to never-never land, the name and company above
were not changed.  CCI has no position (that I know of) on this subject.
I do not speak as a representative of any of these organizations.
I am actively involved with some of them, and have been for over 8 years.