[net.legal] Recipe for Bittersweet Brownies

anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) (03/17/86)

In article <354@hropus.UUCP>, jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) writes:
> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MASSAGE ***
>
> At least one respondant to my Chocolate and Beer posting asked for this
> recipe.  I'm too lazy to convert to mod.recipes format and besides,
> coming from a copywrited source, I believe this recipe can not be
> included.  The source is Bon Appetite, probably 7-10 years ago.
 {then a recipe follows this part in his message}

I don't understand why he thought that copyrighted material was not
appropriate for mod.recipes but is appropriate for net.cooks.  Both
are being reproduced and distributed.  If you read the copyright blurb
at the front of cookbooks, it states that the material may not be
reproduced in any way.  In general, various rulings on copyrighted
material has said that it is okay to make a single copy for personal
use but multiple copies or distributing it (even if by electronic means)
is a no-no.  There are many times people on net.coooks have asked
for recipes I have but since the source is copyrighted I do not
feel that it is proper to distribute them.  A pointer to the recipe
in the cookbook is the appropriate response.

This may be a too simple understanding of the copyright laws but I believe
not.  I welcome a discussion of this point (and will cross-post this
to net.legal if I can get it to work).  Remember that if you published
a cookbook, you would feel that you were entitled to the royalties too.
--
 Anita Cochran  uucp:  {noao, ut-sally, ut-ngp}!utastro!anita
                arpa:  anita@astro.UTEXAS.EDU