[net.legal] Paying Sales Tax Twice..funny

dmf2@lcuxb.UUCP (Giget) (03/18/86)

  About 4 years ago I decided to transfer the registration from
  my mothers name (under her because of cheaper insurance rates)
  because I decided to get my oun auto policy.

  Mommie dearest signed title over to me for the sum of $1.00.
  Trenton wrote me a letter and decided the market value of my
  car and requested I submit the proper tax.  I therefore,
  wrote them an letter with a copy of the purchase contract
  with my name and xeroxed licenses of myself and mommie dearest;
  to prove it was just a transfer of title and their bought it.

  There is no way in hell I was going to repay sales tax on my
  own car.  What annoyed me was way right does the state have
  (if, let's say, some relative or otherwise decided to GIVE
  ME a CAR for the legal transfer sum of $1.00), to tell you
  the market value of the car and attempt to get you to pay
  appropriate sales tax on it.

Donna

mpr@mb2c.UUCP (Mark Reina) (03/19/86)

>   About 4 years ago I decided to transfer the registration from
>   my mothers name (under her because of cheaper insurance rates)
>   because I decided to get my oun auto policy.

In Michigan, you would benefit because of an allowance for a
multiple car discount. (ie. whether you or mommy owned the cars!)

>   There is no way in hell I was going to repay sales tax on my
>   own car.  What annoyed me was way right does the state have
>   (if, let's say, some relative or otherwise decided to GIVE
>   ME a CAR for the legal transfer sum of $1.00), to tell you
>   the market value of the car and attempt to get you to pay
>   appropriate sales tax on it.
> Donna

In Michigan, you don't have to pay sales tax on a transfer of title
within the family lines.  (I'm not sure how close you have to be.)

		   Mark Reina

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (03/19/86)

>  Mommie dearest signed title over to me for the sum of $1.00.
>  Trenton wrote me a letter and decided the market value of my
>  car and requested I submit the proper tax.  I therefore,
>  wrote them an letter with a copy of the purchase contract
>  with my name and xeroxed licenses of myself and mommie dearest;
>  to prove it was just a transfer of title and their bought it.

Funny ... last time I looked, New Jersey specifically said that
transferring a car to another member of the same family is exempt
from paying sales tax.

djm@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Debbie Matthews x2013 CB 3D280 LYN) (03/20/86)

In article <592@mb2c.UUCP> mpr@mb2c.UUCP (Mark Reina) writes:

>>   About 4 years ago I decided to transfer the registration from
>>   my mothers name (under her because of cheaper insurance rates)
>>   because I decided to get my oun auto policy.
>>
>In Michigan, you would benefit because of an allowance for a
>multiple car discount. (ie. whether you or mommy owned the cars!)
>>
>>   There is no way in hell I was going to repay sales tax on my
>>   own car.  What annoyed me was way right does the state have
>>   (if, let's say, some relative or otherwise decided to GIVE
>>   ME a CAR for the legal transfer sum of $1.00), to tell you
>>   the market value of the car and attempt to get you to pay
>>   appropriate sales tax on it.
>> Donna
>
>In Michigan, you don't have to pay sales tax on a transfer of title
>within the family lines.  (I'm not sure how close you have to be.)
>
>		   Mark Reina

Same in Ohio. Once, when I was "down and out" and needed a car, my
father gave me his extra car. We went down to the registrar, he
swore that he was my father and that indeed, I didn't pay him a
cent for the car. The sales tax was zip. Car was mine.

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/25/86)

In article <106@lcuxb.UUCP>, dmf2@lcuxb.UUCP (Giget) writes:

>   What annoyed me was way right does the state have
>   (if, let's say, some relative or otherwise decided to GIVE
>   ME a CAR for the legal transfer sum of $1.00), to tell you
>   the market value of the car and attempt to get you to pay
>   appropriate sales tax on it.

Mostly, I think that they care less about transfers from relatives
as they do about people who are actually selling the car and not
reporting the actual value of the sale to weasel out of the legitimate
sales tax.

-Ron