[net.legal] Very curious

wfz@whuxl.UUCP (ZUCKER) (03/22/86)

If an individual swears "to tell the truth, the whole truth and
nothing but..." and then proceeds to perjure him/herself, what
are the legal implications if that individual claimed they
weren't telling the truth when they swore to tell the truth?
Just curious.

steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) (03/23/86)

> If an individual swears "to tell the truth, the whole truth and
> nothing but..." and then proceeds to perjure him/herself, what
> are the legal implications if that individual claimed they
> weren't telling the truth when they swore to tell the truth?
> Just curious.

Jack Moore (still a New Jersey criminal attorney) says:

Practically, the jury would be instructed on the definition of perjury
and would disregard this defense.  In an ideal court, he might be found
not guilty of perjury, but subsequently cited for contempt.  The interesting
question then becomes:  Can his courtroom admission that he lied to the judge
when swearing to tell the truth be used against him absent warnings that he
might be incriminating himself?

Though the substance and the gravity of the perjured testimony would be
a factor in determining punishment, it is very likely that the contempt
citation would carry a more severe punishment.

	-Steve Miller ihnp4!bambi!steve

mpr@mb2c.UUCP (Mark Reina) (03/24/86)

> If an individual swears "to tell the truth, the whole truth and
> nothing but..." and then proceeds to perjure him/herself, what
> are the legal implications if that individual claimed they
> weren't telling the truth when they swore to tell the truth?
> Just curious.

This is the crime of Perjury.  It is punishable with a prison
term of five years or more.

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (03/26/86)

This has made me a bit curious too...
What would happen if when asked to swear to tell the truth
the witness says NO?  How can they FORCE you to swear to
something?  It can't (can it) be perjury to lie if you've
started out by saying you won't tell the turth.
-- Glenn Tenney
UUCP: {hplabs,glacier,lll-crg,ihnp4!ptsfa}!well!tenney
ARPA: well!tenney@LLL-CRG.ARPA        Delphi and MCI Mail: TENNEY
As Alphonso Bodoya would say... (tnx boulton)
Disclaimers? DISCLAIMERS!? I don' gotta show you no stinking DISCLAIMERS!

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/29/86)

In article <842@well.UUCP> tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) writes:
>This has made me a bit curious too...
>What would happen if when asked to swear to tell the truth
>the witness says NO?  How can they FORCE you to swear to
>something?

   There is this little thing called "contempt of court," which means
that they lock you up until you do testify.

   -- David desJardins