[net.legal] Making War

mahoney@bartok.DEC (03/18/86)

I am sending this to both news groups because I think it has significance
in both.  I ask that people continue to cross-post on this particular
subject, but because of the cross postings to stick to the topic and not
digress.  I don't want to hear Reagan bashing or any other crap like that.
If you do digress make appropriate changes to the heading thank you very much.

  I was talking with my father yesterday and he told me and interesting fact.
(my father is a history teacher and he didn't realize this until recently)
This fact is that the Constitutional Convention specifically took out the
words "make war" and changed them to "declare war" for powers of congress.
While giving the right to the President as Commander and Cheif the right to
move forces around as he saw fit.  Does this give the right to the president
to make war?
  Some constitutional lawyers say yes.  (They had a show on much like Meet the
Press) One of the people who says yes is Ed Muskie.  He said that is why
they did not take Johnson to court over Vietnam.  He and others like him
felt that they would lose.  That by specifically changing the words as they did
that they granted the power to make war to the president.

   My personal belief is that they wanted to take that right away from the
government altogether. I think this could be an interesting what could they
have meant.  So what do you people think?  Does this give to much power to the
President?  I say yes that the making of war is something to be avoided at all
costs.

   Brian Mahoney

hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) (03/19/86)

In article <1753@decwrl.DEC.COM>, mahoney@bartok.DEC writes:

> This fact is that the Constitutional Convention specifically took out the
> words "make war" and changed them to "declare war" for powers of congress.
> While giving the right to the President as Commander and Cheif the right to
> move forces around as he saw fit.  Does this give the right to the president
> to make war?

If the president could make war as s/he saw fit, then the power of the
congress to "declare" war would be an empty one. If you apply the general
constitutional principle that no branch of government should have absolute
power in any one area without being checked by the other two branches, it
becomes evident that the interpretation giving wide ranging powers to the
president to wage acts of war has been an abuse of the constitution. My
guess is that the war making powers given to the president were intended
for emergencies where the president had to act in the interim period
required for the congress to convene and deliberate. On the outside this
should be thought of as a period of days.

As  to the distinction between "making" and "declaring" war, It seems to
me that the constitution gave congress the option of declaring war without
necessarily having to engage in hostilities. Thus a war could be declared,
to be followed immediately by negotiations, mediation, etc. that could
avert "comsummation" of the war declaration.

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (03/19/86)

> This fact is that the Constitutional Convention specifically took out the
> words "make war" and changed them to "declare war" for powers of congress.
> While giving the right to the President as Commander and Chief the right to
> move forces around as he saw fit.  Does this give the right to the president
> to make war?
>   Some constitutional lawyers say yes.  (They had a show on much like Meet the
> Press) One of the people who says yes is Ed Muskie.  He said that is why
> they did not take Johnson to court over Vietnam.  He and others like him
> felt that they would lose.  That by specifically changing the words as they did
> that they granted the power to make war to the president.

Sometime before the U.S. sent troops to Viet Nam, Congress granted the
President the right to make "police actions".  The idea was that sometimes the
President would need to take action quickly without taking the time for
Congress to approve it.  However, the law didn't say how long the police
action could last without the approval of Congress.  The whole of the U.S.
involvement in Viet Nam was a police action (under this definition); that is,
Congress never officially declared war, but instead gave the President the
right to wage war without the approval of congress.  After the Viet Nam war,
Congress amended the law on police actions to limit the length of time they
could go on without congressional approval.

All of this is really just legal mumbo-jumbo compared to the politics of the
time.  If a majority of representatives and senators had openly opposed
sending U.S. troops to Viet Nam, it probably wouldn't have happened.  Either
that, or they would have been sent and then pulled back.  However, at the time
most members of Congress agreed with Johnson's and Nixon's policies in
Southeast Asia.

>    My personal belief is that they wanted to take that right away from the
> government altogether. I think this could be an interesting what could they
> have meant.  So what do you people think?  Does this give to much power to the
> President?  I say yes that the making of war is something to be avoided at all
> costs.
>
>    Brian Mahoney

It used to be considered unthinkable to go to war against an enemy without
declaring one's intentions.  It seems likely that the writers of the
Constitution didn't even consider who should have the right to decide to fight
an undeclared war.  I see no evidence that the writers of the Constitution
didn't want the government to have the right to wage war.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/19/86)

> I am sending this to both news groups because I think it has significance
> in both.  I ask that people continue to cross-post on this particular
> subject, but because of the cross postings to stick to the topic and not
> digress.  I don't want to hear Reagan bashing or any other crap like that.
> If you do digress make appropriate changes to the heading thank you very much.
>
>   I was talking with my father yesterday and he told me and interesting fact.
> (my father is a history teacher and he didn't realize this until recently)
> This fact is that the Constitutional Convention specifically took out the
> words "make war" and changed them to "declare war" for powers of congress.
> While giving the right to the President as Commander and Cheif the right to
> move forces around as he saw fit.  Does this give the right to the president
> to make war?
>   Some constitutional lawyers say yes.  (They had a show on much like Meet the
> Press) One of the people who says yes is Ed Muskie.  He said that is why
> they did not take Johnson to court over Vietnam.  He and others like him
> felt that they would lose.  That by specifically changing the words as they did
> that they granted the power to make war to the president.
>
>    My personal belief is that they wanted to take that right away from the
> government altogether. I think this could be an interesting what could they
> have meant.  So what do you people think?  Does this give to much power to the
> President?  I say yes that the making of war is something to be avoided at all
> costs.
>
>    Brian Mahoney

At the time of the Constitutional Convention, it could take several months
for Congress to convene in emergency session.  That's no longer the case.
I suspect the current law requiring Congressional approval for military
actions beyond the specified number of days would be applauded by the
Founding Fathers because it prevents the President from engaging in a long
war, but still provides the ability for the Commander-in-Chief to take
immediate action where delay could be a threat to national security.

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (03/20/86)

In article <106@cad.UUCP> hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) writes:
>If the president could make war as s/he saw fit, then the power of the
>congress to "declare" war would be an empty one.  [...] My
>guess is that the war making powers given to the president were intended
>for emergencies where the president had to act in the interim period
>required for the congress to convene and deliberate. On the outside this
>should be thought of as a period of days.

I doubt that the intended Presidential powers are even that much.  Rather,
the division of labor with regard to war (Congress declares it, the
President administers its execution) is plausibly viewed as a simple and
direct extension of the principle that Congress is to make policy and
the Adminstration is to execute it.

Congress has been all to wimpy about reclaiming its rightful authority in
matters of war and peace.  It should start in spirit by denying aid to the
eminently undeserving Contras.

--Paul Torek							torek@umich

elw@netexa.UUCP (E. L. Wiles) (03/20/86)

> This fact is that the Constitutional Convention specifically took out the
> words "make war" and changed them to "declare war" for powers of congress.
> While giving the right to the President as Commander and Cheif the right to
> move forces around as he saw fit.  Does this give the right to the president
> to make war?

	Personally, I've no idea whether it does or not.  However, there
	are occasions when the delay needed to "declare war" would be
	sufficient to give an 'enemy' an unavoidable win.  Yet, at the
	same time, giving the president the power to 'move forces at will'
	also gives him the power to 'cause' a war.  Regardless of the
	desires of the congress.

>    My personal belief is that they wanted to take that right away from the
> government altogether. I think this could be an interesting what could they
> have meant.  So what do you people think?  Does this give to much power to the
> President?  I say yes that the making of war is something to be avoided at all
> costs.
>
>    Brian Mahoney

	There are certain results of avoiding war at _ALL_ costs that I
	personally would find much too expensive.  My current feeling is
	that allowing the president to 'move forces at will', while requiring
	an act of congress to 'declare war' is a reasonable compromise
	between being able to act fast when needed, and yet limiting
	the power of the president such that he is not a 'monarch'.
	(i.e.  accountable only to himself and god.).

			E. L. Wiles @ NetExpress, Inc. Virginia

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (03/21/86)

> In article <1753@decwrl.DEC.COM>, mahoney@bartok.DEC writes:
> >
> > This fact is that the Constitutional Convention specifically took out the
> > words "make war" and changed them to "declare war" for powers of congress.
> > While giving the right to the President as Commander and Cheif the right to
> > move forces around as he saw fit.  Does this give the right to the president
> > to make war?
>
> If the president could make war as s/he saw fit, then the power of the
> congress to "declare" war would be an empty one. If you apply the general
> constitutional principle that no branch of government should have absolute
> power in any one area without being checked by the other two branches, it
> becomes evident that the interpretation giving wide ranging powers to the
> president to wage acts of war has been an abuse of the constitution. My
> guess is that the war making powers given to the president were intended
> for emergencies where the president had to act in the interim period
> required for the congress to convene and deliberate. On the outside this
> should be thought of as a period of days.
>
> As  to the distinction between "making" and "declaring" war, It seems to
> me that the constitution gave congress the option of declaring war without
> necessarily having to engage in hostilities. Thus a war could be declared,
> to be followed immediately by negotiations, mediation, etc. that could
> avert "comsummation" of the war declaration.

I think that the legislative branch of the goverment must approve
any expenditures of the executive brach, thus if the president would
'make' a war without the legislative consent, he would not be able
to spend any money for this purpose.

At the time when the constitution was written, the permanent US armed
forces were able to perform some small operations, like Indian wars,
but were insufficient for any major conflict.  Thus the power of the
president was adequately constrained.  I think that we cannot reasonable
expect that the constitution from this time will be intentionally
adequate at present.  If indeed the current check mechanism is by
chance sufficient (i.e. the president has much larger power than
expected, but also the current reality requires this larger power)
than the constitution should not be changed.  I understand that the
Congress may pass laws to forbid the president to undertake selected
classes of belligerent acts, and this check on the executive is in
my opinion sufficient.

(*This is not an opinion of an expert*)

Piotr Berman

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (03/24/86)

In article <440@netexa.UUCP> elw@netexa.UUCP (E. L. Wiles) writes:

>	Personally, I've no idea whether it does or not.  However, there
>	are occasions when the delay needed to "declare war" would be
>	sufficient to give an 'enemy' an unavoidable win.  Yet, at the
>	same time, giving the president the power to 'move forces at will'
>	also gives him the power to 'cause' a war.  Regardless of the
>	desires of the congress.

It seems to me that this is mixing up delay with trust of majority rule.
It is possible for a system to be set up that would allow Congress to
decide as fast as the President.

Simply provide all Congresspeople and Senators with a black box, an inhibit
switch, sum all of the Congress settings, if half are set on, and if half of
the Senates are set on, the President would be allowed to fire nukes or
whatever. All of the Congress could have real time connections to whatever
decision making info the President has.

This puts all decisions in parallel not in series so the time required
would be as fast as a single decision.

I haven't the slightest idea as to what this would actually do  to the war
making decision process. It would be an interesting experiment to try it
out.

Richard Foy, Redondo Beach, CA
The opinions I have expressed are the result of many years in the school of
hard knocks. Thus they are my own.

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (03/24/86)

Has it really been *that* long since Vietnam???

This was a big-time subject during 'Nam; Congress debated it at
length, and eventually passed a law limiting the President's
authority to wage war without Congressional consent.  If my memory
serves me (memory's the first thing to go when you get old), it
was called the War Powers Act.  Check it out.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {elrond,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

shad@teldata.UUCP (Warren N. Shadwick) (03/25/86)

The original Constitutional intent was not to have standing
armies -- despised and feared by the framers.  That is why
no military appropriations bill can have effect for more
than two years.  When needed for war, the Army of the United
States was formed (Article I, Section 8) by Congress calling
up the state militias (see wording of the 2nd Amendment) and
the necessary appropriations passed.

The President was to be Commander-in-Chief only when the
AUS had been formed; otherwise, he had no army.  This was
the original check and balance of power built into the
Constitution.

--

Warren N. Shadwick
... ihnp4!uw-beaver!tikal!shad

tos@psc70.UUCP (Dr.Schlesinger) (03/26/86)

    The postings on this topic seem oblivious of the existence of the
War Powers Act, which significantly affects the relationship between
the President and the Congress in this regard.
    As a practical matter the Constitutional provision regarding the
power of the Congress to "declare war" has been relatively meaningless
since the US signed the United Nations Charter. The latter outlaws any
use of force except self-defense or as part of either UN or regional
multi-national peacekeeping force. None of these exceptions are likely
to occur in circumstances which have in the past been deemed to
require a declaration of war -- or to even appropriately call for one.

Tom Schlesinger
Plymouth State College
Plymouth, N.H. 03264
decvax!dartvax!psc70!psc90!tos

mahoney@bartok.DEC (03/28/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 24-MAR-1986 20:56---------------------

>Has it really been *that* long since Vietnam???
>
>This was a big-time subject during 'Nam; Congress debated it at
>length, and eventually passed a law limiting the President's
>authority to wage war without Congressional consent.  If my memory
>serves me (memory's the first thing to go when you get old), it
>was called the War Powers Act.  Check it out.
>--
>Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {elrond,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

The whole point is that the law maybe unconstitutional.  That is why I
brought it up.

        Brian Mahoney

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/29/86)

In article <1107@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>...  If my memory serves me (memory's the first thing to go when you
>get old), it was called the War Powers Act.  Check it out.

   And if my memory serves me (I'm 22 already, so maybe it's gone),
this law is now essentially worthless for restricting the executive
because of the Supreme Court ruling on legislative vetoes.

   -- David desJardins

In article <178@psc70.UUCP> tos@psc70.UUCP (Dr.Schlesinger) writes:
>    As a practical matter the Constitutional provision regarding the
>power of the Congress to "declare war" has been relatively meaningless
>since the US signed the United Nations Charter. The latter outlaws any
>use of force except self-defense or as part of either UN or regional
>multi-national peacekeeping force. None of these exceptions are likely
>to occur in circumstances which have in the past been deemed to
>require a declaration of war -- or to even appropriately call for one.

   Pearl Harbor doesn't qualify as self-defense?
   Seriously, the point is that in recent history the US has not entered
into a declared war except in situations were it was able to claim that
it was acting in self-defense.  Whether this was accurate or not is
beside the point--if the American people accept that it qualifies as
self-defense then the UN Charter is not going to be interpreted as a
restriction on the US in that circumstance.

   -- David desJardins

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (03/31/86)

>/* Written  1:17 pm  Mar 24, 1986 by foy@aero.ARPA in ccvaxa:net.legal */
>It is possible for a system to be set up that would allow Congress to
>decide as fast as the President.
>
>Simply provide all Congresspeople and Senators with a black box, an inhibit
>switch, sum all of the Congress settings, if half are set on, and if half of
>the Senates are set on, the President would be allowed to fire nukes or
>whatever. All of the Congress could have real time connections to whatever
>decision making info the President has.

`Simply'! How are the signals supposed to be relayed back to whatever does
the summing? Through a nationwide, secure, real-time communications system?
Wireless? My jaw drops - you might say it jams open.

Real-time connections to decision making info - and how do you make all of
Congress study that info? Not just the last few minutes, but all the previous
few weeks of reports on submarine movement, activity at missile silos,
troop deployment, etc. How many Congressmen would be willing to make such
a decision, without trying to make a few phone calls (to other Congressmen?
to the President? to the Minority leader? to the newspapers?) first?

This discussion is moving into the realm of net.arms-d

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.
USEnet: ...!ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
ARPAnet: aglew@gswd-vms