[net.legal] Let's ban food

king@kestrel.ARPA (Dick King) (09/18/86)

   From: mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile)
   Newsgroups: net.politics,net.legal,net.singles
   Date: 20 Sep 86 04:06:16 GMT

   > AH! Now we have gotten to the *crux* of the matter:
   >                     sexual arousal
   >
   > Nothing here about rape, nothing here about violence, nothing here
   > about unwanted pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases, nope
   > just plain sexual arousal.
   > Let's ban *anything* which may lead people to that awful, disgusting
   > *sinful* pleasure of *SEXUAL AROUSAL*!!
   > Amidst all the noise about rape, violence, etc, you have finally stated
   > the true desire of the Meese Commission and the right-wing fascists
   > trying to take away our rights to private pleasures.  Their desire

   Or, rather, the question of whether turning sexual arousal into a commodity
   to be traded at the price the market will bear, and provided with all the
   moral integrity of Big Business, is causing harm, doing good, or being
   indifferent.

Other wired-in human needs, such as food and warmth, are commoditized.

   How much is it worth to you to have a camera in your bedroom so we can film
   what you do and publish it?  Ten thousand, hundred thousand?  How about a
   million?

   Oops, you're about to be undersold by a couple of starving kids in the ghetto
   who'll do it for a hundred-and-fifty.

There is a price at which I would pick crops, but I am continually
being undersold there, too.

	   ``Orgasms are up two in heavy trading on reports of a major new
	   marketing campaign ...''

   (Oh, let me be silly once in a while!  Trying to answer all of the silly ways
   you encapsulate *your* agendas is getting to me!)

   Sexual arousal is a means by which people may be manipulated.  A woman
   known as CYNTHIA got intelligence information that turned WWII out of
   very loyal officers of Vichy France:

		   I discovered how easy it was to make highly trained,
		   professionally close-mouted patriots give away secrets
		   in bed, and I swore to close my ears to everything of
		   value on our side.  The greatest joy is a man and woman
		   together.  Making love allows a discharge of all those
		   private innermost thoughts that have accumulated.  In this
		   sudden flood, everything is released.  Everything.  I just
		   never dared to learn our own secrets ...

						   CYNTHIA, later Elizabeth Amy
						   Thorpe (real name still secret)
						   quoted in
						   ``A Man Called INTREPID''.

   Hardly the stuff we want traded on the Mercantile Exchange ...

I'm sure secrets have been gotten out of people through the threat of
starvation v. the offer of food, too.  Sorry, no spy biography quotes...

   --

	   from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		   (scrape .. dig )	mtx5b!mat

-dick