[net.legal] Violence, Sex, Meese commission: Cobra

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (09/15/86)

Here's an interesting news item which the Meese Commission would
undoubtedly wish to ignore:

(From the Star-Ledger, 9/13/86 p.15 AP story)

"The Sylvester Stallone movie, 'Cobra', is too violent for Brazilian
 audiences.....
    Controversy arose when an audience in the northeastern city of
 Recife destroyed seats in a theater after viewing 'Cobra' and when
 a retired policeman in the northeastern city of Salvador fired a
 gun after seeing the picture, wounding three people.
    Movie producer Roberto Faria ...said the movie is sympathetic
 to police-linked "death squads" that were active in Brazil in the
 60's and 70's...."

I guess since "Cobra" does not arouse sexual desire, it is
perfectly acceptable.

"Make Death not Love" is the motto of Meese and his ilk!
               tim sevener  whuxn!orb

artm@phred.UUCP (Art Marriott) (09/20/86)

In article <1245@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>Here's an interesting news item which the Meese Commission would
>undoubtedly wish to ignore:
>
>"The Sylvester Stallone movie, 'Cobra', is too violent for Brazilian
> audiences.....
>    Controversy arose when an audience in the northeastern city of
> Recife destroyed seats in a theater after viewing 'Cobra' and when
> a retired policeman in the northeastern city of Salvador fired a
> gun after seeing the picture, wounding three people.

No, they'd simply use it as another example of exposure of **something**
causing unacceptable behavior and argue that one must decuce from this that
viewing of erotica would lead to **whatever**.

Please, no flames about generalizations.  I'm trying to avoid overuse of
net bandwidth.

Neither my associates nor my employers necessarily know of nor share my
opinions, but it sure would be nice....

                                              Art Marriott
                                              tikal!phred!artm