[net.legal] Re^5: Attorney General's Commission on Pornography

adam@mtund.UUCP (Adam V. Reed) (09/24/86)

Adam Reed:
> >2. Determine whose behavior is adversely affected by fantasy materials.
> >The existing evidence is consistent with the hypothesis that adverse
> >behavioral effects are confined to people suffering from a specific
> >cognitive deficit, ...  Behavioral studies might be conducted to evaluate
> >this hypothesis empirically. We could also learn how to diagnose this
> >(at this point hypothetical) deficit, and how to remediate it (for
> >example, by teaching the art of distinguishing between fantasy and
> >reality to those affected, if it turns out to be a teachable cognitive
> >skill).
Mark Terribile:
> As far as identifying people *before* they become offenders: how do you propose
> to do this?  Mandatory psychological testing seems even more invasive than
> mandatory drug testing, and a lot more dangerous from the constitutional
> standpoint than either drug testing or the restriction of specific material
> depicting specific acts that the *Miller* standard permits.

IF this hypothesis were objectively shown to be true, a person providing
fantasy materials to someone with this deficit would become liable,
under common law, for civil damages in the amount of the harm thus
caused. It is likely that providers would then require proof of the
ability to use the materials safely, just as car rental companies
will not rent a car to someone who has not demonstrated the ability to
use it without endangering others. I see no constitutional problems,
and no need for legislation if the testing were done by private firms.

> By the way, would you educate me on the difference, if any, between
> ``remediate'' and ``remedy''?

Gladly. To remediate is to attempt a remedy. There is of course no
guarantee that the attempt will succeed.

> Adam, one more question: I'm truly sorry to have to ask this, but our newsfiles
> do get purged periodicaly.  Did you say that Donnerstein felt that his work
> on was misinterpreted by the Commission?

This might have been mentioned by someone else - I don't remember
doing so - but yes, Donnerstein is on record saying that the
Commission misinterpreted the work. This was reported in one of the
newsmagazines (probably Time, although it may have been USN&WR or
Newsweek) in a cover story on the commission report. I have
not studied Donnerstein's work closely enough to comment on it.

> Does this mean that you have fewer objections to restrictions of these
> materials than of other materials?  Can ``degrading'' materials be included in
> the first item, if they are degrading enough?

No. The trouble with the "degrading" category is that it is not objective
(different people experience different things as "degrading") and thus
fails to meet a civilized society's standard for legal restriction.
Some people believe that sexuality is degrading per se, and hence would
view all sexually oriented art as "degrading". This is exactly what
happened whenever "degrading" materials were legislated against.

					Adam Reed (mtund!adam)

prs@oliveb.UUCP (Phil Stephens) (09/26/86)

In article <789@mtund.UUCP> adam@mtund.UUCP (Adam V. Reed) writes:

>IF this hypothesis were objectively shown to be true, a person providing
>fantasy materials to someone with this deficit would become liable,
>under common law, for civil damages in the amount of the harm thus
>caused. It is likely that providers would then require proof of the
>ability to use the materials safely, just as car rental companies
>will not rent a car to someone who has not demonstrated the ability to
>use it without endangering others. I see no constitutional problems,
>and no need for legislation if the testing were done by private firms.

A startling idea, but it makes sense on further thought (*if* the alleged
dangers can be established for some subset of entertainment, and *if* some
way of assessing ability to use responsibly is available).

Automobiles are not the only example already in place; explosives for
construction are *very* dangerous, and some restrictions apply.  Also
guns.  Many areas require attending a class before you are allowed to
legally carry "mace".  Heavy equipment and bus driving have stricter
requirements than passenger sedans etc.  All of these examples are
*orders of magnitude* more dangerous than the *worst* porn.

Oh, those are all *productive* items (except the weapons?  sort of).
How about entertainment?  Fireworks technicians, stuntmen, race car
drivers, animal trainers, acrobatic pilots, high-wire artists...
all are or could reasonably be subject to qualification requirements.
Legalisticly quite reasonable.  Not quite the same, but comparable.

Not that it will happen.  We will either have censorship or we won't.
Hysteria will either prevail or it won't.  "It's that simple".

[question about "degrading enough" being banned...]
>No. The trouble with the "degrading" category is that it is not objective
>(different people experience different things as "degrading") and thus
>fails to meet a civilized society's standard for legal restriction.

Good answer to one of MT's *major* points of contention with (many of)
the rest of the net.  Thanks again, Adam.

>					Adam Reed (mtund!adam)

						- Phil
Organization not responsible for these opinions: Olivetti ATC; Cupertino, Ca
Quote: Everybody bops.   _on blackboard or something in "She Bop" video.

mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) (10/01/86)

Sorry this took so long to turn around; I've been busy for a while.
>Adam Reed:
>> >2. Determine whose behavior is adversely affected by fantasy materials.
>> >The existing evidence is consistent with the hypothesis that adverse
>> >behavioral effects are confined to people suffering from a specific
>> >cognitive deficit, ...  Behavioral studies might be conducted to evaluate
>> >this hypothesis empirically. We could also learn how to diagnose this
>> >(at this point hypothetical) deficit, and how to remediate it (for
>> >example, by teaching the art of distinguishing between fantasy and
>> >reality to those affected, if it turns out to be a teachable cognitive
>> >skill).
>Mark Terribile:
>> As far as identifying people *before* they become offenders: how do you propose
>> to do this?  Mandatory psychological testing seems even more invasive than
>> mandatory drug testing, and a lot more dangerous from the constitutional
>> standpoint than either drug testing or the restriction of specific material
>> depicting specific acts that the *Miller* standard permits.
>
>IF this hypothesis were objectively shown to be true, a person providing
>fantasy materials to someone with this deficit would become liable,
>under common law, for civil damages in the amount of the harm thus
>caused. It is likely that providers would then require proof of the
>ability to use the materials safely, just as car rental companies
>will not rent a car to someone who has not demonstrated the ability to
>use it without endangering others. I see no constitutional problems,
>and no need for legislation if the testing were done by private firms.

There are certain limitations to the civil remedy, and certain dangers as
well.  First, how do you determine that the material came from a specific
vendor?  With rent-a-cars you have the registration of the vehicle.  Will
it be illegal to sell the material under question without the vendor's name?
What if the user digs it out of the trash?  Etc.

And what happens if the work that triggers the effect is a work of considerable
literary or political value -- something that is clearly protected by the First
Amendment in the current interpretation of the law?

Because civil law requires not the ``proof beyond a reasonable doubt'' but
only a ``preponderance of evidence'', the ``chilling effect'' upon legitimate
authors and booksellers could be more severe than any criminal law.

The Commission recommended the use of civil law to recover damages; I think
that they may not have considered the current state of our tort system.  Of
course, if you have a demonstration that the material either was legally
obscene or could have been legally obscene had the legislature so declared
it, you have a point from which to begin arguments in the civil law case; if
the work was not legally obscene, but protected by the First Amendment, then
you get down to the issues of whether the material actually defamed an
individual or a class.

Viewed in this light, the use of laws based either on the *Miller* standard,
or a similar standard, requiring that the material be offensive (whatever
that means) to the ``average person'', *then* requiring it to violate certain
objective criteria set forth by the legislature, *then* exempting all material
with serious claims to First Amendment protection looks far more enforcable
and less open to abuse, aw well as less likely to pose a ``chilling effect.''
Look at the inability to secure insurance in many circumstances caused by
the potential for abuse of the current tort law.

>> Does this mean that you have fewer objections to restrictions of these
>> materials than of other materials?  Can ``degrading'' materials be included in
>> the first item, if they are degrading enough?
>
>No. The trouble with the "degrading" category is that it is not objective
>(different people experience different things as "degrading") and thus
>fails to meet a civilized society's standard for legal restriction.
>Some people believe that sexuality is degrading per se, and hence would
>view all sexually oriented art as "degrading". This is exactly what
>happened whenever "degrading" materials were legislated against.

The question was asked of Kee, but your answer is a fair one.  Would you object
to attempts to determine if there is any consenus on what people consider
degrading, or if there is some small set of criteria that people use in various
ways?

There are relatively few people who believe that all sexuality is degrading;
there are a variety of opinions beyond that.  But if objective criteria could
be established that would fall within what most people considered degrading,
would you continue to stand by this objection?
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	mtx5b!mat