[net.legal] Porn: Tracking of Actors

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (10/03/86)

In article <1597@felix.UUCP> daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) writes:

> mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) writes:
>>
>[regarding age of porn film actors]
>>First of all, in New York State, the age limit is 16, not 18.  A little too
>>young.  Secondly, it is claimed that in making films for certain audiences,
>>*not* pedophilic in the usual sense, there is a great deal of pressure to
>>use women (and men) who are younger.  Because of loose recordkeeping require-
>>ments and because the ``stars'' are usually paid in cash, it's hard for the
>>State labor authorities or child welfare authorities to keep tabs on this
>>properly.

Most magazines I have purchased have had a disclaimer indicating that
all models were over 18, and that captions, etc, may not reflect the views
of the models.  They also idicate that records proving the age of the
models can be obtained by appropriate govornment agencies at the publishers
address.  This disclaimer is most common in publications produced in
California.

>I'm not sure that this is a valid reason for preventing these willing people
>from working.  Just because it may be difficult for the government to stick
>their nose into something, does not mean it should be made illegal.

It is up to the state to decide what the legal age of consent should be.
Once that decision is made, the production is legal or not, depending
on that age.

There is the question of whether the something produced in a state where
legal age is 15, and sold where legal age is 18.  It increases the
likelihood that the state with the lowest age of consent could become
the state with the most active "youth" porn industry.  Most publishers
seem to be going for the highest, around 18.

There also the question of non-sexual pictorials.  If the girl is 14,
but shown posing by herself, not with another man, is this a crime?
If the photographer was also a young girl?  Slumber parties could become
a profitable business.

The preventive here of course, is that for the pictures to be published,
the model, or his/her legal guardian, must sign a release.  UCC requires
a person to be 18 to do this in most states.

Since the states must depend on the federal government to regulate interstate
commerce, it is a federal problem.

>Example:  It is hard to keep track of people who wander around the country
>and have no permanent address.  Should we outlaw this, and throw nomads (or
>gypsies, or whatever you want to call them) in jail?

A more accurate parallel would be to throw the landlords who rent to them
in jail, along with the employers who employ them.  This is done where
illegal immigrants are involved.