[net.legal] Sex, Sports, and literary merit.

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (10/03/86)

In article <1597@felix.UUCP> daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) writes:
> mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) writes:
>>> [regarding porn magazines as opposed to "outdoor" type magazines]
>
>>> In more than one of the "skin" magazines I have read, there are write-in sec-
>>> tions that DO answer questions, address disease protection and so forth, dispel-
>>> ling myths and performing a definite educational function.  Some of the most
>>> comprehensive articles about "safe sex" (regarding AIDS) that I have seen ap-
>>> peared in Hustler magazine.
>>
>>And to the extent that these things are done, and to the extent that the
>>advice is sound (my guess is that it is) the publications are serving a
>>useful purpose to their subscribers.  But not all the remarks are directed
>>at Hustler (although some may be) and not all the remarks are directed at
>>magazines.  What about the ``XXX Sex Dreams of a Sorority Girl XXX'' (the
>>name is one I just made up, folks ...) films that get run in the ``adult
>>theaters''.  Do they have write-in sections on sex with medically sound
>>advice?
>As can be seen by the quote I included, I was responding to the comparison of
>porn MAGAZINES with "outdoors" or "sports" MAGAZINES.  If you want to change
>the subject to films, fine, but obviously what I said has no bearing on this.

Sports media and porn media are very similar markets.

I don't remember the last football game I watched.  I do remember a lot
of indescriminate violence, injuries, and intentional abuse.  I don't
remember any precautionary material being presented.  I do remember
watching one in a public place where a man broke his glass because
someone wasn't being abusive enough.  There was lots of shouting,
anger, and drinking.  Maybe we should ban football?
:->.

I don't remember precautionary statements in the baseball game about
proper and safe use of a baseball bat.  "Warriors" is an example of
how not to use one, but of how they are often used.  Maybe we should
ban baseball?
:->

I saw a hocky game on telvision once.  I remember them trying to explain
in which ways it was against the rules to beat someone, and in which
ways it acceptable to beat someone.  I didn't understand them, but
then appearantly, neither did the players.  Maybe we should ban hocky?

Of course, we know that both Magnum P.I. and Miami Vice always have at
least 10% of the show devoted to the safe use of handguns before they
are used to kill those nasty people.  Maybe we should ban the use
of guns on television?

Almost every adventure and detective case has at least one car chase,
often lasting at least one minute, usually ending in destruction of
at least three vehicles.  Maybe car chases lead to wreckless driving!
Maybe we should ban car chases?

More people have been hurt, disabled, and even killed in all the
"sports events" than have been featured in pornographic films.

Sports are supposed to teach the *participants* values such as teamwork,
cooperation, and instinctive ability.  The fact that they teach the
viewers such values as "winning at all costs", "violence for the sake
of the game", and admiration for abuse and violence, means nothing?

You watch sports if you want Mark.  I'd rather watch a dirty movie :-).
How about you dave?
>Dave
>>Mark Terribile
>>>Dave
Sex - America's favorite sport.
Rex B.

Opinions are mine alone, and subject to change without notice (But I doubt it).