[net.legal] Porn: warning lables.

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (10/07/86)

In article <41@oliveb.UUCP> prs@oliven.UUCP (Philip Stephens) writes:
>In article <1578@mtx5a.UUCP> mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) writes:
>>
>>Phil's article is just too long to reply to point by point; it is also a
>>good challenge.  I will assume that the reader has read it.

This dialogue covers so many points, I thought I'd break off a few subtopics.

>You have not shown
>that a significant percentage of the (millions of??) people viewing
>"unusual" practices are insensitive and stupid enough to attempt to inflict
>them on an unwilling loved one, but even if you did, warning lables might
>be more appropriate; make the *information*, including illustrative pictures
>and video, still available, but label it with a warning such as:
>
>	As you no doubt realize, the practices shown in this video are
>	not to everyone's liking, and so should not be forced on
>	anyone.  Obviously.  You might use it to bring up the subject
>	to a loved one, but beyond that please just enjoy watching.
>	And remember, we fake a lot of this dramatic stuff, just like
>	mainstream films do.  "Don't try this at home, kids" applies
>	to some of it, just as it would to car-chase scenes!
>
>Neither authoritarian nor censorship.  And much too reasonable for any
>government body to approve, I suppose.  (btw, the actual publishers
>would choose entirely different wording; this is just an example.

On principle supplier of bondage restraints is even more explicit than
that.  In their catalogue, certain items are labled in as many as 4
places, "Do not restrain slave in this device for more than one hour".
(extended use can cause accidental dislocation of the shoulders).

Vibrators are often labled with cautions against using it on a person's
feet.

Most "gentle bondage" magazines, which are usually read before more
extreme magazines include such tips as:

Before beginning, agree on one or more signals which the slave can
use to prompt immediate release.  Some "password" such as "stawberries"
or something that will not be confused with role playing.

When using gags, or other oral restraints, make sure that the signal
can be used whenever needed.

Remove gags at the first sign of choking, or breathing problems.

Be sure that restraints can be removed quickly in case the slave
has muscle cramps or convulsions.

Progress slowly in punishment or humiliation.  The intent is to
arouse, not lose a lover.

If the slave panics, he/she may begin to kick, scream, or show
signs of genuine fear.  It's better to let the slave loose, than
to risk further panic.

Never put anything that can stangle the slave around the slave's
neck.

Some of the precautions to the slave:

Start slow.  Use caution, especially with a new or beginning partner.
For first sessions, make sure you can "escape" if necessary.

State explicitly what you are willing to try for each session.  Initially,
any variations in the program should be verbally at least approved by you.

If your "dominant" releases you because of possible cramps, convulsions, or
other concerns, do not get angry, the first concern is safety and pleasure,
not "acting ability".

Never allow yourself to be restrained completely by a lover you don't trust
entirely.

Always make sure someone besides the dominant knows where you are.
(Most dominatrixes won't even take on a new customer unless he is
escorted by a "regular").

Other general precautions:

When using rope to bind wrists or ankles, gloves and boots prevent
serious injuries as well as prevent unsightly rope burn marks.

Stockings and silk scarves make good restraints, but if pulled too
tight, can literally cut wrists and ankles.

Waterbeds are ok, but don't wear heels, spikes, or sharp objects.
(This is more of a precaution to dominants).

A dominant should not fall asleep while the slave is restrained.

(Some bondage gear catalogues do sell "sleepware" devices which
are safe for "overnight" wear.)

There are several maximum time limits for suspensions, inversions,
elbow cuffs, and other "delightfully uncomfortable" positions.  In some
cases, some submissives will sometimes not want to quit.

Some "slaves" are into self-bondage.  Again precautions are given, including
some form of guaranteed escape.  Precautions against strangulation, restricted
use of blindfolds and hoods, and unrecomended self-bondage techniques.

More than one magazine has warned of the dangers of "self hanging".  This
is a practice where the victim tries to achieve orgasm before suffocating.
There are several incidents where police have found people who have
accidently not been able to get the strangling device off in time.
This practice by the way, is most common among men who are often
too ashamed of their "preferences" to experience them in the safer
supervision of a safe dominant partner.  Often, bondage porn is NOT
found in the area.

>I've actually seen well-thought-out disclaimers in "specialty" magazines...
>some worded as if by lawyers, some as an editorial, and some a person to
>person plea to be careful with certain potentially dangerous practices).

It is possible for someone to read "hard core" bondage porn without
getting into the "moderate" rules.  If they aren't shocked, they will
probably investigate the more moderate forms first.

Often, there are a number of preconditions that a submissive will require
to enjoy bondage.  They vary from forced or voluntary cross-dressing, to
verbal humiliation.  These are as necessary to the submissive for bondage
as clothing is for dining in public.  Submissives often have some little
fetish, routine, or "role" which the dominant should grant.

Having had a little experience on both sides of the ropes :-),
such instructional porn has made such practices much safer than if we
were left to "experiment" ignorantly.

I might add, I was introduced to both sides before either of us had read
such literature.

I have, in previous articles, cited examples where the "rules" were
not followed.  You can guess now, how I know which is which.

And, I prefer the submissive role.

Rex. B.