[net.misc] Joseph Newman's Energy Machine

kpc@tulane.UUCP (Kevin Centanni) (10/10/85)

To whom it may concern:
     Today, I had the oppurnity to attend the first public showing of the
Energy Machine of Joseph Newman.  For those of you not familiar with Mr.
Newman and his "energy machine":  It seems that a man from a place called
Lucedale, Mississippi has invented a motor that has a production efficiency
of over 800% (yes, that is correct, eight hundred percent).  Somehow, this
rather small (less than 2 feet high and 1 foot wide) device consisting of
over 200 pounds of copper wire can put out more external energy than the
amount of external energy put into it.  The demonstration given today at
the New Orleans Hilton consisted of a panel of about 8 competent scientists
who spoke of the machine with words like (quote) "The future of the human
race may be drastically uplifted by the large scale commercial development
of this invention".  I purchased a copy of Mr. Newman's book which explains
the principles behind this machine.  Upon Patent Office approval, Newman
plans to begin production on his machine.  Within a year, the average home
could be powered by a Newman energy machine in the backyard costing around
$3000.  The machine which I saw operate today used several lantern batteries
for a power source... connected to the machine's ouput leads were a neon
sign and about 12 florescent tubes (each 5 feet long).  When Newman threw
the switch, the lights and sign started to blink on and off... the only
movement seen in the machine itself was a spark every tenth of a second or
so.  Obvisouly, 12 florscent tubes cannor be powered by a few lantern
batteries, and there was NO trickery to be seen... it seems that the machine
was actually putting out more energy than it was taking in... the energy
being generated by the machine was coming directly for the conversion of
copper to energy (E=MC^2).  Needless to say, I was very intrigued.
     It seems that since March 22, 1979 Mr. Newman has been trying to obtain
a patent for the U.S. Patent Office; but they have refused on what seems to
be "arbitrary, capricious, and contradictory treatment" of Mr. Newman and
his invention.  I am more than willing to provide more information on what
I have learned so far about Joseph Newman and his energy machine... I'd like
to know what the educated community thinks about this man and his machine.

                                  Kevin P. Centanni
                                  Dept. of Computer Science
                                  Tulane University
                                  New Orleans, Louisiana
                                  {ulysses,akgua}!tulane!kpc
                                  ulysses!tulane!kpc@Berkeley.ARPA

The views expressed here are personal and do not necessarily reflect the
                                                 views of the university.

                                                   -=< kpc >=-

jfk@tulane.UUCP (John Kreuter) (10/10/85)

In article <173@tulane.UUCP> kpc@tulane.UUCP (Kevin Centanni) writes:
>To whom it may concern:
>     Today, I had the oppurnity to attend the first public showing of the
>Energy Machine of Joseph Newman.  For those of you not familiar with Mr.
>Newman and his "energy machine":  It seems that a man from a place called
>Lucedale, Mississippi has invented a motor that has a production efficiency
>of over 800% (yes, that is correct, eight hundred percent).  Somehow, this

seems rather hard to believe....
>$3000.  The machine which I saw operate today used several lantern batteries
>for a power source... connected to the machine's ouput leads were a neon
>sign and about 12 florescent tubes (each 5 feet long).  When Newman threw
>the switch, the lights and sign started to blink on and off... the only

this reminds me of a circus sideshow...if the machine really does what the
`inventor' claims, why not cook a meal in a microwave oven, or power up a
color TV?

>batteries, and there was NO trickery to be seen... it seems that the machine
>was actually putting out more energy than it was taking in... the energy
>being generated by the machine was coming directly for the conversion of
>copper to energy (E=MC^2).  Needless to say, I was very intrigued.

if this is true, how about a measurement of the weight of the copper after
a test of some duration?  There should be quite measurable changes in weight.

>     It seems that since March 22, 1979 Mr. Newman has been trying to obtain
>a patent for the U.S. Patent Office; but they have refused on what seems to
>be "arbitrary, capricious, and contradictory treatment" of Mr. Newman and

oh gee, must be the government is involved in another conspiracy with the
oil companies to deprive us of cheap energy.

                                        sceptically
                                        John Kreuter
ihnp4!ulysses!tulane!jfk

these views do not reflect anyone's opinions including my own.....

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (10/12/85)

P.T. Barnum would have loved it.

--Lauren--

ian@loral.UUCP (Ian Kaplan) (10/14/85)

In article <173@tulane.UUCP> kpc@tulane.UUCP (Kevin Centanni) writes:
>     Today, I had the oppurnity to attend the first public showing of the
>Energy Machine of Joseph Newman.  For those of you not familiar with Mr.
>Newman and his "energy machine":  It seems that a man from a place called
>Lucedale, Mississippi has invented a motor that has a production efficiency
>of over 800% (yes, that is correct, eight hundred percent).  Somehow, this
>rather small (less than 2 feet high and 1 foot wide) device consisting of
>over 200 pounds of copper wire can put out more external energy than the
>amount of external energy put into it.
>     It seems that since March 22, 1979 Mr. Newman has been trying to obtain
>a patent for the U.S. Patent Office; but they have refused on what seems to
>be "arbitrary, capricious, and contradictory treatment" of Mr. Newman and
>his invention.

  Actually I am sure that the Patent Office has seen patents for machines
  like Mr. Newman's before.

>                                  Kevin P. Centanni
>                                  Dept. of Computer Science
>                                  Tulane University

    There seem to be three possible reasons for posting this note to
    the net:

      1. Mr. Centanni is pulling our collective legs.

      2. He bet a friend that the people on the net are highly gullable
	 and he posted this as a test case.

      3. Mr. Centanni is totally ignorant of the laws of physics and
	 actually believes that the Energy Machine is possible.  If this is
	 the case I recommend that Mr. Centanni sit in on some physics
	 classes.  Knowledge of computer science is no excuss for ignorance
	 in other areas.

    If this is not a joke, then I would ask Mr. Centanni if the purpose
    of Mr. Newman's demonstration was to raise money for this invention
    that was sure to sweep the world.  Perpetual motion machines and Ponzi
    schemes are old but they never seem to fail to gull people.

		     Ian Kaplan
	     USENET: {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!ian
	     ARPA:   sdcc6!loral!ian@UCSD

    The opinions expressed here are my own and are not necessarily shared
    by the owners of this computer system.

res@ihlpl.UUCP (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T Information Systems - Indian Hill West; formerly) (10/14/85)

>      Today, I had the oppurnity to attend the first public showing of the
> Energy Machine of Joseph Newman.  For those of you not familiar with Mr.
> Newman and his "energy machine":  It seems that a man from a place called
> Lucedale, Mississippi has invented a motor that has a production efficiency
> of over 800% (yes, that is correct, eight hundred percent).  Somehow, this
     ^^^^^^^^^                                                 ^^^^^^^
> rather small (less than 2 feet high and 1 foot wide) device consisting of
> over 200 pounds of copper wire can put out more external energy than the
> amount of external energy put into it.
> I purchased a copy of Mr. Newman's book which explains
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> the principles behind this machine.
	... [the machine is powered by a few lantern batteries.]
> When Newman threw
> the switch, the lights and sign started to blink on and off... the only
> movement seen in the machine itself was a spark every tenth of a second or
> so.  Obvisouly, 12 florscent tubes cannor be powered by a few lantern
       ^^^^^^^^^
> batteries, and there was NO trickery to be seen... it seems that the machine
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^       ^^^^^
> was actually putting out more energy than it was taking in... the energy
> being generated by the machine was coming directly for the conversion of
> copper to energy (E=MC^2).  Needless to say, I was very intrigued.
> I am more than willing to provide more information on what
> I have learned so far about Joseph Newman and his energy machine... I'd like
> to know what the educated community thinks about this man and his machine.

To quote Mr. P. T. Barnum:  "There is a sucker born every minute."

How much did he hit you for the book?

					Rich Strebendt
					...!ihnp4!iwsl6!res

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (10/14/85)

>In article <173@tulane.UUCP> kpc@tulane.UUCP (Kevin Centanni) writes:
>>To whom it may concern:
>>     Today, I had the oppurnity to attend the first public showing of the
>>Energy Machine of Joseph Newman.  For those of you not familiar with Mr.
>>Newman and his "energy machine":  It seems that a man from a place called
>>Lucedale, Mississippi has invented a motor that has a production efficiency
>>of over 800% (yes, that is correct, eight hundred percent).  Somehow, this
>>$3000.  The machine which I saw operate today used several lantern batteries
>>for a power source... connected to the machine's ouput leads were a neon
>>sign and about 12 florescent tubes (each 5 feet long).  When Newman threw
>>the switch, the lights and sign started to blink on and off... the only
>>batteries, and there was NO trickery to be seen... it seems that the machine
>>was actually putting out more energy than it was taking in... the energy
>>being generated by the machine was coming directly for the conversion of
>>copper to energy (E=MC^2).  Needless to say, I was very intrigued.
>>     It seems that since March 22, 1979 Mr. Newman has been trying to obtain
>>a patent for the U.S. Patent Office; but they have refused on what seems to
>>be "arbitrary, capricious, and contradictory treatment" of Mr. Newman and

The story I heard was that the machine was not actually "creating"energy
so much as utilizing a small amount of energy to tap into the earth's
magnetic field to help set up a current. I'll admit to being a bit
sceptical, yet I've not heard of a good explaination of what is going
on with Newman's set-up. I'd be interested in hearing more of Newman's
theory AND the objecting theories.

Anyone got any definitive info?

				Curious,
					P.M.Pincha-Wagener

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (10/14/85)

> (John Kreuter)
>> (Kevin Centanni)
>>batteries, and there was NO trickery to be seen... it seems that the machine
							^^^^^
  ( *seems* is  most likely the correct word)

>>was actually putting out more energy than it was taking in... the energy
>>being generated by the machine was coming directly for the conversion of
>>copper to energy (E=MC^2).  Needless to say, I was very intrigued.
>
>if this is true, how about a measurement of the weight of the copper after
>a test of some duration?  There should be quite measurable changes in weight.

This is not a good test, if the machine works by converting the copper to
energy, because the amount of mass required for a few watts is very small
(C**2 is a big number) and so this measurement would be prone to error.
How about measuring power capacities of the batteries and comparing to the
power output of the machine?

>                                        sceptically
>                                        John Kreuter
			just as skeptical if not more,
				GDS

gv@hou2e.UUCP (A.VANNUCCI) (10/14/85)

>      Today, I had the oppurnity to attend the first public showing of the
> Energy Machine of Joseph Newman.  For those of you not familiar with Mr.
> Newman and his "energy machine":  It seems that a man from a place called
> Lucedale, Mississippi has invented a motor that has a production efficiency
> of over 800% (yes, that is correct, eight hundred percent).......
>
> ......  The machine which I saw operate today used several lantern batteries
> for a power source... connected to the machine's ouput leads were a neon
> sign and about 12 florescent tubes (each 5 feet long).  When Newman threw
> the switch, the lights and sign started to blink on and off... the only
> movement seen in the machine itself was a spark every tenth of a second or
> so.  Obvisouly, 12 florscent tubes cannor be powered by a few lantern
> batteries, and there was NO trickery to be seen.......
>
>                                   Kevin P. Centanni
>                                   Dept. of Computer Science
>                                   Tulane University
>                                   New Orleans, Louisiana
>                                   {ulysses,akgua}!tulane!kpc
>                                   ulysses!tulane!kpc@Berkeley.ARPA

   To make the demonstration *really* believable, Mr. Newman should
(after starting the machine) connect its output back to its input and
let it power itself indefinitely. That will certainly prove that it
generates more power than it takes in.

   By the way, as an electrical engineer I don't see any difficulty
in powering 12 fluorescent tubes (each five feet long) and a neon sign
with several lantern batteries.   All you need is a flyback transformer
for voltage conversion (there are several possible designs with mechanical
switches, which would be characterized by their producing a spark every
tenth of a second or so).  The lantern batteries have plenty of power,
at a low voltage.  Let's not confuse voltage with power.

		Giovanni Vannucci
		AT&T Bell Laboratories      HOH R-207
		Holmdel, NJ 07733
		hou2e!gv

gjphw@iham1.UUCP (wyant) (10/14/85)

    I would like to offer a few comments about K. Centanni's posting concerning
 an invention by J. Newman.  These notes arise from an article that appeared in
 SCIENCE NEWS several months ago.

    It seems that Newman has produced an interesting device though the details
 of its operation are obscure.  When Newman first applied for a patent, the
 Patent Office read his application as one for a perpetual motion machine and
 rejected it.  However, unlike most other inventors who request great sums of
 money before displaying their inventions to anyone else, Newman has been most
 interested in obtaining a patent.  He asked for, and received, a review of his
 device by an "expert" from the National Bureau of Standards.  This reviewer
 examined the device and filed a deposition with the Patent Office that the
 invention worked essentially as Newman had described it.  The Patent Office
 has continued the patent application under review (dragging their feet?).

    Newman has invited other people, mostly engineers from industry and
 universities, to examine his machine.  They have been quite interested but
 have not supplied any detail about how they think the "energy machine" works.
 Newman is, for the most part, a self-educated inventor (T. Edison was also
 self-educated) and seems content to provide qualitative descriptions of how
 his invention works.  The short description that I have been able to read
 indicates that Newman holds to some kind of ether theory (similar to Maxwell's
 ether theory) and his device converts the ether energy into mechanical or
 electrical energy (the mass to energy conversion is new to me).

    Newman is working on a healthy paranoia concerning his difficulties in
 obtaining a patent.  Yes, the Patent Office is dragging its feet despite the
 comments of the dozen or so people who have seen it and the NBS examiner.
 However, in criticism, Newman has not demonstrated his device with any
 equipment that requires a substantial amount of power (e.g., electrical motors
 rather than light bulbs).  He claims to have discovered a new electromagnetic
 principle but no physicist has examined it and written an explanative article
 about it.  Without a quantitative description (i.e., mathematical) of the
 operating principles, Newman's invention will not be taken seriously by the
 physics community, even if he has stumbled onto some new phenomena of nature.

    I recall cases where inventors built a small prototype device that relied
 on some properties of which they were ignorant, and the device would not
 operate when scaled up to a practical size.  Newman does not appear to be
 attempting fraud with his invention, but I am unconvinced that he understands
 its operation or that it can be made practical.  I would like a more careful
 examination of the device by some EE's and physicists with a few articles
 describing its operation.  On the other hand, I can appreciate Newman's
 refusal to permit this until the patent is safely in his possession.

                             Patrick Wyant
                             AT&T Bell Laboratories (Naperville, IL)
                             *!ihwld!gjphw

hmd@oce-rd2.UUCP (Hubert van Dongen) (10/15/85)

Did anyone happen to measure both voltage and size of both ingoing and
outcoming currents?

As most people will know P=V*I (power is voltage times current), sothat
this would be the most elementary test one can imagine to test this
perpetuum mobile.

	Hubert van Dongen
	Oce-Nederland B.V.
	{seismo,decvax,ucbvax,philabs}mcvax!oce-rd1!hmd

tomlin@dspo.UUCP (10/16/85)

Well scoffers, this machine has been reported on in national press (NPR)
and is supposedly on the up and up.  Panels of doubting "experts" have
apparently authenticated it, etc.  I don't know it works, but I sure
don't know it absolutely doesn't work either.
				-- bob
--
Bob Tomlinson - dspo!tomlin@LANL  or  {ucbvax!unmvax,ihnp4!lanl}!dspo!tomlin
Los Alamos National Laboratory - E-10/Data Systems

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Colonel'K) (10/17/85)

>>>was actually putting out more energy than it was taking in... the energy
>>>being generated by the machine was coming directly for the conversion of
>>>copper to energy (E=MC^2).  Needless to say, I was very intrigued.

>>if this is true, how about a measurement of the weight of the copper after
>>a test of some duration?  There should be quite measurable changes in weight.

>This is not a good test, if the machine works by converting the copper to
>energy, because the amount of mass required for a few watts is very small
>(C**2 is a big number) and so this measurement would be prone to error.
>How about measuring power capacities of the batteries and comparing to the
>power output of the machine?

How about just rigging some sort of feed back and disconnecting the
batteries, then finding out how long the lights still work?

			Sounds like a pigment of your immigration,

			Scott J. Berry

quiroz@rochester.UUCP (Cesar Quiroz) (10/17/85)

(Do I really want to post this?) Sensible people please press 'q', 'n'
or whatever is appropriate ...

From article <463@iham1.UUCP> (gjphw@iham1.UUCP (wyant)):

>    Newman is working on a healthy paranoia concerning his difficulties in
> obtaining a patent.  ...
Sigh! Potential explanation ahead.

> ...                        On the other hand, I can appreciate Newman's
> refusal to permit this until the patent is safely in his possession.

Me too.  Problem is, there may be *nothing* to patent, which can delay the
procedures a bit.

It may well be true that Newman's machine exhibits some behavior of interest
to science (or entertainment).  But 800% energy efficiency??????  WAKE UP!
As somebody already suggested, what about starting the thing in series with
a single bulb, a la

battery | thing | bulb

and then switching the output to go from the bulb back into the input ports of
the machine, bypassing the battery?  Unless the bulb and the wiring display a
rather remarkable resistance, I would expect a large fraction of the 800% to
remain around.  Want to see if the bulb (or the machine) fuses away?  Now, THAT
would be a demo.

Cesar (Ever heard of exponential growth?)
--
Cesar Augusto  Quiroz Gonzalez

Department of Computer Science     {allegra|seismo}!rochester!quiroz
University of Rochester            or
Rochester,  NY 14627               quiroz@ROCHESTER

freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) (10/17/85)

It seems to me that in the interest of *real* scientific objectivity that
anyone who claims it to be a hoax should be able to back that claim up with
scientific evidence. It seems reasonable that Mr Newman want the protection
of a patent before subjecting his invention to detailed public scrutiny.
I am kind of ashamed of the lack of *open-minded* scientific curiosity dis-
played on this net over a fairly interesting phenomona. *WHETHER OR NOT* it
is a hoax. Flames on everyone!
                           Erik James Freed
			   Aurora Systems
			   San Francisco, CA
			   {dual,ptsfa}!aum!freed

> Well scoffers, this machine has been reported on in national press (NPR)

A real scientific criterion.

steven@hp-lsd.UUCP (steven) (10/17/85)

> Device #1: an electrical device which takes in 10 volts AC at 1 ampere
> 	    and puts out 100 volts AC at 1 ampere.  The device will not
> 	    contain any internal energy sources and the measurements of
> 	    current and voltage will not be faked.
   I note that nothing is said about the phases of the voltage and
current.  Also, are these RMS or peak?

> Device #2: a closed box with a button on top.  The box can be set on a
> 	    passive wheeled platform or on some wooden dowels and it
> 	    will move a distance much greater than its own length when
> 	    the button is pushed.  The floor of the room will not be
> 	    slanted - the box may be turned around and it will move in
> 	    the other direction on activation.  The box will not take in
> 	    or put out any matter for its propulsion.
  Not too difficult since wheels and rollers are not frictionless.
Internal masses can be moved to provide reaction and can be restored to
their original positions without reaction by not exceeding static
friction forces.  It is fairly easy to move a wheeled chair across a
room without touching the floor.

> Device #3: an apparatus incorporating no batteries or other chemical
> 	    sources of electricity and no moving parts whatsoever, which
> 	    can light a small electric lamp.
  I can come up with nuclear cells, photovoltaic cells, thermocouples,
lightning rods, radio antennae and large capacitors as possible solutions.
Some of these might be classified as chemical.  Since your price has
already been undercut, I am curious about your intended solutions.  How
about at the same prices as mine :-).

                               Steven Sharp
                               hp-lsd!steven

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (10/17/85)

OK, people, enough is enough.  There are too many gullible people
out there and it's time to stop arguing and do the obvious thing.
After the following comments I will make my offer (for a limited
time only, and not available in any store!)

While in article <1760@watdcsu.UUCP> sgcpal@watdcsu.UUCP (P.A. Layman) writes:
>Indeed several reliable and independent sources have
>confirmed the performance of this machine.

Here is my offer:  For the sum of US$25,000, payable on delivery,
I will construct a device satisfying any one of the following
descriptions (buyer's choice).  Upon demonstration of the device
in a an accessible location of my choosing and payment of the money,
I will transfer the device and all rights to it to the buyer.

Device #1: an electrical device which takes in 10 volts AC at 1 ampere
	    and puts out 100 volts AC at 1 ampere.  The device will not
	    contain any internal energy sources and the measurements of
	    current and voltage will not be faked.

Device #2: a closed box with a button on top.  The box can be set on a
	    passive wheeled platform or on some wooden dowels and it
	    will move a distance much greater than its own length when
	    the button is pushed.  The floor of the room will not be
	    slanted - the box may be turned around and it will move in
	    the other direction on activation.  The box will not take in
	    or put out any matter for its propulsion.

Device #3: an apparatus incorporating no batteries or other chemical
	    sources of electricity and no moving parts whatsoever, which
	    can light a small electric lamp.

If nobody accepts this offer in the near future, then I will explain
the principle of operation of any one of these devices for the sum of
US$1,000, paid in advance.

Put up or shut up.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (10/18/85)

> Here is my offer:  For the sum of US$25,000, payable on delivery,
> I will construct a device satisfying any one of the following
> descriptions (buyer's choice).  Upon demonstration of the device
> in a an accessible location of my choosing and payment of the money,
> I will transfer the device and all rights to it to the buyer.
>
> Device #1: an electrical device which takes in 10 volts AC at 1 ampere
> 	    and puts out 100 volts AC at 1 ampere.  The device will not
> 	    contain any internal energy sources and the measurements of
> 	    current and voltage will not be faked.

       I'll take this one, as long as I can use a watt-meter to measure
the power in and out.  No tricks using tank circuits as loads or
low duty cycle outputs allowed.

> Device #2: a closed box with a button on top.  The box can be set on a
> 	    passive wheeled platform or on some wooden dowels and it
> 	    will move a distance much greater than its own length when
> 	    the button is pushed.  The floor of the room will not be
> 	    slanted - the box may be turned around and it will move in
> 	    the other direction on activation.  The box will not take in
> 	    or put out any matter for its propulsion.

       This one isn't that tough.  I assume that Matt had something different
in mind than my solution, since he asks that the device be placed on a
wheeled platform or on dowels.  My solution?  The button releases a tightly
wound spring, which spins a massive verticle wheel inside the box, causing
the box to roll, end over end, across the room.

> Device #3: an apparatus incorporating no batteries or other chemical
> 	    sources of electricity and no moving parts whatsoever, which
> 	    can light a small electric lamp.

      You can get solar cells anywhere, Matt, and your description of
this device seems to allow non-chemical sources of energy.

> If nobody accepts this offer in the near future, then I will explain
> the principle of operation of any one of these devices for the sum of
> US$1,000, paid in advance.

      Sorry for messing up your business.  Maybe you should try selling
these things on a less physics oriented net.
> Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
> Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

johansen@agrigene.UUCP (10/18/85)

>  On the other hand, I can appreciate Newman's
>  refusal to permit this until the patent is safely in his possession.

It seems to me that a patent on a worthless piece of equipment would be
worthless. On the other hand, if the machine really does work, Newman
would not lose patent rights by having it examined by any number of
experts. It is extremely unlikely that the idea could be stolen and
another individual obtain the patent considering Newman has already
applied for his. So why is he holding back?

rdp@teddy.UUCP (10/18/85)

In article <387@aum.UUCP> freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) writes:
>It seems to me that in the interest of *real* scientific objectivity that
>anyone who claims it to be a hoax should be able to back that claim up with
>scientific evidence. It seems reasonable that Mr Newman want the protection
>of a patent before subjecting his invention to detailed public scrutiny.
>I am kind of ashamed of the lack of *open-minded* scientific curiosity dis-
>played on this net over a fairly interesting phenomona. *WHETHER OR NOT* it
>is a hoax. Flames on everyone!
>--

The burden of proof does not lie on the world to prove Mr. Newman wrong,
it lies on Mr. Newman and his supporters to prove themselves right.
Similarily, I could claim that I saw a flotilla of flying saucers land
and disperse millions of aliens, which I single handedly killed and disposed
of the bodies. Now, who needs to prove what? Do you need to prove me wrong
or do I need to prove my ridiculous story is correct before you prove it
wrong.

Let's see what Mr. Newman has to say, sure. But his mere statement nor
its description in the press is insufficient proof of anything. If what he
is stating is true (800 percent efficiency), then the entire foundation
of physics is in serious jeoporady. Note that this violates, very clearly
the law of conservation of energy.

Who his is director of engineering, Emanuel Velikovsky? :-)

tomlin@dspo.UUCP (10/18/85)

Re:   NPR: A real scientific criterion.

And 20 blithering idiots with a machine connected to usenet is better?

--

In article <1004@oddjob.UUCP>, matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>Here is my offer:  For the sum of US$25,000, payable on delivery,
>I will construct a device satisfying any one of the following
>descriptions (buyer's choice).  Upon demonstration of the device
>in a an accessible location of my choosing and payment of the money,
>I will transfer the device and all rights to it to the buyer.
>
>Device #1: an electrical device which takes in 10 volts AC at 1 ampere
>	    and puts out 100 volts AC at 1 ampere.  The device will not
>	    contain any internal energy sources and the measurements of
>	    current and voltage will not be faked.
Transformer.  (Note: it CAN'T be 100% efficient, either.  Darn close but
not 100%.)

>Device #2: a closed box with a button on top.  The box can be set on a
>	    passive wheeled platform or on some wooden dowels and it
>	    will move a distance much greater than its own length when
>	    the button is pushed.  The floor of the room will not be
>	    slanted - the box may be turned around and it will move in
>	    the other direction on activation.  The box will not take in
>	    or put out any matter for its propulsion.
Contains some kind of accelerating mass, powered by batteries.

>Device #3: an apparatus incorporating no batteries or other chemical
>	    sources of electricity and no moving parts whatsoever, which
>	    can light a small electric lamp.

A HUGE capacitor.
>If nobody accepts this offer in the near future, then I will explain
>the principle of operation of any one of these devices for the sum of
>US$1,000, paid in advance.
>
>Put up or shut up.
>Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
>Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt
Sorry, your secrets are out.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (10/19/85)

Comments on the patentability of the magic energy machine...

>  Newman is, for the most part, a self-educated inventor (T. Edison was also
>  self-educated)...
Nice for Mr. Newman, but the bit about Edison is a complete non-sequitur;
I'm curious if this was just tossed into the parent article or is
something that Newman uses as part of his pitch.

>  ...Newman is working on a healthy paranoia concerning his difficulties in
>  obtaining a patent...
>  However, in criticism, Newman has not demonstrated his device with any
>  equipment that requires a substantial amount of power ...
...which, no doubt, gives anyone else dealing with the mechanism a healthy
paranoia (?) concerning any attempt to get a patent...He may not be
attempting to hoodwink people, fine, but non-dishonesty (sic) is not enough
reason for a patent.

>  ...I would like a more careful
>  examination of the device by some EE's and physicists with a few articles
>  describing its operation.  On the other hand, I can appreciate Newman's
>  refusal to permit this until the patent is safely in his possession.
No, this isn't the way it has to work.  Newman has no justification for a
patent until it's reasonably clear what's being patented.  If the patent
office isn't careful, they could end up granting a patent on a step-up
transformer!

If you don't understand the reason for caution in granting a patent, see
the discussion in net.graphics about how someone supposedly claims patent
rights to  xor cursors!
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Simpler is better.

> If nobody accepts this offer in the near future, then I will explain
> the principle of operation of any one of these devices for the sum of
> US$1,000, paid in advance.

Hey, I'll explain the devices for only $999 each.

I appreciate Matt's point but am afraid that the
gullible people typically have a deep psychological
need to believe in a conspiracy on the part of the
scientific establishment to suppress good ideas from
backyard inventors.  Giving three examples of devices
that look just like the bogus inventions but that have
solid scientific explanations won't prove a thing to
these people; they'll believe the next hoax for which
they haven't yet seen the explanation.  I think the
root of the problem is that the general public can no
longer tell the difference among fact, opinion, dogma,
knowledge, etc. due to systematic undercutting of
epistemology by intellectuals over several decades.
This makes them skeptical about all claims to
knowledge, with the inevitable result that they give
as much credence to unfounded claims as to genuine
scientific knowledge.

freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) (10/23/85)

> In article <387@aum.UUCP> freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) writes:
> >It seems to me that in the interest of *real* scientific objectivity that
> >anyone who claims it to be a hoax should be able to back that claim up with
> >scientific evidence. It seems reasonable that Mr Newman want the protection
> >of a patent before subjecting his invention to detailed public scrutiny.
> >I am kind of ashamed of the lack of *open-minded* scientific curiosity dis-
> >played on this net over a fairly interesting phenomona. *WHETHER OR NOT* it
> >is a hoax. Flames on everyone!
> >--
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> The burden of proof does not lie on the world to prove Mr. Newman wrong,
> it lies on Mr. Newman and his supporters to prove themselves right.
> Similarily, I could claim that I saw a flotilla of flying saucers land
> and disperse millions of aliens, which I single handedly killed and disposed
> of the bodies. Now, who needs to prove what? Do you need to prove me wrong
> or do I need to prove my ridiculous story is correct before you prove it
> wrong.
>
> Let's see what Mr. Newman has to say, sure. But his mere statement nor
> its description in the press is insufficient proof of anything. If what he
> is stating is true (800 percent efficiency), then the entire foundation
> of physics is in serious jeoporady. Note that this violates, very clearly
> the law of conservation of energy.
>
> Who his is director of engineering, Emanuel Velikovsky? :-)

You will notice that according to him he does not violate the conservation
laws, he derives energy from the mass of copper... My point is, however, that
the tenor of the articles has been ridicule based on very unscientific and
highly emotional prejudices; *NOT* understanding of the concepts involved.
I still hold that the reactions have been childish much like the emotional
reactions frontier scientists/inventors like Edison had to deal with. If
people want to say there is *NO* chance he is right I think they should have
a lot more evidence at their disposal! I am myself very sceptical, but I
think that it is *possible* if not likely.
                           Erik James Freed
			   Aurora Systems
			   San Francisco, CA
			   {dual,ptsfa}!aum!freed

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (10/23/85)

This somewhat reminds me of the "Dean device", which purported to become
lighter in operation. It was placed on a common bathroom scale and when
operated did, in fact, cause the scale to have a lower reading. This got a
patent, and in the process of trying to develop a practical use for the
principle was shown to be using a characteristic of spring scales.

I suspect that the Newman device is also a case of misapplication of a
principle rather than a fraud of any type. The matter to energy conversion
sounds VERY unlikely, but there is some posibility that a new discovery has
been made (bloody unlikely tho).

The only thing which makes this interesting to me is the fact that (a) he
isn't trying to get any money out of it (yet), and (b) one of the categories
of invention which used to be unpatentable was the heavier than air flying
machine. Since the patent application will protect his rights if there is some
commercial posibility here, I would love to see the machine really examined by
professionals.

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (10/23/85)

Device

In article <1221@mhuxt.UUCP> js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) writes:
>> Device #2: a closed box with a button on top.  The box can be set on a
>> 	    passive wheeled platform or on some wooden dowels and it
>> 	    will move a distance much greater than its own length when
>> 	    the button is pushed.  The floor of the room will not be
>> 	    slanted - the box may be turned around and it will move in
>> 	    the other direction on activation.  The box will not take in
>> 	    or put out any matter for its propulsion.
>
>       This one isn't that tough.  I assume that Matt had something different
>in mind than my solution, since he asks that the device be placed on a
>wheeled platform or on dowels.  My solution?  The button releases a tightly
>wound spring, which spins a massive verticle wheel inside the box, causing
>the box to roll, end over end, across the room.
>Jeff Sonntag
>ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

Actually, the easiest way to do this is to draw a weight slowly to one end of
the box. Friction keeps the box from moving. Then move the weight rapidly back
to the opposite end, giving a thrust great enough to move the box. For $25k
I'll even do it with desmodromic cams!

	-billD

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) (10/24/85)

[Naw, I don't really believe there's a line-eater.]             really believe there's a line-eater.

Kevin Centanni has mentioned a couple of times that Newman has demonstrated
his device before "hundreds of scientists".  The suggestion, apparently,
is that scientists (of whatever sort) are the best observers, most
likely to detect fraud.
   A countersuggestion, which derives from comments by Martin Gardner and
The Amazing Randi about Uri Geller, is that a better set of skeptical
observers would be illusionists (stage magicians).  They know lots about
how to fool observers, and hence about how to detect trickery.  Scientists
may be trained to make close observations of nature, but they don't
normally work under the assumption that there's a deception to be detected.

       Inventor:  As you can plainly see, only one wire connects A and B...
       Scientist:  Let's see...  Okay...
       Illusionist:  How about this little compartment in back?
       Inventor: Don't mess with that!  That's just, ummm...

--

            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago
               ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mmar

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (10/24/85)

<<<<
<  The machine which I saw operate today used several lantern batteries
< for a power source... connected to the machine's ouput leads were a neon
< sign and about 12 florescent tubes (each 5 feet long).  When Newman threw
< the switch, the lights and sign started to blink on and off... the only
< movement seen in the machine itself was a spark every tenth of a second or
< so.  Obvisouly, 12 florscent tubes cannor be powered by a few lantern
< batteries, and there was NO trickery to be seen... it seems that the machine
< was actually putting out more energy than it was taking in...
<

For your information a standard Duracell lantern battery ( 2.5"X2.5"X4.2")
will put out 6 volts at 20 amp * Hours. Several of them can put on an
impressive demo as long as his device has a low enough power loss.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (10/25/85)

>It seems to me that in the interest of *real* scientific objectivity that
>anyone who claims it to be a hoax should be able to back that claim up with
>scientific evidence. It seems reasonable that Mr Newman want the protection
>of a patent before subjecting his invention to detailed public scrutiny.

The patent issue is a smokescreen.  Sorry, but patenting is disclosure, and
it is doubtful that he would lose any standing on his device (which has been
filed) if he disclosed it without the patent being issued.  The truth is
that he is avoiding letting people know how his machine really works.

Sorry, but I don't believe snakes who insist on invoking magic behind
closed doors.

-Ron

timothym@tekigm.UUCP (Timothy D Margeson) (10/25/85)

Hi,

The subject of open mindedness.................................................

On the other hand.....

Patent law says that if an engineering notebook contains timely documentation
of events leading up to discovery of patentable ideas, said notebook WILL be
acceptable evidence for the courts should another party apply for and receive
a patent prior to the original designer, and all patent rights will be turned
over to him/her.

If Mr. Newman has been diligent in his work, he should have a notebook, and
is already protected by patent law.

I would love to hear that he has indeed invented something to rock the present
technological community off their (insert something appropriate), but alas, I
too fall into that catagory with most of the others on the net - cautious.

Thanks for your attention and time,

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
tektronix!tekigm!timothym                   @@   'Who said that?'

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (10/25/85)

In article <71@oce-rd2.UUCP> hmd@oce-rd2.UUCP (Hubert van Dongen) writes:
>Did anyone happen to measure both voltage and size of both ingoing and
>outcoming currents?
>
>As most people will know P=V*I (power is voltage times current), sothat
>this would be the most elementary test one can imagine to test this
>perpetuum mobile.
>

>	Hubert van Dongen
>	Oce-Nederland B.V.
>	{seismo,decvax,ucbvax,philabs}mcvax!oce-rd1!hmd

Wow!  All the E.E.'s on the net and no one has figured this one out?
I guess that E.E.'s aren't, in general, very familiar with AC
electric motors (I know, old technology).

As a matter of fact, Mr. van Dongen has stated precisely the method
Newman uses to ``prove'' his machine's capabilities.  Newman uses
electrical voltage and current meters on his machine's input and
output as a ``scientific'' measure of the ``power'' produced.

Well, the above formula is quite correct for DC or for AC when there
is no reactance in the circuit.  But in a reactive circuit there is
something called ``power factor'', such that the correct formula is
P=V*I/pf, where pf >= 1.  As a simple example, consider an AC current
driving into a capacitor.  You'll be able to measure both current and
voltage in the curcuit, but assuming an ideal capacitor you'll find
that NO POWER WHATEVER is being consumed.  What the capacitor takes
from the power source while the voltage potential is increasing, it
gives back on the next quarter-cycle when the voltage is decreasing.
Current flows (in both directions!), but the power factor is infinite.

Many AC electric motors, especially when lightly loaded, behave in
exactly the same way.  They can have a power factor of more than 10,
such that a simple measure of voltage and current in the circuit can
yield ``power'' measures of more than ten times what the current
source is actually producing.  The motor is performing energy-storage
just like the capacitor, acting as a generator for part of the AC
cycle.

What Joseph Newman's machine probably is is really nothing more than
an unloaded electric motor, driven by a DC-to-AC converter.  He
measures the (DC!) voltage and current feeding the device from the
batteries, calculates a (true) power input, then measures the (AC!)
output, neglecting the power factor and thus coming up with a much
larger (false) number.  Connecting resistive loads across his device
will lower the power factor, but never eliminate it.  Fluorescent or
neon tubes will light on a small fraction of their rated power (though
not at full brilliance), and because of their nonlinear conductance
would have less of an effect on the power factor than incandescent
bulbs.  They *look* impressive, but they derive their power solely
from the batteries--as does his ``machine''.

[The above information was gathered in part from an article in ``The
Laser'', newsletter of the Southern California Skeptics, who actually
sent an electrical engineer to observe the device after they were
contacted by a group of investors about to invest several million
dollars to its development.  Newman kept the engineer from observing
the device too closely when he discovered who he was, but since the
apparatus was pretty simple--batteries, a ``box'', and the
``machine''--the engineer was able to deduce the above explanation.
The investors saved their money.  BTW, Southern California Skeptics
(SCS) is the regional chapter of The Committee for Scientific
Investigation Of the Paranormal (CSIOP).]

Note that Newman may well be completely sincere, misguided solely
by his ignorance of AC electricity.

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

>      Today, I had the oppurnity to attend the first public showing of the
> Energy Machine of Joseph Newman.  ...
>      The machine which I saw operate today used several lantern batteries
> for a power source... connected to the machine's ouput leads were a neon
> sign and about 12 florescent tubes (each 5 feet long).  When Newman threw
> the switch, the lights and sign started to blink on and off... the only
> movement seen in the machine itself was a spark every tenth of a second or
> so.  Obvisouly, 12 florscent tubes cannor be powered by a few lantern
> batteries, and there was NO trickery to be seen...

	I have been aware of Mr. Newman's `energy machine' for quite some time,
and am admittedly skeptical of his claims (speaking as an engineer).  I must
admit, though, that I have not seen the machine nor do I have enough technical
information on it in my possession to give it a proper evaluation.
	HOWEVER, the possibility of fraud cannot be discounted, since some
really spectacular frauds have been perpetrated in the past for alleged energy
saving devices.
	The fact is that several lantern batteries are INDEED CAPABLE of
powering 12 fluorescent tubes.  Consider the following:  Let's use four as the
number of lantern batteries (you said several, so four seems reasonable).
Assuming they were an Everyready P/N 731 6 volt lantern battery, these batteries
have an approximate energy capacity of 10 ampere-hours to a 4.0 volt discharge.
4 batteries X 6 volts X 10 ampere-hours = 240 watt-hours of energy.  A small
neon sign can easily run on 25 watts (5 KV x .005 A).  A Sylvania fluorescent
tube 4 feet long, P/N F40SSP32/CW/RS requires only 32 watts of energy for FULL
rated output.  32 watts X 12 lamps = 384 watts.
	25 watts + 384 watts = 409 watts, which is quite capable of being
supplied by four lantern batteries for say, 1/2 hour.  For the moment I am
ignoring energy conversion loss for any static inverter, since the above
power consumption for the lamps is RMS anyhow.
	HOWEVER, the human eye is not a very accurate radiometer, so the lamps
could well be running at LESS than full intensity, with no one being the wiser.
Obviously this would increase battery life, especially if high-frequency
excitation were being used for the lamps instead of conventional ballasts.
	The use of fluorescent lamps instead of incandescent sets off alarm
bells in my mind, since fudging the energy consumption of incandescent lamps
is not readily possible.
	Please bear in mind that I am NOT accusing Mr. Newman of tryng to
perpetrate a fraud.  I am only suggesting that people have an open mind.

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185		 {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {AT&T 3510D}	           syr!buf!/               ===
===  TELEX   69-71461 ansbak: ELGECOMCLR {via WUI} ihnp4!/                 ===
===									   ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"		           ===

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (10/26/85)

>        Inventor:  As you can plainly see, only one wire connects A and B...
>        Scientist:  Let's see...  Okay...
>        Illusionist:  How about this little compartment in back?
>        Inventor: Don't mess with that!  That's just, ummm...

The term here is Pnambic.  Pnambic [From Pay No Attention to the Man
Behind the Curtain (Wizard of Oz trivia)]

-Ron

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (10/28/85)

In article <288@steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.UUCP (Davidsen) writes:
>The only thing which makes this interesting to me is the fact that (a) he
>isn't trying to get any money out of it (yet)

Newman is now advertising the book about his machine in the classified
ads in the back of Science '85.  $38.45 per copy.  Looks like he's now
trying to make some money from it.

His ad claims that the book "completely discloses the nature and
construction" of the machine.  If, indeed, the "nature and
construction" of the machine is now completely disclosed, Newman has no
further excuse for not letting competent people examine his machine to
determine whether it (a) works and (b) can be patented.
--
David Canzi		"Permission is not freedom."

cej@ll1.UUCP (One of the Jones Boys) (10/28/85)

> Scientists may be trained to make close observations of nature,
> but they don't normally work under the assumption that there's a
> deception to be detected.
>
>    Inventor:  As you can plainly see, only one wire connects A and B...
>    Scientist:  Let's see...  Okay...
>    Illusionist:  How about this little compartment in back?
>    Inventor: Don't mess with that!  That's just, ummm...
>
>             -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago

	As a side note, when Geller appeared on the Carson Show
(...we all know Carson was a magician) none of his tricks worked.
Seems Carson kept a close eye one him and his equipment, looking for
just that deception.  Rather than risk being exposed, he failed to
perform.
--

	  'Just carrying coals to Newcastle.

...ihnp4!mgnetp!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

titley@btnix.UUCP (Nigel Titley) (10/28/85)

>  The machine which I saw operate today used several lantern batteries
> for a power source... connected to the machine's ouput leads were a neon
> sign and about 12 florescent tubes (each 5 feet long).  When Newman threw
> the switch, the lights and sign started to blink on and off... the only
> movement seen in the machine itself was a spark every tenth of a second or
> so.  Obvisouly, 12 florscent tubes cannor be powered by a few lantern
> batteries, and there was NO trickery to be seen... it seems that the machine
> was actually putting out more energy than it was taking in... the energy

Actually, it is quite feasable for a few (sic) lantern batteries to power
12 fluorescent tubes for a short while (up to 1/4 an hour I would estimate).
All that is required is a simple inverter, and some credulity on the part
of the observer. The real test, as has been pointed out, is if VI(in) < VI(out).

What furthur points to fraud is that the lights were made to flash, hence
allowing the lantern batteries to depolarize and allowing higher currents
to be drawn for short periods.

Nigel Titley (British Telecom @ Ipswich)

UUCP: ..!ukc!btnix!titley
"Reason is out to lunch"

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (10/30/85)

In article <1453@teddy.UUCP> rdp@teddy.UUCP (Richard D. Pierce) writes:
>In article <387@aum.UUCP> freed@aum.UUCP (Erik Freed) writes:
>>It seems to me that in the interest of *real* scientific objectivity that
>>anyone who claims it to be a hoax should be able to back that claim up with
>>scientific evidence.

Scientific objectivity doesn't require that people have no opinion.  An
opinion (hypothesis) can't change experimental results.  Scientific
objectivity requires a willingness to throw away or modify an opinion
(hypothesis) when experimental evidence conflicts with it.

>>                     It seems reasonable that Mr Newman want the protection
>>of a patent before subjecting his invention to detailed public scrutiny.

Mr Newman has applied for a patent, so he already has invited public
scrutiny.  Many people are curious why he hasn't allowed it in more
detail.

PUBLICATION OF IDEAS DOES NOT AFFECT A PATENT APPLICATION, unless the
publication is done more than a year before the patent is applied for.

PUBLIC SCRUTINY IS REQUIRED FOR PATENTS.  After a patent is issued, it is
published.  There are no secrets in a patent.

Mr Newman must be aware of both the above.  I learned them after a couple
of hours reading.  From a book in my school library.  In seventh grade.

Mr. Newman has already applied for his patent(s), so he could have
printed construction drawings in his book.  Independent construction of
a working generator would rule out hidden mechanisms.  I'll be convinced
when two major establishments have their own machines working.

>>I am kind of ashamed of the lack of *open-minded* scientific curiosity dis-
>>played on this net over a fairly interesting phenomona. *WHETHER OR NOT* it
>>is a hoax. Flames on everyone!

Magical apparatus is also fairly interesting, but should be presented as such.
If you want scientific curiosity, post construction instructions in
net.research and help people to make motors work.

Oh, if you find out it is a hoax make sure to let us know.
We'll be interested.

--

Scot E. Wilcoxon	Minn. Ed. Comp. Corp.      circadia!mecc!sewilco
45 03 N / 93 15 W	(612)481-3507 {ihnp4,uwvax}!dicomed!mecc!sewilco

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (11/01/85)

> > Scientists may be trained to make close observations of nature,
> > but they don't normally work under the assumption that there's a
> > deception to be detected.

Hmmm ..  .  Particle physicists may want  to hear about this.

             You don't suppose the BIG GUY is deceiving us???

                       Twinkle twinkle little. ...

       -   -   NOTE: MAIL PATH MAY DIFFER FROM HEADER  -   -
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075              | FUSION |
| Prometheus II Ltd., College Park, MD 20740-0222       |  this  |
|  ..umcp-cs!seismo!prometheus!pmk.UUCP                 | decade |
+-------------------------------------------------------+--------+

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (11/14/85)

According to US Patent Law, one cannot patent an idea.  One
must reduce the idea to practice, by building some prototype
which successfully employs the novel idea to perform its function.
If a proposed machine seemingly violates the laws of physics
(e.g. conservation of energy), the reduction to practice requirement
will resolve the question.  There were many clever schemes for
perpetual motion machines, which looked intriguing on paper, but
failed to operate as their inventors expected.  In most cases, the
flaw in the inventor's logic was subtle, and required a non-trivial
understanding of physics to uncover.  A few authors have compiled
some entertaining and informative reviews of such failed inventions.