[net.misc] New

mickey@proper.UUCP (Michael Thompson) (05/07/84)

.
IBM Data Processing Division
Programming Announcement
April 1, 1984

New Operating System

"Because so many users have asked for an operating system of even greater
capability than VM, IBM announces the Virtual Universe Operating System -
OS/VU.

"Running under OS/VU, the individual user appears to have not merely a machine
of his own, but an entire universe of his own, in which he can set up and take
down his own programs, data sets, system networks, personel, and planetary
systems.  He need only specify the universe he desires, and the OS/VU system
generation program (IEHGOD) does the rest.  This program will reside in
SYS1.GODLIB.  The minimum time for this function is 6 days of activity and 1
day of review.  In conjunction with OS/VU, all system utilities have been
replaced by one program (IEHPROPHET) which will reside in SYS1.MESSIAH.  This
program has no parameters or control cards as it knows what you want it to
do when it is executed.

"Naturally, the user must have attained a certain degree of sophistocation
in the data processing field if an efficient utilization of OS/VU is to
be achieved.  Frequent calls to nonresident galaxies, for instance, can lead
to unexpected delays in the execution of a job.  Although IBM, through its
wholly-owned subsidiary, The United States, is working on a program to
upgrade the speed of light and thus reduce the overhead of extraterrestrial
and meta-dimensional paging; users must be careful for the present to stay
within the laws of physics.  IBM must charge an additional fee for
violations.

"OS/VU will run on any IBM x0xx equipped with Extended Warp feature.  Rental
is twenty million dollars per CPU/nanosecond.

"Users should be aware that IBM plans to migrate all existing systems and
hardware to OS/VU as soon as our engineers effect one output that is
(conceptually) error free.  This will give us a case to develop an even
more powerful operating system, target date 2001, designated 'Virtual Reality'.
OS/VR is planned to enable the users to migrate to totally unreal universes.
To aid the user in identifying the difference between 'Virtual Reality'
and 'Real Reality', a file containing a linear arrangement of multisensory
total records of successive moments of now will be established.  It's name
will be SYS1.EST."

				<Not sure who is original author>

				Michael Thompson

mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Browne) (10/22/85)

I would like to suggest the creation of a new newsgroup -- net.bizarre.
This newsgroup would be used to discuss strange food, strange street signs,
strange animals (and animal simulations), large prime numbers, Jenny the
operator at Time-Life books, and other "strange postings and reports of odd
occurrences".

I apologize for cross-posting to net.flame and net.misc, but it is clear
that the people who would be most interested in net.bizarre don't read
net.news.group.  If they did, net.bizarre wouldn't have been deleted in the
first place.
--
UUCP: ..!seismo!k.cs.cmu.edu!mcb		ARPA: mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

acw@sigvme.UUCP (Art Willis) (10/26/85)

Subject: Re: New (?) Newsgroup Request - net.bizarre
Newsgroups: net.news.group,net.flame,net.misc

In article <615@k.cs.cmu.edu>, mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Browne) writes:
> I would like to suggest the creation of a new newsgroup -- net.bizarre.
> This newsgroup would be used to discuss strange food, strange street signs,
> strange animals (and animal simulations), large prime numbers, Jenny the
> operator at Time-Life books, and other "strange postings and reports of odd
> occurrences".

I also vote for the creation of such a news group.  Since, however,
"The net cops" seem to require a demonstrated volume of postings as
part of the creation requirements, I propose that we conduct our
discussions in net.misc (since, by their very nature, the discussions
tend to be very misc.) until such time as we achieve the required
critical mass.

	Art Willis
	philabs!prls!sigvme!acw  or
	ucbvax!amdcad!sigvme!acw

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (10/28/85)

One more vote to create this "new" group...

If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) (11/18/85)

Expires:12/1/85

>> I would like to suggest the creation of a new newsgroup -- net.bizarre.
>>
>I also vote for the creation of such a news group.  Since, however,
>discussions in net.misc (since, by their very nature, the discussions
>critical mass.

It must be a new form of PERPETUAL MOTION machine!
DO they have street names in Tallahasee??
				-rich