[tor.general] What's "DCIEM"?

clarke@utcsri.UUCP (10/07/87)

This is a stupid question I should know the answer to, but I can't find it
anywhere:  What is "DCIEM" (whose employees regularly post informatively to
the net) and what's a good phone number to call there to find someone?

Occasion for the query:  Marcel Richter from the University of Minnesota
phoned me, asking the questions above, because he wants to get in touch
with someone at DCIEM.  I didn't have the brain power to ask who he wanted
to talk to (this has been a good day), but I did get his Arpanet address:

	richter@mec.econ.umn.edu

If you answer him directly, please also answer to me, because I promised
to send him a reply.  If I can't be smart, I can at least do what I promised.
--

Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

> ... What is "DCIEM" ...
> and what's a good phone number to call there to find someone?

Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine.  They work on things
like arctic clothing and spacesickness, to cite two examples I know of.
They can be reached at 635-2000.
--
"Mir" means "peace", as in           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"the war is over; we've won".        | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (10/13/87)

In article <5502@utcsri.UUCP> clarke@utcsri.UUCP writes:
>This is a stupid question I should know the answer to, but I can't find it
>anywhere:  What is "DCIEM" (whose employees regularly post informatively to
>the net) and what's a good phone number to call there to find someone?

DCIEM stands for 'Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine',
a research establishment of the Department of National Defence. The main
switchboard number is (416) 635-2000. We are located on the Downsview
airbase (CFB Toronto).

--
 * Defence & Civil Institute *		...!utzoo!dciem!king
 * of Environmental Medicine *		Stephen J King