[tor.general] Someone wants your blood

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (01/27/88)

"The other day I received a letter that said, 'Darling, I
 love you and cannot live without you.  Marry me or I will
 kill myself.'  Well, I was a little disturbed at this until
 I took another look at the envelope and saw it was addressed
 to 'Occupant'."
	-- Tom Lehrer

This message is addressed to you *personally*, even though
you think you're reading netnews.

The Red Cross blood donor clinics constantly need blood.  We
hear about it when there's a shortage and hospitals have to
start cancelling elective surgery (as happened the other day),
but the need is constant.  If you're healthy, >17 and <65, you
can give every three months.

They call it "the gift of life".  Even though I'm very busy, and
even though I can value the cost to me of taking an hour off from
working for clients, I make time to give blood regularly.
You should too.  The process takes under an hour, is completely
safe, and almost painless.  (I've given 31 times.)

No, I don't like having a needle in my arm either.  But if I
or my family ever need a blood transfusion, I want to know that
it'll be there for us.  And it won't if people don't give.

There are permanent blood donor clinics at the ManuLife Centre
(Bay & Bloor) and the Royal Bank Plaza (Bay & Wellington).

I'd like to make this a co-operative contest.  If this posting
prompts you to give blood, let me know.  (If it prompts you to
at least consider it, let me know too.)  Let's get 30 donations
from Toronto-area netters and make a difference!

David Sherman
947-3466

(P.S. and don't give me that crap about being scared of needles
or scared of the sight of blood. You think I look at it??)
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave

larry@hcr.UUCP (Larry Philps) (02/01/88)

In article <1988Jan26.120535.2949@lsuc.uucp> dave@lsuc.UUCP writes:
>They call it "the gift of life".  Even though I'm very busy, and
>even though I can value the cost to me of taking an hour off from
>working for clients, I make time to give blood regularly.
>You should too.  The process takes under an hour, is completely
>safe, and almost painless.  (I've given 31 times.)
>
>No, I don't like having a needle in my arm either.  But if I
>or my family ever need a blood transfusion, I want to know that
>it'll be there for us.  And it won't if people don't give.

I totally agree!  When I was 17 I was involved in a very serious
accident and received 18 (Yes that is 18!) tranfusions over a period of
3 weeks.  Without that I would have been DEAD!  No question about it.
Since then I have, like Dave, taken 1 hour every 3 months to give
blood.  I have given 29 times so far and will be going again next
week.

It only hurts a little, it takes less than an hour, and it saves lives.

					Think about it.

---
Larry Philps                             HCR Corporation
130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor           Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
(416) 922-1937                           {utzoo,utcsri,decvax,ihnp4}!hcr!larry

gerry@geac.UUCP (Gerry Singleton) (02/02/88)

In article <3084@hcr.UUCP> larry@hcr.UUCP (Larry Philps) writes:
 | In article <1988Jan26.120535.2949@lsuc.uucp> dave@lsuc.UUCP writes:
 | >They call it "the gift of life".  Even though I'm very busy, and
 | >even though I can value the cost to me of taking an hour off from
 | >working for clients, I make time to give blood regularly.
 | >You should too.  The process takes under an hour, is completely
 | >safe, and almost painless.  (I've given 31 times.)
 | >
 | >No, I don't like having a needle in my arm either.  But if I
 | >or my family ever need a blood transfusion, I want to know that
 | >it'll be there for us.  And it won't if people don't give.
 |
 | I totally agree!  When I was 17 I was involved in a very serious
 | accident and received 18 (Yes that is 18!) tranfusions over a period of
 | 3 weeks.  Without that I would have been DEAD!  No question about it.
 | Since then I have, like Dave, taken 1 hour every 3 months to give
 | blood.  I have given 29 times so far and will be going again next
 | week.
 |
 | It only hurts a little, it takes less than an hour, and it saves lives.
 |
 | 					Think about it.
 |
 | ---
 | Larry Philps                            HCR Corporation
 | 130 Bloor St. West, 10th floor          Toronto, Ontario.  M5S 1N5
 | (416) 922-1937                          {utzoo,utcsri,decvax,ihnp4}!hcr!larry

Gosh guys you've hit a nerve.  I used to give regularly but now I'm on
medication that's on the Red Cross' verboten list and they won't let me.

What can I, and others in the same boat, do to further the cause?
Especially to fit the contribution into a busy work schedule.

So far all I've discovered is performing attendant duties at a clinic, you
know giving juice, escorting donars to the sitting area, et cetera.  Neat but
they need you for more than an hour.

I've also discovered money. The Red Cross uses this to keep the clinics
open and other things.  This is my current method of assistance.  I look
upon it as getting blood from a stone.  Sorta the same thing, eh?

Like Larry, I've personal experience with large blood transfusions.  One
of my children needed lots during surgery (non-elective).  Thank God
the blood was there when needed.
--
G. Roderick Singleton              |  "ALL animals are created equal,
   <gerry@syntron.uucp>,           |   BUT some animals are MORE

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (02/02/88)

In article <2195@geac.UUCP> gerry@geac.UUCP (Gerry Singleton) writes:
>What can I, and others in the same boat, do to further the cause?
>Especially to fit the contribution into a busy work schedule.

Pester your coworkers and net-contacts to give. C'mon people.
My last posting only prompted the following donors (some of whom
give regularly anyway):

	John Hogg <hogg@db.toronto.edu>
	Jean-Francois Lamy <lamy@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu>
	William J. Rucklidge <wjr@unicus.com>
	john@geac.UUCP (John Henshaw)
	Glenn Mackintosh <glenn@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu>
Plus 2 who cannot give for medical reasons, and
	Harald Koch <chk@unicus.com> [gives blood anyway, not due yet]

Score:		U of T - 3
		Everyone else - 3 (including me, I gave again)

Does tor.general really have only 10 readers??

David Sherman
--
{ uunet!mnetor  pyramid!utai  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave