[tor.general] 2400 Baud modems

brian@radio.toronto.edu (Brian Glendenning) (03/17/88)

We'll be looking to buy a couple of 2400 baud modems in the next week or two.
They should be Hayes compatible, but I suspect that's nearly every modem these
days.

One of the modems will be used for dial in to our Sun, the other will be for
home use, although it too may revert to dial-in use in the future (if I ever
graduate :-)

My baseline is $339 for a 2400 baud GVC from Computronix on Queen St. I know
several people with 1200 baud GVC's and they are all happy with them, and this
seems to be a reasonable price.

So, I'd be interested in any other recommendations, and any specific comments
about the GVC. Thanks.

--
Brian Glendenning                INTERNET - brian@radio.toronto.edu
Radio Astronomy, U. Toronto          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!radio!brian

yann@ai.toronto.edu (Yann le Cun) (03/19/88)

In article <1041@radio.toronto.edu> brian@radio.toronto.edu (Brian Glendenning) writes:

>We'll be looking to buy a couple of 2400 baud modems in the next week or two.
>They should be Hayes compatible, but I suspect that's nearly every modem these
>days.
>
>My baseline is $339 for a 2400 baud GVC from Computronix on Queen St. I know
>several people with 1200 baud GVC's and they are all happy with them, and this
>seems to be a reasonable price.
>
>So, I'd be interested in any other recommendations, and any specific comments
>about the GVC. Thanks.

I have a GVC 2400 baud. It has been working perfectly for 5 months now.
There is an other el cheapo 2400b modem on the market, the name is
Supra. I have seen ads for it at 229 US$.
I think it is available in Canada, i remember seeing ads in Toronto Compute.

>Brian Glendenning                INTERNET - brian@radio.toronto.edu
>Radio Astronomy, U. Toronto          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!radio!brian
>+1 (416) 978-5558                  BITNET - glendenn@utorphys.bitnet

Yann le Cun                            yann@ai.toronto.edu, yann@ai.toronto.cdn
AI Group, Dept of Computer Science     yann%ai.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4  {uunet,watmath}!ai.toronto.edu!yann

hugh@dgp.toronto.edu ("D. Hugh Redelmeier") (03/19/88)

In article <88Mar18.175012est.26989@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> yann@ai.toronto.edu (Yann le Cun) writes:
>There is an other el cheapo 2400b modem on the market, the name is
>Supra. I have seen ads for it at 229 US$.
>I think it is available in Canada, i remember seeing ads in Toronto Compute.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago.  I paid $220 (Canadian) at a
computer show, but the best generally available price seems to be
about $250 (for example, I think Compuplace (my favourite Atari
dealer) sells it for that).

I am using it as the modem line on my Sun, supporting dial-in and
dial-out.  It seems to work fine.  Here are the only negatives:

- The command &D3 tells the modem how to react to the DTR line:
  "Modem initializes upon on-to-off transition of DTR".  This is what
  I want it to do, but I would expect it to drop the phone line while
  it is at it; it doesn't.  I have to use &D2 which says: "modem
  hangs up, disables autoanswer, and goes to command state upon
  on-to-off transition of DTR".  This does not reset the modem.  Does
  anyone know what a Hayes 2400 or others do with &D3?

- One radio seems to pick up RFI from the modem (and from my Sun).
  Other radios, even when put in the same position, don't seem to.

- The power supply is not CSA approved.  The retailer gave me a CSA
  approved power supply when I purchased it, but it was the wrong
  kind (DC, not AC).  It will be replaced soon.

- Although the modem box has the mandatory Hayes-compatible styling,
  it is much smaller.  Unfortunately, it is too small to hold my
  NE-500 handset (the most ordinary kind of phone) :-)

Supra is a peripheral manufacturer for Atari computers.  They have
made Atari-specific modems for years.  This modem is a generic
external modem.  I don't know the track record for this modem: I
first heard of it from Electronic Playworld's Boxing Day sale ($250).
There are several distributers.

phb@dmnhack.UUCP (Paul Breslin) (03/21/88)

From article <1041@radio.toronto.edu>, by brian@radio.toronto.edu (Brian Glendenning):
> We'll be looking to buy a couple of 2400 baud modems in the next week or two.
> So, I'd be interested in any other recommendations, and any specific comments
> about the GVC. Thanks.

Check out Canada Remote Systems. (I don't have their number on hand).
They usually have some pretty good prices on some models.

dudek@csri.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) (03/22/88)

I have a 1200 baud GVC & it tends to overheat after about 45 min. on warm
days.  I have "fixed"  the problem by removing the case, but it doesn't
look quite as slick that way.
  Greg Dudek

flaps@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) (03/22/88)

dudek@csri.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) writes:
>I have a 1200 baud GVC & it tends to overheat after about 45 min. on
>warm days.

I too have a 1200 baud GVC.  I've experienced overheating problems,
although not that quickly.  However, I wanted to point out that this
only applies when the modem is off-hook.  If the modem is not being
actually used but is just switched on, it doesn't heat up.  This may be
important if you want to be able to leave it on to receive calls.

ajr
--
If you had eternal life, would you be able to say all the integers?