[tor.general] St. Francis Table

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (10/26/88)

St. Francis table is a "resturant" in the Parkdale area of Toronto
that serves meals for $1.00 to the areas needy, not only the homeless
and those on social assistance but also a largely ignored group, the
working poor.

St. Francis Table is operated by two friars, they recieve no money
from the government or the Catholic Church or the United Way. The
current facility is at it's maximum capacity serving supper to around
150 people (in three sittings, the resturant seats 48). The $1.00 is
used to buy food, pay the rent and the hydro bills. Some food is donated by
individuals and small food service companies. One of the large soft
drink companies has donated a refrigerator to allow expansion of the
kitchen's storage capacity but they have no room for it or electrical
capacity.

They are trying now to raise funds to expand their facility (or move
to a larger one) and have arranged a benefit dinner for this purpose,
however in the face of the current United Way blitz have not been able
to get much attention for it. This dinner will be of particular interest
to sports fans as there will be a number of sports celebs (members of the
Argos, Jays, Leafs and more) and an auction of rare sports memorobilia.
At this point they have sold only 20 tickets for this event which takes place
November 18 at a hotel in the Northern environs of Metro (I forget
which one) they require 50 to break even and have capacity for 300.

If you're interested in helping out this effort tickets are $40 each
and are available at all Ticketron outlets.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!attcan!lsuc!ncrcan!ontenv!soley	VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

goldste@hub.toronto.edu (Jack Goldstein) (10/26/88)

In article <898@ontenv.UUCP> soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>St. Francis table is a "resturant" in the Parkdale area of Toronto
>that serves meals for $1.00 to the areas needy, not only the homeless
>and those on social assistance but also a largely ignored group, the
>working poor.
>
>St. Francis Table is operated by two friars, they recieve no money
>from the government or the Catholic Church or the United Way. The

You don't mention something that I consider to be very important.  Is
this a registered charity?

Jack Goldstein
University of Toronto -- Toronto, Canada

UUCP:	{decvax,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsri!uthub!goldste
ARPA:	goldste%hub.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	goldste@hub.toronto.edu
CDNNET:	goldste@hub.toronto.cdn
BITNET:	goldste@hub.utoronto (may not work from all sites)