[net.misc] Need to find that force redirecting material! Help!

dxm@lanl.ARPA (11/29/85)

This doesn't really belong in net.physics, but this is where I am likely
to find help, so no flames please.

Someone posted an article a while back about a material that evidently
redirected an impact 90 degrees from its original direction through the
material.  The demonstration they claimed to have seen was a man's hand on
a table, covered with a thin sheet of the stuff, then hit with a large
hammer.  The man sustained no damage.

I am *very* interested in finding out more about this material; if anyone
can give me a lead on more information I'll be eternally grateful.
The name and address of the folk who developed it would be perfect.

Thanks in advance,
 Doug Miller                     dxm@lanl.arpa
                                 ....!ihnp4!lanl!dxm

moore@mit-eddie.UUCP (Andrew M. Moore) (12/01/85)

   I bet it was Zorbothane.  I think that's what they call it.  I saw the stuff
demonstrated on TV a few years back.  Some guy put a raw egg between two
'sheets' of the stuff, took a sledge hammer and -- you guessed it.  No
harm on the egg's part.  Then he did it with his hand.

It's sort of like a rubber material I think.  I can't remember anything else
about it, apart from the fact that I think they used it comercially for
joggers who got sore feet from the pressure of their feet coming
down on the pavement -- put a sliver of Z-Thane inside the sneaker and
no more sore feet.  Maybe someone else can confirm the name -- I am not
sure if that's how you spell it.

-drew
 zthane@large

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (12/02/85)

In article <597@mit-eddie.UUCP> moore@mit-eddie.UUCP (Andrew M. Moore) writes:
>   I bet it was Zorbothane.  I think that's what they call it.  I saw the stuff
>demonstrated on TV a few years back.  Some guy put a raw egg between two
>'sheets' of the stuff, took a sledge hammer and -- you guessed it.  No
>harm on the egg's part.  Then he did it with his hand.

Maybe, maybe not.  I have a sheet of bona fide Sorbothane and it does not
have those properties.  Maybe it was something else.  Sorbothane is good
for lining your shoes though.

Sean
Sean Casey                             UUCP:  sean@ukma.UUCP   or
915 Patterson Office Tower                    {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
University of Kentucky                 ARPA:  ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA
Lexington, Ky. 40506-0027            BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

ljt@wuphys.UUCP (Lewis J. Thomas III) (12/02/85)

In article <597@mit-eddie.UUCP> moore@mit-eddie.UUCP (Andrew M. Moore) writes:

>   I bet it was Zorbothane.  I think that's what they call it.  I saw the stuff
>demonstrated on TV a few years back.  Some guy put a raw egg between two
>'sheets' of the stuff, took a sledge hammer and -- you guessed it.  No
>harm on the egg's part.  Then he did it with his hand.
>
>It's sort of like a rubber material I think.  I can't remember anything else
>about it, apart from the fact that I think they used it comercially for
>joggers who got sore feet from the pressure of their feet coming
>down on the pavement -- put a sliver of Z-Thane inside the sneaker and
>no more sore feet.  Maybe someone else can confirm the name -- I am not
>sure if that's how you spell it.
>
>-drew
> zthane@large

I would like to know how this stuff works, particularly regarding
conservation of momentum.
--
	"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

				ihnp4!wuphys!ljt

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (12/03/85)

>   I bet it was Zorbothane.  I think that's what they call it.  I saw the stuff
> demonstrated on TV a few years back.  Some guy put a raw egg between two
> 'sheets' of the stuff, took a sledge hammer and -- you guessed it.  No
> harm on the egg's part.  Then he did it with his hand.

The material is called Sorbothane.  It is used for various shock-absorbing
purposes, the most common (or at least the most visible) being pads for
shoes, especially for jogging, to absrob the shock of foot hitting
pavement.  I have also seen it used for turntable isolation.

If you want to get some to play with, buy some sole inserts--but don't go
betting an egg or your hand against a sledge (unless you have a LOT of it).
It's good, but it's not magic.

It doesn't redirect force so much as it deforms in an unusual way.  If you
whack the top of a piece of it, it transmits a lot of force downwards but
it also deforms outward a lot.  Imagine the local behavior of an element of
the stuff to be somewhat fluid-like in its transmission of the impact.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Reality?  Gad, that's worse than puberty!