[tor.general] Phantom subway station?

gordan@maccs.McMaster.CA (gordan) (11/24/88)

According to a story I heard the other day, there is supposedly a
phantom subway station in Toronto.

According to this story (which is thirdhand information, according to a
friend of a friend of a friend who was a friend of a TTC inspector),
there is a shiny new subway station somewhere below the city, with about
500 m of dead-end track leading from it.  The funding to complete it
supposedly ran out, but this station may yet someday come into service.

Any chance of this being true?

andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) (11/24/88)

I heard a story like that too.  I seem to recall that it was on the
Queen Street subway line and the station is at Queen and Yonge, below
the Queen Street station on the Yonge line.  Is this true?
--
Andy Toy, Department of Computing Services        andytoy@watdcsu.UWaterloo.CA
University of Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA           andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (11/24/88)

In article <1636@maccs.McMaster.CA> gordan@maccs.McMaster.CA (gordan) writes:

> According to a story I heard the other day, there is supposedly a
> phantom subway station in Toronto.

> According to this story (which is thirdhand information, according to a
> friend of a friend of a friend who was a friend of a TTC inspector),
> there is a shiny new subway station somewhere below the city, with about
> 500 m of dead-end track leading from it.  The funding to complete it
> supposedly ran out, but this station may yet someday come into service.

> Any chance of this being true?

The only "phantom" station that I'm aware of is an east-west platform
a level below the north-south platform at Queen and Yonge.  This was
apparently built in anticipation of an east-west subway running along
Queen Street.  Needs changed, and the line was never built.  However,
every time the much-discussed proposed "relief" line (northeast from
downtown, connecting to the Bloor-Danforth line at (I think) Donlands)
appears in the news, there is some talk about where this proposed line
should terminate (or connect with an existing line) in the downtown area.
Union seems to be the favourite candidate, but the old unused portion of
the Queen station is often discussed as an alternative as well.

Mark Bartelt                          UUCP: {utzoo,decvax}!sickkids!mark
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto   BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto
416/598-6442                          INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (11/24/88)

In article <1636@maccs.McMaster.CA>, gordan@maccs.UUCP writes:
> According to a story I heard the other day, there is supposedly a
> phantom subway station in Toronto.
>
> According to this story (which is thirdhand information, according to a
> friend of a friend of a friend who was a friend of a TTC inspector),
> there is a shiny new subway station somewhere below the city, with about
> 500 m of dead-end track leading from it.  The funding to complete it
> supposedly ran out, but this station may yet someday come into service.
>
> Any chance of this being true?

Not entirely, when the Yonge subway was originally designed the
thought at that time was that the east-west subway would eventually
run accross Queen Street, of course as we know it ended up following
Bloor instead. When Queen station was built it got a second east-west
platform one level below the existing one, it is hardly shiny or new
the 'decor' is all poured concrete. Even if they were to decide to use
the station now (say for a downtown relief line) the costs to bring it
up to snuff would approach those of building an entirely new station
(mostly because the existing upper level of Queen Station would have
to be massively redesigned to handle the traffic)
--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!attcan!lsuc!ncrcan!ontenv!soley	VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

scott@attcan.UUCP (Scott MacQuarrie) (11/24/88)

In article <5309@watdcsu.waterloo.edu>, andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) writes:
> I heard a story like that too.  I seem to recall that it was on the
> Queen Street subway line and the station is at Queen and Yonge, below
> the Queen Street station on the Yonge line.  Is this true?
> --

Hee Hee. The "Queen Street Subway". Not only do we have a phantom subway
station, we have an entire phantom subway line.

Actually, There is a Queen Street Subway. It's existance has been suppressed
for many years, as it is used for smuggling exotic New York grass. This grass
is known as "new york white" due to its unnatural white color and extreme
potency. It's grown in the abandoned sewers under New York City and thus
its white color from lack of sunlight.

Of course, something this valuable and this illegial has to be guarded at
all times and it is - by crocs raised
from survivors of the many poor reptiles who are flushed down the johns
of New York by ungratful owners. These creatures grow to gigantic lengths
and are known for a fanatical devotion to those who rescued them.

Scott MacQuarrie :-)
AT&T Canada Inc
uunet!attcan!scott

p.s. opinions are my own

jim@hcr.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) (11/24/88)

In article <1636@maccs.McMaster.CA> gordan@maccs.UUCP writes:
>According to a story I heard the other day, there is supposedly a
>phantom subway station in Toronto.
>
>According to this story (which is thirdhand information, according to a
>friend of a friend of a friend who was a friend of a TTC inspector),
>there is a shiny new subway station somewhere below the city, with about
>500 m of dead-end track leading from it.  The funding to complete it
>supposedly ran out, but this station may yet someday come into service.
>
>Any chance of this being true?

From what I understand, originally the hub station was to be Queen, not Bloor.
When they first built the subway, they built the tunnels/platforms, at Queen,
for this station.  Plans changed and Bloor became the hub station.  Note that
as part of the TRANSIT 2000 plan, there are plans to add a feeder line from
the Pape station into downtown.  If I'm not mistaken, this line would feed
into the Queen station, using the old original station!

jim sullivan

Information from newspapers, the Sunday Star Comics and general knowledge.
I could be wrong.

pavel@dgp.toronto.edu (Pavel Rozalski) (11/24/88)

There are a few interesting things about the Toronto Subway system.
The following information I have first hand. There is an entire subway
station built underneath Bay station. There are subway tracks which
lead from Museum station, to the underground Bay and up to Bloor line
and merge with the regular Bloor tracks shortly before Yonge Station:

                                       ^

-----     regular Bay       |
     \                      |Yonge
------*------*--------------*-------------------------
St.G  |   ---*-------/      |
      |  /  lower           |
      | /   Bay             |
      |/                    |
      * Museum              |
      |                     * Wellesley
      |                     |

There are escalator parts and big cables down there. The rails are
still used, I suspect primarily to get subways, rail grinders, etc.
from the Bloor line to the Yonge line and vice versa. The underground
station is lit up. If you go the regular Bay station, you may notice
that there are two colours of tiles, white and green. If you mentally
knock out the green tiles, you will see that there used to be stairs
and openings there, making Bay station virtually identical to St.
George.

I have heard rumours that there used to be tracks underneath Queen
Station that were perpendicular to the Yonge line. The tunnel has been
converted to an underground walkway between the North and Southbound
platforms.

Pavel Rozalski

CSNET:	pavel@dgp.toronto.edu   CDNNET: <...>.toronto.cdn
UUCP:	{decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsri!dgp!pavel
ARPA:	pavel%dgp.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
BITNET:	pavel@dgp.utoronto (may not work from all sites)

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (11/25/88)

In article <1636@maccs.McMaster.CA>, gordan@maccs.McMaster.CA (gordan) writes:
> According to a story I heard the other day, there is supposedly a
> phantom subway station in Toronto.
>
> According to this story (which is thirdhand information, [...]
> there is a shiny new subway station somewhere below the city, with about
> 500 m of dead-end track leading from it.  The funding to complete it
> supposedly ran out, but this station may yet someday come into service.
>
> Any chance of this being true?

Sort of, but I wouldn't call it 'a shiny new' station.

When they originally designed the University subway line (LONG before it was
extended north of St. George), the TTC developed a way for subways to travel
between the Yonge and Bloor lines.

The way it works, a train travelling north from Museum runs into a switch which
allows it to travel east OR west to the bloor line. Going west takes the train
to a second platform on St. George, and continues to join the Bloor line just
before the Spadina station.

Similarly, a train going east on the switch ends up on a second platform at the
BAY station. the track then meets the Bloor line before hitting Yonge.

The westbound switch to St. George is in constant use. Originally that was the
terminus for the Yonge-University line, but later got extended to Wilson.

It is that second platform at BAY that hasn't been in use in ages, though
trains pass through it often overnight to go from the Yonge line to the
Greenwood yards. If you look closely at the Bay station you'll notice a few
boarded-up stairways. They go to the phantom platform.

At one time in the 60's the TTC experimented with trains that travelled
Eglinton->Union->Bay->Warden and Eglinton->Union->St.George->Islington,
but the scheduling headaches proved too much. As computerized scheduling
systems come into play, perhaps they'll bring it back to use.

I had also heard that construction started on a second level of the Queen
station back when they were discussing running a line under Queen. But I
don't believe that was ever completed.

--
Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly                   "I am most concerned that
Located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario, Canada          nobody will remember me

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (11/25/88)

> there is a shiny new subway station somewhere below the city, with about
> 500 m of dead-end track leading from it.

Several followups have mentioned the half station under Queen station,
which has existed in its ghostly form since the line was opened in 1954.

(By the way, it's easy to see where this is: notice that the passages
to cross between north- and southbound tracks, when you enter the
station from the main entrance, pass BENEATH the tracks.  Obviously
the stairs to those passages were intended to be the NS/EW transfer
stairs as well.  The fact that there are two passages suggests that the
E-W station was going to have separate platforms for eastbound and west-
bound, but I don't know this for a fact.)

A point of interest not mentioned is that the E-W station was not originally
intended to take subway trains, but rather streetcars.  When the E-W subway
was being planned, one of the competing plans involved upgrading the station
and routing the trains in a pattern like "Bloor-Bathurst-Queen-Parliament-
Danforth".  (Sorry, I don't remember where I read this.  The information
I've seen about that period is somewhat contradictory and the route may not
be accurate.)  It was alleged that the straight Bloor-Danforth line won out
because it offered a quicker end-to-end time, even though few people do that;
however, a shorter route also meant less construction and fewer trains.

Anyway, the actual construction of the Bloor-Danforth line leads to the
*second* phantom station on the system.  Doesn't anyone remember 1966?

When the original section of the Bloor-Danforth line was opened, i.e,
from Keele to Woodbine station, it was possible to take a through train
between any two stations on the system.  Yonge trains leaving Eglinton
(then the terminus) ran south on Yonge and north on University as now,
then after Museum, alternate trains turned east and west on Bloor,
terminating at Keele and at Woodbine.  Trains leaving Keele ran to
St. George, then alternate trains proceeded straight east to Woodbine
or south on University and so north to Eglinton; and trains leaving
Woodbine ran to Bay, then alternate trains went straight west to Keele
or, again, south on University and so north to Eglinton.  It was the
possibility of doing this that led to the University line being built
in the first place (in 1963) -- the reason that Union station was
pointed west originally was not to get to University Avenue, but in
case a future line continued west from there.

(And by the way, it was as a temporary measure during construction of the
University subway that Richmond, Adelaide, Wellington, and York Streets
were converted to one-way traffic...)

The Bay/St.George/Museum Y-interchange actually reaches east to just before
Yonge(/Bloor) station, and west to just before Spadina station; you can see
the interchange switches from the platforms of those stations.  Both Bay
and St.George were built as 2-level stations.  The lower level of St.George
and the upper level of Bay handled the Keele-Woodbine trains; the upper
level of St.George took the Keele-Eglinton trains; and the lower level
of Bay took the Eglinton-Woodbine trains.

The Y-interchange was operated in regular service for 6 months.  There were
frequent backlogs of trains.  Partisans of the interchange alleged that the
system was being deliberately mis-operated; this I doubt, but I don't think
the TTC tried as hard as they might have to make it work well.  Instead
they decided to try operating the two lines separately, as they have been
worked ever since.  This meant that the lower level of Bay station was
redundant and it was closed.  For years the stairs were just boarded up
with painted plywood, but after the Spadina section was opened and
thus reopening the Y made no sense, tiled walls were finally put up.

(About 4 months after the Y was closed, the TTC conducted a poll.  About
20% of respondents favored keeping it closed, and 21% favored reopening it.
The TTC decided this was a close enough vote that they could ignore it.)

The tracks of the Y-interchange remain in place and operable to this day.
Until the Spadina section with its Wilson yard was opened, some of the
Yonge line trains used to use it to access the Bloor-Danforth line's yards
for parking.  Now I believe it only sees irregular use.

So there are two phantom stations, or half stations, on the TTC subway:
one at Queen, which was never finished and almost certainly does not have
tracks leading to it, and one at Bay, which was used for 6 months and
which is connected to the subway tracks.

Opening dates of segments of the subway, for those interested, were
as follows.  These are from memory, but should be completely accurate.

	1954	Eglinton-Union
	1963	Union-St.George
	1966	Keele-Woodbine
	1968	Islington-Keele, Woodbine-Warden
	1974	Sheppard-Eglinton
	1975	Finch-Sheppard
	1981	Wilson-St.George
	1982	Kipling-Islington, Kennedy-Warden
	1987	North York Centre (station added)

Mark Brader	"What can be more palpably absurd than the prospect held out
utzoo!sq!msb	 of locomotives travelling twice as fast as stagecoaches?"
msb@sq.com		 -- The Quarterly Review (England), March 1825

In article <5309@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> andytoy@watdcsu.UWaterloo.CA (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) writes:
>I heard a story like that too.  I seem to recall that it was on the
>Queen Street subway line and the station is at Queen and Yonge, below
>the Queen Street station on the Yonge line.  Is this true?

Queen station was definitely built to be a subway interchange, because
the original plan was to run the east-west subway line along Queen rather
than Bloor.  Plans changed when the TTC decided that the center of gravity
of downtown had shifted northward.

I'd be surprised if there was any significant amount of Queen tunnel, but
perhaps there is.
--
Sendmail is a bug,             |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
not a feature.                 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (11/25/88)

>According to a story I heard the other day, there is supposedly a
>phantom subway station in Toronto.
>
>According to this story (which is thirdhand information, according to a
>friend of a friend of a friend who was a friend of a TTC inspector),
>there is a shiny new subway station somewhere below the city, with about
>500 m of dead-end track leading from it.  The funding to complete it
>supposedly ran out, but this station may yet someday come into service.

There are "phantom" stations under Queen, Bay and Donlands.

As has been pointed out in other articles, an east-west platform was
roughed in at Queen in anticipation of an east-west line along Queen.
Remember that this was planned in the late 1940s and, well, things
change over time and so when it came to building an east-west line
Bloor-Danforth was a more sensible choice. Some trivia: The subway
platform of the Prince Edward Viaduct (the bridge across the Don Valley
which connects Bloor to the Danforth) was included when the viaduct
was built in 1916. The architects decided that Toronto would one day
get a subway and that it might pass over the Don Valley. Fifty years
later it did.

There is a complete station under Bay, similar to St. George. This
was the result of one of the great TTC planning debacles! A bit of
history: the University extension from Union to St. George opened
in 1963. When the Bloor line opened in 1966 the two lines were
fully integrated by the great Y interchange, Museum, St. George and
Bay (think about it, they form a Y shape). Yonge-University trains
would alternately run east and west along the Bloor line, and every
other Bloor train would run downtown. That way you could travel
anywhere in the system without ever having to change trains. The
drawback was that you might have to let one train go by, and you
might have to go around the "hump" ( as I call it) -- Union Station.
For the first 6 months the TTC tested this fully integrated system,
then for the next 6 months they tried a completely disconnected system
it see which worked best. Well, except for those first 6 months the
lower Bay station has not seen a soul other than TTC employees.
The University line cost $43 million (early 1960 dollars) and the Y
cost $14 million. The University line was so underused that for many
years it was shut down after 8pm. I'm convinced they built the Spadina
line just to retroactively justify the University line. Next time you
travel westbound along Bloor look out the front window of the train
as you leave Yonge. For a moment you will see the lights from the
lower Bay station. Similarly as you travel north from Museum, look
for the tunnel that leads off to Bay. Also between St. George and
Spadina look for where the tracks merge. Great fun.

Donlands has a roughed-in station in anticipation of a subway running
north up the Don Valley. The Network 2011 plan proposes this to be
one end of the great downtown relief line to Union Station. Grrr.
The TTC is run by a bunch of idiots, but I won't launch into my
usual flamefest...

Last year the City of Toronto Archives through their Market Gallery
(at the St. Lawrence Market) had a most interesting display on the
history of the TTC. Some of the plans for subways over the years
are positively hilarious. The aforementioned subway plation on the
Bloor viaduct came about because while the TTC held a monopoly for
for surface public transit, underground was a free-for-all, sooo...
somebody got the bright idea of putting streetcars underground.
It never got anywhere.

I encourage anyone interested in Toronto history to visit the Market
Gallery. The current display is on housing in Toronto.

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (11/25/88)

>	1974	Sheppard-Eglinton
>	1975	Finch-Sheppard
> 	1981	Wilson-St.George

Should read:

	1972    York Mills-Eglinton
	1974    Finch-York Mills
	1977    Wilson-St. George

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (11/25/88)

In article <8811250104.AA16480@esplanade.csri.toronto.edu>
hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:

> The TTC is run by a bunch of idiots, but I won't launch into my
> usual flamefest...

Granted, the TTC isn't perfect, but if the TTC is run by a bunch of
idiots, then most of North America's other transit systems must be
run by a bunch of anencephalics!

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (11/26/88)

>In article <8811250104.AA16480@esplanade.csri.toronto.edu>
>hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
>
>> The TTC is run by a bunch of idiots, but I won't launch into my
>> usual flamefest...
>
>Granted, the TTC isn't perfect, but if the TTC is run by a bunch of
>idiots, then most of North America's other transit systems must be
>run by a bunch of anencephalics!

FLAME ON...
Right on the money. I couldn't have put it better myself. NO North
American transit system is worthy of being called one. You must go
to Europe or Japan to see how a real transit system works.
FLAME OFF...
				john.

paul@moore.UUCP (Paul Maclauchlan) (11/26/88)

In article <1636@maccs.McMaster.CA>, gordan@maccs.McMaster.CA (gordan) writes:
> According to a story I heard the other day, there is supposedly a
> phantom subway station in Toronto.

The BAY station was supposed to have two levels and east or westbound
trains could switch to the Yonge-University line.

--
.../Paul Maclauchlan
Moore Corporation Limited, Toronto, Ontario (416) 364-2600

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (11/26/88)

Well, as John Hofbauer was kind enough to correct part of my posting,
I will add a bit of information to his.  (And also a further correction--
the Wilson-St.George opening date was in fact 1978.)

> The subway
> platform of the Prince Edward Viaduct (the bridge across the Don Valley
> which connects Bloor to the Danforth) was included when the viaduct
> was built in 1916. The architects decided that Toronto would one day
> get a subway and that it might pass over the Don Valley. Fifty years
> later it did.

Although that bridge is commonly referred to as the Prince Edward Viaduct,
it's actually only part of it.  There's a second bridge a bit west of there,
carrying Bloor St. across the Rosedale Ravine (just east of Parliament St.),
and most of the street in between is on embankment.  The P.E.V. really
refers to the whole project.  Now, in fact, *both* bridges were built with
provision for a subway, but only that under the longer bridge was actually
used.  Possibly because Bloor makes a sharp curve at Parliament, the
subway was routed farther north and a new bridge was built across the
Rosedale Ravine.  This is of course the concrete covered bridge between
Sherbourne and Castle Frank stations -- the roof having been added in
deference to the protests of the rich residents of Rosedale.

> The University line was so underused that for many
> years it was shut down after 8pm.

Actually 9:45 pm (it always struck me as a horribly un-round number)
and all day Sundays.  When it was closed, passengers entering the system
at St. George station had to walk along part of the unused N-S platform
to reach the operating E-W platform; and trains reversed at Union station
using only one of the two platforms there.  (The crossover that would
have allowed them to reverse using both platforms was, I've heard, taken
up when the University line was opened; because of the curve it had to
use a special piece of track called a "switch diamond", and this was
moved to St.George where the reversing crossover is also on a curve.)

> I'm convinced they built the Spadina
> line just to retroactively justify the University line.

Well, they certainly built it where they did because the University line
was where it was.

> Donlands has a roughed-in station in anticipation of a subway running
> north up the Don Valley.

Can you tell us more about this, such as how it is oriented?

Mark Brader					"Domine, defende nos
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto				 Contra hos motores bos!"
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com				    -- A. D. Godley

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (11/26/88)

In article <1636@maccs.McMaster.CA> gordan@maccs.McMaster.CA (gordan) writes:
>According to a story I heard the other day, there is supposedly a
>phantom subway station in Toronto.
>[...]
>Any chance of this being true?

Apparently so - in fact, there are two! One is beneath the Queen street
station at Yonge, and the other is below the Bay Street station on the Bloor
line.

Cheers,
--
Bruce Becker        Toronto, Ont.
Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, becker@ziebmef.UUCP

howard@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Howard Lem) (11/29/88)

In article <1988Nov25.233934.12136@sq.uucp> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:
> a lot of stuff deleted ...
>
>> Donlands has a roughed-in station in anticipation of a subway running
>> north up the Don Valley.
>
>Can you tell us more about this, such as how it is oriented?
  Mark I don't think there is a second platform under Donland's Station.
I don't recall any mysterious doors at the platform level.  The doors
at the platform level are storage closets for the cleaners.  I know that
there has some remodelling in recent years, but that was to accomandate
the street level for passenger transfers.

  I used to get off at that station to go to high school.  Just east of the
Donlands station, the eastbound track dips and there is a fork to the right
then rises to the greenwood yards.  West from Coxwell, the track
will fork to the left over the eastbound track to create a second 'Y'
interchange.  This track leads to the Greenwood yards.  What is possible
is that there may be a rough-in for a station off that fork.  Only the
operators may know for sure.  Has anybody asked a friendly driver/condutor.

  As you might know, There was talk of a queen st. subway line that would
run from the Dowtown Area east then curve north to/thru the greenwood yard
and connect with the Bloor-Danforth line.  (I know that is not a priority
item in the city's transit plans).

Of course, I have been wrong before :-).
--
      .signature follows!  use the n key if you don't want to see it :-)

<<<<<<<<<========= ALL Usual disclaimers go here :-) =========>>>>>>>>>
Canada Post:  Howard Lem - University of Toronto Computing Services
              11 King's College Rd., Room 107A
              Toronto, Ont., Canada,  M5S 1A1
Telephone: (416) - 978 - 4310 {work}
Email: howard@gpu.utcs.uucp

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (11/30/88)

> Just east of the
> Donlands station, the eastbound track dips and there is a fork to the right
> then rises to the greenwood yards.  West from Coxwell, the track
> will fork to the left over the eastbound track to create a second 'Y'
> interchange.  This track leads to the Greenwood yards.  What is possible
> is that there may be a rough-in for a station off that fork.

In fact, it's a complete second Y with double track on each side.
I didn't mention it in my own posting because that article was long enough
as it was, and it didn't relate to any phantom station that I knew of.

John Hofbauer (who posted the reference to Donlands) said that his source
was vague about what there actually was there, and he hadn't heard about
a phantom station there from anywhere else.

So another interpretation occurs to me.  Rather than there being a rough-in
for a station, perhaps the provision-for-a-connection referred to was
the Y itself, and somebody was contemplating through running from the
Danforth line to the proposed line.  But this is pure speculation.

By the way, if this topic hadn't about burned itself out by now, the
proper place for it would be rec.railroad, with a tor or ont distribution.
No need to swamp tor.general.  But I think we're about done, so I won't
redirect it.  If someone wants to start a new subthread, please do it in
the right place.

migod@csri.toronto.edu (Mike Godfrey) (11/30/88)

In article <1988Nov29.174934.3845@sq.uucp> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:
>By the way, if this topic hadn't about burned itself out by now, the
>proper place for it would be rec.railroad, with a tor or ont distribution.
>No need to swamp tor.general.  But I think we're about done, so I won't
>redirect it.  If someone wants to start a new subthread, please do it in
>the right place.

I disagree (well, sort of).  Everyone that I've talked to who's been following
this little conversation has been very interested by it (on my way home, I
noticed that a faculty member had just run a summary of the articles off the
laser printer).  I've lived here for 17 years and had never heard about these
"phantom" stations.

Thanks to all who have contributed from us lurkers.

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (12/02/88)

I can't believe that no-one has mentioned the model of the Queen subway
station at the Ontario Science Centre.  I've only been in Toronto since
1984, but I saw that model within my first month here!

The model shows the Queen street subway station, as it is today,
complete with the roughed in East-West platform below the North-South
platform.  If I remember it right, the un-used platform is well below
the walkway(s) used to join the two platforms on the North-South line.

BTW, since I work on the "TTC Line" on Rogers Cable, I will collect
these articles and present them to Jeff Lyons.  I'm sure he will find
them quite interesting.
--
						Greg Woods.

{utgpu,lsuc!gate,ontmoh}!woods, woods@{gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU,utorgpu.BITNET}
1-416-443-1734 [h], 1-416-595-5425 [w]   LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada