[tor.general] TTC Subway fault-tolerance

hiraki@ecf.toronto.edu (Lester Hiraki) (03/16/89)

I realize this topic might be a bit specific, but judging by
the overwhelming discussion of the hidden subway station under
Bay, I thought I might throw this in for discussion.
Perhaps some people were inconvenienced by the subway problem on Wednesday,
March 15.  Although the problem was near Davisville, there was no service
between Lawrence and Union.  I know that there are gurus out there who
will agree that there is a switch-over thing (=x=) just
south of St. Clair Stn.  Why not to have turned back the
trains there instead of at Union?

howard@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Howard Lem) (03/17/89)

In article <810@mv03.ecf.toronto.edu> hiraki@ecf.toronto.edu (Lester Hiraki) writes:
>Perhaps some people were inconvenienced by the subway problem on Wednesday,
>March 15.  Although the problem was near Davisville, there was no service
>between Lawrence and Union.  I know that there are gurus out there who
>will agree that there is a switch-over thing (=x=) just
>south of St. Clair Stn.  Why not to have turned back the
>trains there instead of at Union?

Trying to remember my TTC riding days; isn't there a switch over near Bloor?
My guess is that it has something to do with the way the TTC setup their
power grid.  The section that was shutdown included all of the original
subway line (except for Union station.)  Maybe they did not / could not split
there power grid on the original line.
--
      .signature follows!  use the n key if you don't want to see it :-)

<<<<<<<<<========= ALL Usual disclaimers go here :-) =========>>>>>>>>>
Canada Post:  Howard Lem - University of Toronto Computing Services
              11 King's College Rd., Room 107A
              Toronto, Ont., Canada,  M5S 1A1
Telephone: (416) - 978 - 4310 {work}
Email: howard@gpu.utcs.uucp

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (03/20/89)

In article <810@mv03.ecf.toronto.edu>, hiraki@ecf.toronto.edu (Lester Hiraki) writes:
> Perhaps some people were inconvenienced by the subway problem on Wednesday,
> March 15.  Although the problem was near Davisville, there was no service
> between Lawrence and Union.  I know that there are gurus out there who
> will agree that there is a switch-over thing (=x=) just
> south of St. Clair Stn.  Why not to have turned back the
> trains there instead of at Union?

Wednesdays problem made it necessary to shut off power to the rails, I'm
pretty sure the power is "zoned" but likely Davisville and St. Clair
are in the same zone. There are certianly other reasons too. A better
question would be why the trains couldn't turn at Bloor instead of
Union.
--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!mnetor!ontmoh!ontenv!soley	| Contents of this message are

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (03/21/89)

> > Although the problem was near Davisville, there was no service
> > between Lawrence and Union.  I know that there are gurus out there
> > who will agree that there is a switch-over thing (=x=) just
> > south of St. Clair Stn.

The term you want is "turnback switch"; the particular layout you show
is a "scissors crossing" (for obvious reasons).  Actually, there *was*
a scissors crossing just south of St. Clair, but it was removed two or
three years ago.

The original line from Union to Eglinton was more richly provided with
turnback switches than the later parts of the system, and I believe the
TTC observed that they weren't being used all that much and decided to
save on maintenance costs by taking some of them out.  It costs more to
maintain switches than plain track because of uneven wear; with plain
track you can grind away any irregularities, but with switches you have
to keep the rail-tops level on both branches of the switch.

The other turnback switches that were removed were also scissors crossings;
they were just south of College and just north of King.  You can see that
the tunnel loses its center wall (and the ceiling becomes arched to span
the extra distance) at these locations.

> Wednesday's problem made it necessary to shut off power to the rails, I'm
> pretty sure the power is "zoned" but likely Davisville and St. Clair
> are in the same zone.  There are certianly other reasons too.

That's a sufficient reason all by itself, and I'm sure it is the actual
reason.  Eglinton station has turnback switches on *both* ends -- a scissors
crossing south of the station and a center "pocket" track north of it --
but it must be in the same zone too.

> A better question would be why the trains couldn't turn at Bloor
> instead of Union.

Apparently because Bloor is in the same zone too.  This surprised me also.
In fact, I was one of those affected by the problem, because I was trying
to go from King to Bay stations at the time.  I walked to Union and made
the trip via St. George instead.  While I was leaving the subway at Bloor
station, I noticed that there was a train stopped at the northbound platform
and its interior lights were off.  So it seems there was no power on the
Yonge line at Bloor either.

It's possible that the accident happened very near a power zone boundary,
and two adjacent zones had to be switched off.  Maybe I'll ask the TTC
about it.  I too was surprised that they had to shut down so long a section.

The following is a complete list of possible turnback switches on the
subway system to the best of my recollection; however, I'm doing this
from memory, and it's been some time since I've used some of the lines,
especially the farther northern and eastern sections.

This list is really posted only to give an idea of how they are placed;
if anyone wants to correct it, please email to me and I'll post a followup.

I say "possible" turnback switches because some of them may be intended
for other purposes than turnbacks, and may not have the necessary signals
to be used that way without special intervention.

By "trailing" crossover, I mean one that the train has to reverse *before*
using, i.e., as you approach it you see it cross from the left to the
right track.  "Leading" is the opposite.

	nearest station		layout

	Finch			scissors crossing
	Finch			center track
	Sheppard		scissors crossing
	York Mills		scissors crossing
	Lawrence		scissors crossing
	Eglinton		center track
	Eglinton		scissors crossing
	Davisville		trailing crossover
	Davisville		leading crossover
	Bloor			scissors crossing
	Union			trailing crossover
	Union to St.Andrew	center track	|  Anyone know why they have
	Osgoode			center track	|  two so close together?
	St. George		scissors crossing
	St. Clair West		center track
	Glencairn		center track
	Lawrence West		center track
	Wilson			scissors crossing

	Kipling			scissors crossing
	Islington		scissors crossing
	Islington		center track
	Jane			scissors crossing
	Keele			scissors crossing
	Ossington		center track
	St. George		scissors crossing
	Broadview		center track
	Greenwood		scissors crossing
	Woodbine		scissors crossing
	Victoria Park		scissors crossing
	Warden			center track
	Warden			scissors crossing
	Kennedy			scissors crossing

Most of the center tracks can be entered from either end, but I won't
bother trying to remember which ones can't.

Mark Brader			"Well, I didn't completely test it, and
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		 of course there was a power failure the
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com	 next day."	     -- Louis J. Judice

howard@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Howard Lem) (03/23/89)

In article <1989Mar20.211818.27937@sq.com> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:
>  [much info deleted] ...
>	Eglinton		center track
>	Osgoode			center track	|  two so close together?
I think the centre track north of the stations were used to 'store' the
trains between rush hours.  Both tracks can only be entered from the south.
Come to think of it they used to park a train off to the side at Warden(when
that was the eastern end of the subway.

eric@becker.UUCP (Eric Siegerman) (03/23/89)

In article <1989Mar20.211818.27937@sq.com> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:
>> Wednesday's problem made it necessary to shut off power to the rails, I'm
>> pretty sure the power is "zoned" but likely Davisville and St. Clair
>> are in the same zone.  There are certianly other reasons too.
>[...]
>Eglinton station has turnback switches on *both* ends
>[...]
>but it must be in the same zone too.
>[...]
>Apparently because Bloor is in the same zone too.
>[...]  So it seems there was no power on the
>Yonge line at Bloor either.

According to a friend of mine, who once worked as an inspector of
equipment in the subway stations, the emergency power cutoff
switch (there's one at each end of each subway platform, with a
blue light and dire warnings as to the consequences of misuse)
cuts power to trains in both directions, at the station in
question and at the two adjoining stations (ie. a total of three
stations are affected).

This suggests that each station is in its own zone, with the
cutoff switch sending a control signal to the neighbouring
stations.  Two- or three-station zones would not seem to permit
the interlocking scheme I've described.

A way to test this hypothesis:  when riding in one of the old red
subway cars with the incandescent lighting, see how often the
lights go off.  I've always assumed that they flicker when the
train crosses the insulated gap between zones (and that the newer
cars' lights don't flicker because they are equipped with
batteries -- necessary because fluorescent lights would take too
long to come back on once power was restored.)

--
Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.
eks@kneller.UUCP,  eric@becker.UUCP,  ...!utzoo!mnetor!becker!kneller!eks

chk@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (C. Harald Koch) (03/25/89)

In article <383@becker.UUCP> eric@becker.UUCP (Eric Siegerman) writes:
>A way to test this hypothesis:  when riding in one of the old red
>subway cars with the incandescent lighting, see how often the
>lights go off.  I've always assumed that they flicker when the
>train crosses the insulated gap between zones (and that the newer
>cars' lights don't flicker because they are equipped with
>batteries -- necessary because fluorescent lights would take too
>long to come back on once power was restored.)

The reason is actually much simpler. Normally, the power strip is on the
left side of the train (in the tunnels). In center platform stations, and at
switches, the power rail is on the right.

When the rails switch sides, there is a short distance with no power.  The
old red cars are shorter than the newer silver ones.  The new trains are
long enough to bridge the gap, the older ones are not.

Actually, another possibility is that the newer trains share power between
cars while the older ones don't. That would also explain it. It is still
because of the gap between sections of power rail, though.

--
C. Harald Koch		NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca, chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, chk@chkent.UUCP

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (03/25/89)

> >	Eglinton		center track
> >	Osgoode			center track	|  two so close together?
> I think the centre track north of the stations were used to 'store' the
> trains between rush hours.  Both tracks can only be entered from the south.

Correct for Eglinton, backward for Osgoode.  (Most or all of the other
center tracks can be entered from either end, by the way.)

While I have seen trains parked in center tracks many times, these
sightings have been rare enough that I doubt this explanation.  Trains
not in service are normally parked in the various yards.  Of course,
it could have been a former operating method not followed today.

Mark Brader			"Great things are not done by those
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		 who sit down and count the cost
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com	 of every thought and act."  -- Daniel Gooch

Eric Siegerman (eric@becker.UUCP) writes:
> According to a friend of mine, who once worked as an inspector of
> equipment in the subway stations, the emergency power cutoff
> switch (there's one at each end of each subway platform, with a
> blue light and dire warnings as to the consequences of misuse)

Also at regular intervals between stations, each one marked with the same
blue light and, in recent years, a sign giving the distance to the nearest
station or other exit in each direction.

> cuts power to trains in both directions, at the station in
> question and at the two adjoining stations (ie. a total of three
> stations are affected).
>
> This suggests that each station is in its own zone, with the
> cutoff switch sending a control signal to the neighbouring stations.

Did the ex-inspector say that the power cut is ONLY over the distance
he described, or might it be AT LEAST over that distance?  I repeat that
I know from personal observation (of a darkened train) that the power was
off at Bloor station during the emergency near Davisville that started this
topic.  If the power cut is AT LEAST over the distance he/she described,
no such complicated interlocking is required; each cutoff switch needs to
control at most two sections.

> A way to test this hypothesis:  when riding in one of the old red
> subway cars with the incandescent lighting, see how often the
> lights go off.  I've always assumed that they flicker when the
> train crosses the insulated gap between zones (and that the newer
> cars' lights don't flicker because they are equipped with
> batteries -- necessary because fluorescent lights would take too
> long to come back on once power was restored.)

I suspect that the actual reason is that the track power is 600 volts DC,
and you can't run a fluorescent light on that.  The easiest way to generate
AC power (which can be transformed to any voltage needed) is a motor-
generator pair.  If this was used, the momentum of the armature would
cause the lights to stay lit for, say, 1 second or so after power was
removed.  Guess what?  That is exactly the actual behavior.  If you're on
a new-type car and there is a power failure, or if it stops at a place
where the power rail is interrupted, you'll see the lights fade slowly
over a period of 1 second or so.  So I conclude that motor-generator
pairs are used.

(On the old cars, they must either have special incandescent lights that
run on 600 volts, or they must wire them in series.  I don't know which.)

Both old and new cars are also equipped with emergency lights which are
probably battery-powered: one incandescent light over each door.  On the
old (G, for Gloucester) cars these lights are on continuously, and form
part of the normal lighting; on the newer (M, for Montreal Locomotive Works,
and H, for Hawker-Siddeley (now UTDC)) ones they come on about 1 second
after the normal lights have failed.

By the way, in some other cities the subways use fluorescent lights and
yet the lights do go off, almost instantly, when the power rail is
interrupted.  They usually light up again almost instantly, too.
I guess that these cities' trains are using solid-state devices to
convert the DC track power to AC.  (Use of AC power for subways would
be most unusual; DC motors have better characteristics for this duty.)

And C. Harald Koch (chk@client2.dciem.dnd.ca) writes:

| The reason is actually much simpler. Normally, the power strip is on the
| left side of the train (in the tunnels). In center platform stations, and at
| switches, the power rail is on the right.

True, but the gap in the power rail is very short at these places.
I believe that it is not intended as a section boundary for power
cutoff purposes; those have a longer gap.

Note that every car is equipped with contact shoes on both sides at
each set of wheels.  Power to the lights is cut off only when all the
shoes are out of contact, so it is reasonable to assume that all four
shoes are simply wired together.

(One may observe also that when a train, of any type, enters a place where
the power rail is interrupted, there is an arc when the rear shoe of each car
leaves the power rail, but none when the front shoe does.  This shows both
that every car is independently powered and that the front and rear of each
car are connected to each other.)

Now, suppose a car is situated across one of these short gaps in the power
rail with the rear in section A and the front in section B.  Someone tries
to cut off the power in section B.  But look, the front shoe is still live
from section A, and the rear shoe is connected to it, and the section B
is connected to that.  So section B remains live.  Because of this scenario,
gaps in the power rail intended as section boundaries must be long enough
that in the case of the old cars the lights actually do go off; otherwise
you couldn't count on them working.

I believe that the gaps are in fact often located right at the turnback
switches, perhaps to minimize the number of ends to the power rail.
There are some switches where the power is not interrupted, so it's
possible to do that if desired.

In short, what I conjectured before has not yet been disproved.

Mark Brader			Also, be sure to include your signature TWICE in
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		each article. That way you're sure people will
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com	read it.   -- "Emily Postnews" (Brad Templeton)