[tor.general] Recycling Phonebooks

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (03/15/89)

Now that the new books are out, anyone know if there is a recycling
depot for old phonebooks? Its too much paper to just throw away.

--
Doug Eastick	eastick@me.UTORONTO.BITNET	UUCP: ...!utai!me!eastick
		eastick@me.toronto.edu

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (03/17/89)

In article <89Mar15.154034est.19517@me.utoronto.ca>, eastick@me.UUCP writes:
> Now that the new books are out, anyone know if there is a recycling
> depot for old phonebooks? Its too much paper to just throw away.

In Mississauga they are trying an experimental program to recycle
books, they will be shipped to India and recycled there. Unfortunately
no-one in Canada seems interested. Seems that there is already more
recycled newsprint on the market than there is demand for, so the
recycling companies are having to stockpile newspapers. There's
absolutely no good reason for this as most of the big newspapers still
use large quantities of "new" papaer.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!mnetor!ontmoh!ontenv!soley	| Contents of this message are

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (03/20/89)

If you slit the spine of your phone book off, you can simply put it in
your blue box.  It is, after all, more or less newsprint.  The glue would
poison the batch, so you gotta get it off somehow.
--
Chris Lewis, Markham, Ontario, Canada
{uunet!attcan,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (03/25/89)

In article <224@ecicrl.UUCP>, clewis@ecicrl.UUCP writes:
> If you slit the spine of your phone book off, you can simply put it in
> your blue box.  It is, after all, more or less newsprint.  The glue would
> poison the batch, so you gotta get it off somehow.

I wouldn't do it (except in that area of Mississauga were Bell is
organizing the trial). Why? The municpalities help to offset the costs
of curbside recycling by selling the stuff to contractors
who are paranoid about contamination of what they are recycling, they
inspect each load before it gets unloaded at the plant and if they
think it's too contaminated it goes to the dump and they don't pay for
the load. So even though glueless phone book pages are perfectly
recyclable they may LOOK unrecyclable to the recycling contractor
resulting in an entire load of paper going into the landfill site
instead of being recycled.

--

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (04/01/89)

In article <448@ontenv.UUCP>, soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
> In article <224@ecicrl.UUCP>, clewis@ecicrl.UUCP writes:
> > If you slit the spine of your phone book off, you can simply put it in
> > your blue box.  It is, after all, more or less newsprint.  The glue would
> > poison the batch, so you gotta get it off somehow.
>
> I wouldn't do it (except in that area of Mississauga were Bell is
> organizing the trial). Why? [...] even though glueless phone book pages
> are perfectly recyclable they may LOOK unrecyclable to the recycling
> contractor resulting in an entire load of paper going into the landfill site
> instead of being recycled.

I've got some further information about this issue. According to CKCO TV
reporter Steve Hopper (11:30 Newscast, March 27th) a petition has been raised
in Guelph protesting the fact that they cannot recycle their phone books.
BRAVO!

It was pointed out that telephone books are made from paper that is
different enough from newsprint that they cannot be recycled together.
This supports my advice against putting them in blue boxes.

The horse has already left the barn this year for most of us. The time to
start thinking about next year is upon us! Start a petition or write
letters urging that next year everyone in Ontario can participate in phone
book recycling, not just a small area in Mississagua send them to Bell
Canada, to the Ministries of Environment (Federal and Provincial) and
most importantly to your local council, after all they're the ones who
run our recycling programs, heck why not cc: the CRTC too.

--
Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
Until the next maps go out:	moegate!soley@ontenv.UUCP