[tor.general] Any experiences with Best or Exceltronix?

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (09/27/89)

Two or three weeks ago I wrote:

> A family member, having decided to purchase a computer, has decided that
> a Best computer looks like a clear win on price, and on top of that,
> it's made in Canada.  If anyone has experiences good or bad with
> Best computers or with Exceltronix, would they please send mail to me?

In the end, said family member decided *not* to purchase a computer
after all.  But meanwhile, I got 15 responses to my posting.

First, here's a summary of the comments that were about the computers
or that related to both Best and Exceltronix.  Opinions varied widely,
which may only mean that different computers from Best are of different
quality.  Unfortunately most respondents did not say which model they
were referring to, and I didn't think to mention models in my query.
Anyway, there were distinctly more negative than positive comments.

* I strongly anti-recommend the Best machines.

* Partially completed systems, defective motherboards etc. ... "repaired"
  and assembled ... poorly designed ... surplus below grade product.
  Best also has a "new" line that is more expensive but judging from
  Exceltronix track record, I'd advise Caution.

* They're not a bad box, although not as bullet-proof
  as a few others.  ... The new box is a well-designed clone,
  with somewhat spotty assembly.

* They are a reasonable, cheap clone.

* Please note that I am not entirely unbiased as I have been involved
  closely with Exceltronics in the past.  That said...
  Pluses:
     - very close attention paid to "compatibility"
     - local servicing
  Minuses:
     - very poor reliability
     - the "sale" items are actually old designs being sold off...
     - the newer products are mostly based on locally designed
  I wouldn't recommend buying one.

* A fellow ... has some quite knowledgeable horror stories
  about the current crop of Best/Exceltronics bargoons.

* Sub-standard in quality ... They are poorly engineered, and I highly
  recommend that you do not buy them.

* I know of a few people who have had problems with BEST systems, and been
  quite dissatisfied with the support they received. ... Unless the price
  is hundreds of dollars less than brand-names and reputable clone shops
  ... I'd avoid BEST.  Actually, I'd avoid it regardless of price.

* "Made in Canada" doesn't mean too much.  ALL these places buy Taiwanese
  boards, stuff 'em with chips, and put 'em in cases.  This is what
  obtains the "Made in Canada" label.

* I have a lot of experience with what is now called the Best Mark IV.
  Used from 9am-5pm daily ... none of the computers have had to be serviced.
  They appear to be virtually 100% IBM compatible.

* I have used some of them, and my main complaint has been about the
  metalwork.  Many "full length" boards won't fit in the Bests around
  here!  I have had no problems with software compatibility.
  The techies here complain of very poor hardware support,
  no-one returns their calls, no schematics, very poor turnaround
  on carry-in repairs, etc.

* I didn't use the Best PC much except as a terminal emulator.  The
  keyboard seemed cheap but otherwise they seemed to be pretty strong boxes.

Now here are the comments about Exceltronix.

* The people at Exceltronix are sort of your usual sleazy
  clone merchants, neither much worse or any better than average.

* Exceltronix used to be a big hobbyist place ... recently the
  original owner bought back the company and reopened on College.
  Over the years, I have thought that their systems prices were a bit
  high (but remember that I am a cheap-skate) and that their designs
  were a bit pedestrian/amateur.  This might have been caused by them
  being semi-cottage (manufacturing for just the Toronto market).
  These are impressions, not facts.  Note: they did the fancy
  electronic signs in the subway system.

* Long ago, I bought their ASCII terminal kit.  Seems to work, still.
  Getting an update ROM was a pain, though.  They never did get back
  to me.  They've been advertising that BEST thing and its variants
  for years and years in ETI magazine.

* I have looked at other Exeltronix products (including BEST clones several
  years ago) and been underwhelmed by attention to details.

* The Canadian Press ... used Exceltronix ... I dealt with Exceltronix
  at CP getting service and mods for the INADs and remember that they
  were decent enough.

Finally, there were also several suggestions for other sources:

* We have lately been buying TCS clones WITH THE TI CHIPSET from
  Transat Computer Systems.             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

* Check the Wednesday Globe & Mail for clones from such places
  as Future Tron et al.

* I've been buying machines for my customers from Perfect Electronics on
  Queen near John for several years now.  Their prices are very good, and
  although they lack salesmanly polish, they seem to be very honest and
  have been very helpful with technical problems.

* I personally have a GREFF 386-22 and I can speak highly of this
  Canadian company, and its quality.

* ... Brand-names (Packard Bell, Samsung among others) and reputable
  clone shops (Computronix on Queen just east of Spadina, North Side)

* There's another place to look at - CUI, up in Markham.  I've been
  dealing with them.  Their prices are good, and as I've had some
  problems with the unit, I've had an opportunity to see how they
  deal with them.  No worse than some of the majors!

* If you got a quote from them, take it to some of the other shops
  on College and to the Queen & Beverly St. area; I'm sure there are
  others that are willing to match or beat the price.  (There also
  seems to be a whole bunch of them near Steeles & Warden area.)
  Also, check the Toronto Star's "Hi-Tech" ads on Sat. and I think
  Tues. & Thurs.  The Sat. paper usually have 3 or 4 pages of ads.
  I got my AT system from ... called Perfect Computer on Queen St. W.
  (No problems so far.)  So now I can say my computer is perfect :-))

Thanks to Ian Allen, Doug Berry, David Collier-Brown, Beverly
Erlebacher, Mark Freedman, Brian Glendenning, David Harrison,
Russell Herman, Steven Johnson, Howard Lem, Hugh Redelmeier,
Jeffrey Roberts, Ed Rozentals, Bruce Walker, and zeus!david for
writing or for passing on others' writings.  Even if I didn't turn
out to need the information this time, it may help someone else.

--
Mark Brader		"The last 10% of the performance sought contributes
Toronto			 one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

This article is in the public domain.