[tor.general] TTC & Class-action suit

perelgut@csri.toronto.edu (Stephen Perelgut) (10/05/89)

Anyone know what the chance of success would be for a class action suit
on behalf of either the taxpayers of Ontario or the TTC commuters.  My
thought is to sue whoever is responsible for shutting down the transit
system (in this case, the TTC since they are planning a lock-out).  As
a taxpayer, my $'s go to support transit via government grants, etc.  As
a commuter, I need access to a large city with an inadequate road system.

I'm generally against litigating for frivolous purposes, but I: (a) don't
consider this fivolous; and (b) do think that the threat of a class-action
suit will stop either party from closing the system down completely.

P.S.  For the legal-beagles out there, what rights do people have re:
	- a class action suit of this sort
	- recovering damages from time lost at work due to lack of access
	- recovering damages from work lost when workers can't make it to
	  the job site (I'm sure there are many people without ANY option
	  other than TTC)
	- recovering losses due to earlier purchase of a Metropass.

In article <1989Oct5.094607.19989@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> perelgut@csri.toronto.edu (Stephen Perelgut) writes:
>... to sue whoever is responsible for shutting down the transit
>system (in this case, the TTC since they are planning a lock-out)...

Careful, my understanding is that the TTC isn't locking the doors.  It's
changing schedules around, and the union plans to refuse to work the new
schedules.  Sounds to me like you should *probably* be suing the union,
assuming the new schedules are reasonable and not a calculated provocation.

If I was planning a government response to the mess, I'd try hard for some
creative solution that would make both sides scream.  Then at least they'd
have some incentive to compromise peacefully *next* time.
--
Nature is blind; Man is merely |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
shortsighted (and improving).  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu