[tor.general] Small backpacks -- old style?

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (12/14/89)

My venerable old day pack, which has carried many books, groceries,
and other stuff during the past N years, is finally starting to show
its age, and is literally falling apart at the seams.

I went looking for a replacement, only to find that it seems to be
impossible these days to find an exact replacement:  They *all* have
padded straps.  I find this mildly annoying, since (1) they take up
all sorts of pointless extra room if you want to fold it up and stick
it in a suitcase, larger pack, etc.; and (2) if you just want to sling
your pack over one shoulder, nylon straps on a nylon jacket makes for
about as friction-free a contact as you can get, and the pack tends to
slide off ...

I've tried all the obvious places (Mountain Equipment Co-op, Black's,
etc.) as well as a few of the cheap places on Yonge south of Wellesley
that sell the second-rate junk.  No luck anywhere.  Several places even
told me that they feel they would have trouble selling a small pack with
non-padded straps.  (For the record, I know of at least one other person
besides me who prefers this style.)

Does anyone know of any place, anywhere in Toronto, that still carries
this now-seemingly-antique style of pack?  Or someplace elsewhere, that
does mail orders?

Mark Bartelt                    INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu
Hospital for Sick Children                mark@sickkids.utoronto.ca
598-6442                        UUCP: {utzoo,utgpu,lsuc}!sickkids!mark

david_l@perle.UUCP (David LeReverend) (12/17/89)

In article <377@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>My venerable old day pack, which has carried many books, groceries,
>and other stuff during the past N years, is finally starting to show
>its age, and is literally falling apart at the seams.
>
>I went looking for a replacement, only to find that it seems to be
>impossible these days to find an exact replacement:  They *all* have
>padded straps.

[Complaints about padded straps deleted.]

>Does anyone know of any place, anywhere in Toronto, that still carries
>this now-seemingly-antique style of pack?  Or someplace elsewhere, that
>does mail orders?

About a year ago I purchased such a nap-sack.  It has travelled everywhere
with me ever since.  I never leave home without it.

I bought it at a flea market in Pickering.  Does that count as Toronto?
This market is held every Sunday at the Metro East Convention Center on
Brock Road (Street?), just north of the 401.   Look for the traffic-jam.
Get there before 11:00, if this is possible on a Sunday.  Park around back.

The stall in which nap-sacks are sold was in the north-west portion of
the building.  There were many different styles, and at relatively cheap
prices.

If the above info. doesn't help you out, all I can give you is the brand
of my nap-sack: World Famous.  Perhaps they are in the phone-book.

By the way, this is a truly amazing flea market, with everything from
furniture, to organically-grown food, to socket-wrenches.  A great way to
waste a Sunday.

I assume no responsibility for the accuracy of the above directions.  I know
how to get there, but I may not know how to give good directions.

Good luck in your quest,

David LeReverend