[tor.general] Breaking the Code

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (01/13/90)

I was hoping someone who knew a few more details would post this, but
since they haven't, I'd better.  Currently playing at Toronto's
St. Lawrence Centre (last day February 3) is a play about *Alan Turing*,
called Breaking the Code.  I don't know the author or any information
about this production.

I do know that a previous production in another city was seen by people
whose opinions I trust, and they liked it enough to make me decide to
see it when I got the chance.  (Having decided that, that's all I need
to know...)

There was a write-up about the play in the Toronto Star on Friday, January 5,
where those who want more information should be able to find it.

Mark Brader			"Great things are not done by those
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		 who sit down and count the cost
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com	 of every thought and act."  -- Daniel Gooch

doc@dgp.toronto.edu (Blaine Price) (01/13/90)

I saw _Breaking The Code_ at the first preview show last Monday and
I HIGHLY recommend it.  Tom Wood gave a truly superb performance as
the eccentric Alan Turing and the play would definately be interesting
even to people who have never heard of Turing or computers before.
I won't spoil the plot or warn you of the slightly different style
(those interested can read the professional review) but I think that
the play is worth it even if just to see Tom Wood's enjoyable portrayal
of Turing.

It's playing at the St. Lawrence Centre (on Front St., beside the O'Keefe)
and just about any seat in the house is a good seat (choose seats closer
to the centre rather than closer to the front).  Students should note that
for Monday to Thursday shows they may purchase any available seat in the
house (for that day) for $13 beginning 2 hours before curtain.
---
Blaine Price  (416) 978-6619, fax: 4765         doc@dgp.utoronto.{ca,bitnet}
Dynamic Graphics Project, Dept. of Computer Sci.         doc@dgp.toronto.edu
Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4               ...!uunet!dgp.toronto.edu!doc

migod@csri.toronto.edu (Mike Godfrey) (01/13/90)

In article <1990Jan12.190755.18122@sq.sq.com> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

>There was a write-up about the play in the Toronto Star on Friday, January 5,
>where those who want more information should be able to find it.

And there was another positive review in today's (Saturday) Globe and Mail.

"You've read the book.  You've used the language.  Now see the play."

--
Mike Godfrey		  "Baby it's an AM world, baby it's an AM world,
Dept of Comp Sci, UofT     Get yourself a flag and run it up a pole,