[tor.general] creation of tor.jobs?

eric@ists.ists.ca (Eric M. Carroll) (02/10/90)

Someone recently complained about a job posting from here to tor.general
for secretarial positions. I had suggested that ont.jobs was too wide
a distribution for secretarial/technician postings, and thus they should go
to Toronto only. Although, given the usual content of tor.general, I
can't really see the validity of the objection, I would like to propose
a tor.jobs be created.

Is there any major objection to creating it? I'll give it a
week, and if no significant objection exists, I'll newgroup it.

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (02/11/90)

In article <5094@ists.ists.ca> eric@ists.ists.ca (Eric M. Carroll) writes:

>Someone recently complained about a job posting from here to tor.general
>for secretarial positions. I had suggested that ont.jobs was too wide
>a distribution for secretarial/technician postings, and thus they should go
>to Toronto only. Although, given the usual content of tor.general, I
>can't really see the validity of the objection, I would like to propose
>a tor.jobs be created.
>
>Is there any major objection to creating it? I'll give it a
>week, and if no significant objection exists, I'll newgroup it.

Why not use ont.jobs but limit distribution to tor?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

In article <5094@ists.ists.ca> eric@ists.ists.ca (Eric M. Carroll) writes:
>... I had suggested that ont.jobs was too wide
>a distribution ...

Remember that you can pick newsgroup and distribution separately, given
proper software.  A posting to ont.jobs with a distribution of tor would
suffice for this.  I don't think we really need a new newsgroup.
--
SVR4:  every feature you ever |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
wanted, and plenty you didn't.| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu