[net.misc] a flame on shareware - Re: Inference engine

lef@nlm-vax.ARPA (Larry Fitzpatrick) (01/03/86)

In article <1270@sdcsvax.UUCP> you write:
>In article <831@asgb.UUCP> hageman@asgb.UUCP (George W. Hageman) writes:
>> [introductory material]...
>>
>>                  IF          you find use for this software
>>                  ANDIF       it saves you some development time
>>                  THEN            send me $10.00
>>                  ANDTHENHYP      you will feel good!
>
>Oh, God, now shareware starts here.  If you think, as do I, that this
>request for funds is contrary to the spirit and customs of the Usenet, please
>let the author know that you think he's a bad guy.
>
>Clearly I think its wrong; why? ...

Even more basic than the arguments you put forth is the idea that
Hageman is using net machines resources to pay for the advertising
and distribution costs.  Other than that, if the guy wants to make
some money, let him.

Perhaps all net sites that result in a "sale" should be payed a
commission... that would eat into $10 pretty quickly.

-fitz

lef@nlm-vax

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) (01/15/86)

What's so bad about freeware (begging for money in public domain
programs)?  I would think that if a guy gets a bunch of money from
users of such a program, that he would be encouraged to do more
programs.  I am not offended by the concept - I look at it as a kind
of Gong Show for software.  Besides, the only freeware I know of does
not prohibit people from changing the source code, only from distributing
the changed source code for a profit.