[net.misc] Spontaneous combustion of people!

krahl@druky.UUCP (R.H. Krahl) (01/11/86)

>certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
>charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
>might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom. I would especially like to
>learn about any possible written material regarding this rather amazing claim.
>        Thanks. I'll post any information I get if anyone is interested
>.        Peter Espen

Get Serious!  Either you've been watching too much of The Twilight Zone or
hitting the wackie tobaccie a little too heavily in my opinion.  :-)

Rich

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (01/13/86)

In article <34@druky.UUCP> krahl@druky.UUCP (R.H. Krahl) writes:
>>certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
>>charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
>>might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom. I would especially like to
>>learn about any possible written material regarding this rather amazing claim.
>>        Thanks. I'll post any information I get if anyone is interested
>>.        Peter Espen
>
>Get Serious!  Either you've been watching too much of The Twilight Zone or
>hitting the wackie tobaccie a little too heavily in my opinion.  :-)

It's not so silly, after all.  Tomorrow evening (Jan. 14, 1986),
the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is airing a show examining
the topic.  "20/20" (similar to "60 Minutes" in the States), as an
in-depth news programme, would not spend an hour seriously looking
at this if it were totally ridiculous.

--
Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay

scott@opus.UUCP (Scott Wiesner) (01/14/86)

> >certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
> >charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
> >might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom. I would especially like to
> >learn about any possible written material regarding this rather amazing claim

I believe the first "Book of Lists" by the Wallace family has a chapter with
a list of people who have gone poof.  I believe you can find the book in any
bookstore or library in the same section as the Guiness books.

Scott Wiesner
{allegra, ucbvax, hao}!nbires!scott

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (01/14/86)

In article <1159@utai.UUCP> gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) writes:
>In article <34@druky.UUCP> krahl@druky.UUCP (R.H. Krahl) writes:
>>>certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
>>>charred remains are found...
>>>.        Peter Espen
>>
>>Get Serious!  Either you've been watching too much of The Twilight Zone or
>>hitting the wackie tobaccie a little too heavily in my opinion.  :-)
>
>It's not so silly, after all.  Tomorrow evening (Jan. 14, 1986),
>the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is airing a show examining
>the topic.  "20/20" (similar to "60 Minutes" in the States), as an
             ^^^^^^^
>in-depth news programme, would not spend an hour seriously looking
>at this if it were totally ridiculous.

That should be "the fifth estate".  Sorry about that.

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (01/17/86)

> In article <34@druky.UUCP> krahl@druky.UUCP (R.H. Krahl) writes:
> >>certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted....
> >
> >Get Serious!
>
> It's not so silly, after all.  Tomorrow evening (Jan. 14, 1986),
> the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is airing a show examining
> the topic.  "20/20" (similar to "60 Minutes" in the States), as an
> in-depth news programme, would not spend an hour seriously looking
> at this if it were totally ridiculous.

I assume that you have some land in Florida?  Beachfront property?  (when it's
not underwater...)

Gee, and I had such a good impression of CBC before this...

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

The Pentagon's Polygraphs:  Witchcraft for witchhunts.

krahl@druky.UUCP (R.H. Krahl) (01/17/86)

I still say...GET SERIOUS.  The body is made up of approx. 90% water.
The only time I ever heard of (water burning) was in Cleveland.

wls@astrovax.UUCP (William L. Sebok) (01/19/86)

>>>certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
>>>charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
>>>might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom. I would especially like to
>>>learn about any possible written material regarding this rather amazing claim.
>>Get Serious!  Either you've been watching too much of The Twilight Zone or
>>hitting the wackie tobaccie a little too heavily in my opinion.  :-)
>
>It's not so silly, after all.  Tomorrow evening (Jan. 14, 1986),
>the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is airing a show examining
>the topic.  "20/20" (similar to "60 Minutes" in the States), as an
>in-depth news programme, would not spend an hour seriously looking
>at this if it were totally ridiculous.

Yes they would.
--
Bill Sebok			Princeton University, Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,noao,philabs,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!wls

crickman@umn-cs.UUCP (Robin Crickman) (01/20/86)

> In article <34@druky.UUCP> krahl@druky.UUCP (R.H. Krahl) writes:
> >>...certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted.

> "20/20" (similar to "60 Minutes" in the States), as an
> in-depth news programme, would not spend an hour seriously looking
> at this if it were totally ridiculous.
Must not be very similar to "60 Minutes" after all.

John Hasler (guest of ...ihnp4!umn-cs!crickman)