[ba.general] A dying wish...

steve@monu6.cc.monash.oz (Steve Balogh) (04/12/90)

In article <28561@ubvax.UB.Com> csr@ubvax.UB.Com (Chris Ranch) writes:

>Hello all,
>
>A note from a College Professor of mine.  Seems a small amount of effort on our
>part could really make this kid happy one last time...
>
>Thanks, and pass it on,
>
>Chris Ranch
>Ungermann-Bass

>Date: Fri, 6 Apr 90 05:33 PDT
>From: CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu!SCU.BITNET!RDAVIS
>Subject: wish
>To: csr@ubvax.UB.Com
>
>I was touched by this request, which was posted on the SCU bulletin
>board by one of our students, so I decided to send it on to
>more people. If there is a local bulletin board where you work,
>please post this.
>        "Please join us in helping to make one extremely sick child's wish
>come true...  This particular child's name is Craig Shergold.  He is seven
>years old and has a very short time to live due to a brain tumor.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!  OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH NNNNNNNOOOOOOO!

NOT AGAIN!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

AAAAAAAAARARARARRARARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

		Steve (who has just commited suicide)

----_--_-_-_--_-__-_------_-__---_-___-_----_-____-_-_--__-_--_--___-_-_-_--__-_

Steve Balogh	VK3YMY		      | steve@monu6.cc.monash.oz (...oz.au)
Chisholm Institute of Technology  O^O | steve%monu6.cc.monash.oz@uunet.UU.NET
PO Box 197, Caulfield East	   U  | ICBM: 37 52 38.8 S  145 02 42.0 E
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA. 3145	  \_/ |
+61 3 573 2266 (Ans Machine)	      |

faigin@aerospace.aero.org (Daniel P. Faigin) (04/13/90)

Seen on misc.kids (article <8a8o7di00UhW80xJod@andrew.cmu.edu> from
cc3z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher N. Carlson)):

     Ask for Cards, and Ye Shall Receive and Receive and Receive
			   by Douglas Burns

       WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A 7-year-old English boy with cancer is
finding that once a story hits the modern-day grapevine of fax
machines and computer bulletin boards, it is impossible to stop.
       Critically ill with a rare brain tumor, Craig Shergold told his
parents and nurses at a British hospital in September of his wish
to be in the Guinness Book of World Records for owning the world's
largest collection of post cards. The same wish was fulfilled only
a year earlier for another English boy with cancer.
       Once the news was out, it flowed through every conceivable
medium to even the most unimaginable places on the globe.
       Budget Rent A Car in Miami got news about Craig from a Budget
office in Gibraltar and sent one of their employees out to alert
South Florida businesses.
       ``We also passed it around to all our offices in the nation,''
said Maria Borchers, director of travel marketing.
       Children's Wish International, a non-profit organization based
in Atlanta, is also working to get cards for Craig. One of its
appeals made its way to a computer bulletin board run by Bechtel, a
Maryland-based company with an office in Palm Beach Gardens.
       ``We are getting 10,000 to 15,000 cards for Craig per day,''
said Arthur Stein, director of Children's Wish International.
       But Craig doesn't want any more cards.
       In November, he received a certificate from Guinness after his
mountain-sized collection of 1.5 million cards broke the record set
in 1988 by Mario Morby, a 13-year-old cancer victim.
       Since then, Craig's dream has become a logistical nightmare for
his parents, phone operators and the Royal Marsden Hospital in
Surrey, England.
       Monday, the unofficial count for Craig's collection reached 4
million, said Mark Young, a Guinness Publishing Ltd. spokesmen. The
hospital has set up a separate answering service to implore callers
to refrain from sending more postcards.
       Despite pleas of mercy and reports in the media, hundreds of
post cards continue to pour into the hospital every day.
       ``Thank you for being so kind,'' said Maria Dest, a nurse at
Royal Marsden. ``But he really does not need any more post cards.''
       Dest said that whenever a corporation gets wind of Craig's
plight, the bundles of mail increase.
       ``As soon as it starts to slow down, it goes around again,'' she
said. Dest would not discuss the specifics of his condition. ``His
condition is deteriorating, but he is still able to talk and
function,'' she said.
       Young, with Guinness, said he gets several calls every day from
people who question if Craig Shergold even exists.
       ``This is definitely legitimate and Craig will be in the 1990
Guinness Book,'' said Young.
       But because of the problems the two appeals have caused, Young
said Guinness plans to discontinue the category.
       The public outpouring for Mario and now Craig surprised
virtually everyone involved, he said.
       ``These two boys really captured the public imagination,'' Young
said.

Daniel

--
[W]:The Aerospace Corp M1/055 * POB 92957 * LA, CA 90009-2957 * 213/336-8228
[H]:9758 Natick Avenue * Sepulveda CA 91343 * 818/892-8555  | If you turn it