[net.rec.disc] Skylo

ark@rabbit.UUCP (07/13/83)

Subject: Skylo
Newsgroups: net.rec.disk

This is a gadget made by the Wham-o company, shaped like
a flattened donut about a foot in diameter.  Its flight
characteristics are remarkable -- it will greatly outdistance
any disc-type gadget and is much more stable in high winds.

Query:  where can I buy one in north cenral New Jersey?
The local Toys R Us never heard of it.

pgf@hou5f.UUCP (07/13/83)

Are you perhaps referring to the Skyro, by Mattel (I think?)?  It does indeed
have amazing flight characteristics-- too amazing, it turns out.  It is a
ring with a very slight airfoil shape to it's cross-section (i.e. almost flat),
and it goes forever.  Wtih a little practice you can throw a couple hundred
yards.  The trouble is, the direction of drift is not controlled by the initial
throw, as with a Frisbee, but by a slight distortion of this ring before ever
throwing it.  To make it go one way, you bend opposite edges up, to make it go
the other way, you bend them down.  There is really no way to know exactly
where it's going to go before you start, and since it flies so far, a small
eror is magnified greatly, to the point where very few long throws are caught,
merely chased.  I got mine at a Child World store in central Jersey.
					Paul Fox
					ABI, Holmdel, NJ
					ihnp4!hou5f!pgf

jjm@hou5e.UUCP (07/13/83)

	Along with all the other problems with the Skyro listed in
	a previous article, it's cross section is so small that you
	can't see it very well when it's headed straight at you.

	Makes it real tough to catch.

	Has anyone tried the new Nerf Boomarang (the three-armed one)?

	Jim McParland
	ABI - HO
	hou5e!jjm