[net.misc] Man made virus?

liss@gramps.DEC (Frederick R. Liss DTN 237-3649) (01/07/86)

    	I have heard from two widely separated sources that the AIDS
        virus is man made.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?  Is
        there any truth to the rumor?

			Fred

---
Frederick R. Liss        UUCP ...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-gramps!liss
Digital Equipment Corp.	 ARPA	 liss%gramps.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
333 South St.    Shrewsbury MA, 01545	Mail Stop SHR1-4/D21

freak@nsc.UUCP (Curt Mayer) (01/08/86)

In article <296@decwrl.DEC.COM> liss@gramps.DEC (Frederick R. Liss DTN 237-3649) writes:
>    	I have heard from two widely separated sources that the AIDS
>        virus is man made.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?  Is
>        there any truth to the rumor?
>
>			Fred

	which one was Mae Brussel?

	curt

royt@gatech.CSNET (Roy M Turner) (01/08/86)

>    	I have heard from two widely separated sources that the AIDS
>        virus is man made.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?  Is
>        there any truth to the rumor?
>
>			Fred

I have been out of biology for a while now, but as of a couple of years
ago, I don't believe that genetic engineering was capable of coming up
with viable viruses, aside from modifying existing ones.  The theory
that I heard was that the AIDS virus (or at least the disease) was endemic in
parts of the world, and so isn't exactly a new disease; just new outside of
third-world countries.

Roy

martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) (01/09/86)

In article <296@decwrl.DEC.COM> liss@gramps.DEC (Frederick R. Liss DTN 237-3649) writes:

>    	I have heard from two widely separated sources that the AIDS
>        virus is man made.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?  Is
>        there any truth to the rumor?
>
>			Fred
>
>---

I have heard rumors to the same effect.  But just rumors!!!.  These
*rumors* say that it is the result biological warfare tests that got
out of hand.  Who knows anymore :-? .  The idea sound kind of cooked
up to me though.

P.S.  Seems the more *advanced* we become, the more deadly deseases
      we become bitterly *aware* of; but there is little history of
      these deseases.  Is there a link....(new rumor).

				Martin the Magician.

DISCLAIMER:   These are just ramblings of tired magic maker,
	      having no real reflection of what I think I'm
	      thinking; or anyone else.

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (01/09/86)

In article <295@decwrl.DEC.COM> liss@gramps.DEC (Frederick R. Liss DTN 237-3649) writes:

>       I have heard from two widely separated sources that the AIDS
>        virus is man made.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?  Is
>        there any truth to the rumor?

Fascinating! Is there any way of getting a truthful answer to the question?
richard foy

steve@ea.UUCP (01/10/86)

The current level of technology in genetic virology would not support the
development of a virus like the one that we are dealing with in AIDS. We
simply don't have enough understanding of how to grow and manipulate these
to engineer them in the lab. I might believe it if this were a relative
of some of the more widely studied pests (Herpies type I or II, Epstien-
Barr, or perhaps SV40  or Poliovirus). This one is *weird* and is very
difficult to manipulate in the laboratory. We should be more worried that
antibodies to this critter have been sampled in misquitoes...

	"know what I mean Vern?..."

	Steve Blasingame
	mtxinu!ea!steve

pinter@phri.UUCP (Abraham Pinter) (01/10/86)

>     	I have heard from two widely separated sources that the AIDS
>         virus is man made.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?  Is
>         there any truth to the rumor?

The AIDS viruses are unique agents, very different from any other
biological agents isolated prior to 1985. In addition, there is
evidence of exposure to AIDS viruses in Africans as early as 1975,
which is before recombinant DNA technologies were developed. Thus
it is inconceivable that the AIDS viruses were man-made.

A more rational hypothesis is that these viruses were present in Africa,
either in isolated native populations, or perhaps in the monkey
population, for many years, and with recent urbanization and
changes in life styles, has spread to reach the developed world.

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (01/10/86)

> that I heard was that the AIDS virus (or at least the disease) was endemic in

WHAT?? AIDS virus and AIDS disease?? I'm confused
could someone enlighten me???

					Dave Scott
					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf

Great! I'm about to get killed a million miles from
no where with a gung-ho iguana telling me to relax!

lanin@csd2.UUCP (Vladimir Lanin) (01/12/86)

The man-made AIDS claim is not simply a rumor.
Several articles which have appeared in official Soviet newspapers
(including Pravda) claim that the CIA developed the virus
as a powerful psychoactive agent (???),
and that the virus was accidentally released.
"Pravda" means "truth" in Russian. It is an extremely widely read newspaper,
and serves as one of the mouths of the authorities.

Vladimir Lanin
ihnp4!cmcl2!csd2!lanin

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (01/12/86)

The source for the rumor that AIDS is man-made come from the
newspapers at the checkout counter in the supermarket, the
ones with cover stories like "APE BABY BORN TO ENCINO WOMAN"
and "SPACE ALIENS MOURN ROCK HUDSON."  Don't forget the coverage
of evening soaps that helps to blur the distinction between the
actors/actresses and their roles...

"If that's where you get your news from, you'll never want for
moonshine." - Ted Sandyman
--

The Maxwell R. Mayhem Institute for Quandary Requiem and Maternal Sciamachy
Accept no substitutes.

royt@gatech.CSNET (Roy M Turner) (01/13/86)

In article <1013@ihlpa.UUCP>, ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:
> > that I heard was that the AIDS virus (or at least the disease) was endemic in
>
> WHAT?? AIDS virus and AIDS disease?? I'm confused
> could someone enlighten me???

Uh, I just meant that I wasn't certain that there was agreement that the
causitive agent was a virus; didn't mean to confuse anyone.  Lord *knows*
I'm confused enough for everybody! :-)

Roy

mahoney@bach.DEC (01/13/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 9-JAN-1986 16:37---------------------

This runor started in one the tabloid papers. I think it was the
Midnight Globe.  I take it with a grain of salt. I saw it when I was
shopping and at the checkout counters there was the headline about
Aids being manmade. From what I have read is that Aids was originally
an illness in monkeys that got spread to humans the same way VD did.

Brian Mahoney

goudreau@dg_rtp.UUCP (01/13/86)

In article <196@aero.ARPA> foy@aero.UUCP (Richard Foy) writes:
>In article <295@decwrl.DEC.COM> liss@gramps.DEC (Frederick R. Liss DTN 237-3649) writes:
>>
>>    	I have heard from two widely separated sources that the AIDS
>>        virus is man made.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?  Is
>>        there any truth to the rumor?
>>
>Fascinating! Is there any way of getting a truthful answer to the question?
>richard foy

I happened to notice that allegation on the cover of one of the supermarket
weeklies.  Draw your own conclusion about its validity :-)

martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) (01/14/86)

In article <3380002@csd2.UUCP> lanin@csd2.UUCP (Vladimir Lanin) writes:
>The man-made AIDS claim is not simply a rumor.
>Several articles which have appeared in official Soviet newspapers
>(including Pravda) claim that the CIA developed the virus
>as a powerful psychoactive agent (???),
>and that the virus was accidentally released.
>"Pravda" means "truth" in Russian. It is an extremely widely read newspaper,
>and serves as one of the mouths of the authorities.

The Pravda
	>serves as one of the mouths of the authorities.
is very acurate; but the "authorities" (Read Cremlin) can have motives
outside of presenting the truth to its readers - PROPOGANDA.  I've heard
of so much garbage propoganda in the provda, its hard to weed out what
is real and what is not.  One thing is for sure, if its bad news its
about the States (U.S.).  Of course, the above comment about the CIA
may be true; could also be a cover for what the KGB is doing :-?.

  P.S.  I'm not anti-Russia OR pro-America, I am just for honest,
  unbiased information (RARE).  But as long as propoganda remains so
  obvious around the world, I'll continue to question *everything* I
  read or hear.

OBVIOUS DISCLAIMER: I'm not CIA or KGB or MI5; just me, a Canadian
     thinking my own Canadian thoughts.

				Magic Martin.

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (01/14/86)

> >     I have heard from two widely separated sources that the AIDS
> >        virus is man made.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?  Is
> >        there any truth to the rumor?
> >
> Fascinating! Is there any way of getting a truthful answer to the question?

Yes there is.
(One has already been posted: in short, THE AIDS VIRUS IS *NOT* MAN-MADE.)
The question becomes: is there any way to get people to believe a truthful
        answer when they given one?
(Fantasies of conspiracies are a lot more fun for some people to believe
        than the truth.)
--
Barry Buchbinder                                         (608)221-5000
Agrigenetics Corporation; 5649 East Buckeye Road; Madison WI 53716 USA

lanin@csd2.UUCP (Vladimir Lanin) (01/15/86)

> Is the AIDS virus man-made?

To which I previously responded

> It is not just a rumor, but a claim made by Soviet government newspapers
> that the CIA did it.

I am *not* saying that I believe the Soviets.
(I am sure they are lying as always.)

In posting this, I was trying to show the kind of libel that is used
by the Soviets to stir up hate for America.
In the U.S.S.R., Pravda is analogous to The New York Times,
not the National Enquirer.
For the vast majority of the Soviet population, it IS the truth.
Reading and believing that someone created and spread a fatal disease is
horrifying, not entertaining.

Vladimir Lanin
ihnp4!cmcl2!lanin

crickman@umn-cs.UUCP (Robin Crickman) (01/20/86)

> The man-made AIDS claim is not simply a rumor.
> Several articles which have appeared in official Soviet newspapers
>
> Vladimir Lanin
> ihnp4!cmcl2!csd2!lanin

This does not make it less a rumor: it merely identifies a plausible source
for the rumor.

John Hasler (guest of ...ihnp4!umn-cs!crickman)

dobro@ulowell.UUCP (Chet Dobro) (01/21/86)

>     	I have heard from two widely separated sources that the AIDS
>         virus is man made.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?  Is
>         there any truth to the rumor?
>
> 			Fred Liss  (originally on 'net.misc')

Well, if it isn't then (...) sure came up with a good one.
Note: The elipses is to filled in with either "evolution" or "God",
	this is *NOT*  'net.origins' (which is another place to discuss this. )

							Gryphon

jsdy@hadron.UUCP (01/27/86)

In article <859@umn-cs.UUCP> crickman@umn-cs.UUCP (Robin Crickman) writes:
>> Several articles which have appeared in official Soviet newspapers
>This does not make it less a rumor: it merely identifies a plausible source
>John Hasler (guest of ...ihnp4!umn-cs!crickman)

" p l a u s i b l e " ???  First time I heard Pravda ["truth"]
called that.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

crickman@umn-cs.UUCP (Robin Crickman) (01/31/86)

> >This does not make it less a rumor: it merely identifies a plausible source
>
> " p l a u s i b l e " ???  First time I heard Pravda ["truth"]
> called that.
> --
>
> 	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

I did not mean to imply that the "man made virus" rumor was made plausible
by it's appearance in Pravda, but that it is plausible that Pravda originated
it.  They invent and publish crap like this all the time.

John Hasler (guest of ...ihnp4!umn-cs!crickman)

"There's no Izvestia [news] in Pravda, and no Pravda in Izvestia."