[net.text] explanations about versatec fonts needed

dberry@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel M. Berry) (02/08/84)

Can anyone explain to me what are the visual effects of changing the values
of up, down, left ,and right in versatec font.  In particular what is
the effect of adding an x to left while subtracting x to left in
order to keep the sum of left and right constant.
I have noticed that some fonts have 0 for left always and others have
a mixture of small positive numbers  as the lefts.
I have noticed that fuller letters to left have larger negative lefts
in those cases.
So, what are the visual effects of changing those values and what
are guidelines for setting them?
Thanks
dberry@ucla-cs on arpa or csnet
also ucbvax!ucla-vax!dberry on usenet