[net.misc] Spontaneous combustion and people!

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (01/08/86)

certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom. I would especially like to
learn about any possible written material regarding this rather amazing claim.
        Thanks. I'll post any information I get if anyone is interested
.        Peter Espen

faunt@hplabs.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (01/09/86)

> I have been hearing recently about a suppossed
> certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
> charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
> might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom. I would especially like to
> learn about any possible written material regarding this rather amazing claim.
>         Thanks. I'll post any information I get if anyone is interested
> .        Peter Espen

This was much more amusing in net.flame.

--
        ....!hplabs!faunt		faunt@hplabs.ARPA
HP is not responsible for anything I say here.  In fact, what I say here

neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (01/14/86)

In article <445@well.UUCP>, espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) writes:
> certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
> charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
> might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom. I would especially like to
> learn about any possible written material regarding this rather amazing
> claim.
>         Thanks. I'll post any information I get if anyone is interested
> .        Peter Espen

"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes."

-Neal
--
UUCP: {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!neal

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (01/15/86)

>> I have been hearing recently about a suppossed
>> certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
>> charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
>> might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom. I would especially like to
>> learn about any possible written material regarding this rather amazing claim
>>         Thanks. I'll post any information I get if anyone is interested
>> .        Peter Espen
>
> This was much more amusing in net.flame.
>
>         ....!hplabs!faunt             faunt@hplabs.ARPA

I don't know why you are amused, spontaneous combustion in people is a
proven, tho of course not common, phenomenon. I read about it in school
and don't have hard facts(names, dates, reasons) but it has been documented
on occasion.

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (01/15/86)

> certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
> charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
> might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom.

        I seem to remember a comedy routine about (black?) jazz musicians
that were so 'hot' that they would burst into flames while playing.  Does
anyone else out there remember this?
        People are more than 90% water.  They cannot spontaneously burst
into flames under normal conditions (i.e. under conditions where life is
possible).  If you want to do a experiment, use a piece of beef or chicken
as a model system.  One must badly over-cook it before the melted fat will
burst into flames.
--
Barry Buchbinder                                         (608)221-5000
Agrigenetics Corporation; 5649 East Buckeye Road; Madison WI 53716 USA

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (01/15/86)

Just so the original poster doesn't think he/she is crazy...  Yes, I
have heard of it too.  I saw an "In Search Of ..." show on it a few
years ago.  There were no conclusions reached except that some people,
they claimed, had been found burned while nothing around them was,
etc...  No, I don't really buy it (the idea being that something
internal to the body generated enough heat to ignite part of the body)
but there are lots of things I can't explain.
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center    {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio

tab@vax135.UUCP (Tracey Baker) (01/17/86)

>From: avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio)
>Subject: Re: Spontaneous combustion and people!
>
>Just so the original poster doesn't think he/she is crazy...  Yes, I
>have heard of it too.  I saw an "In Search Of ..." show on it a few
>years ago.  There were no conclusions reached except that some people,
>they claimed, had been found burned while nothing around them was,
>etc...  No, I don't really buy it (the idea being that something
>internal to the body generated enough heat to ignite part of the body)
>but there are lots of things I can't explain.
>--
>Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center    {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio

	It does seem strange that something in the body could (supposedly)
generate that much heat, but I have heard of other examples of
spontaneous combustion that sound just as strange.  The most promenant
in my mind is something that was drilled into my head on horse farms:
When new bales of hay arrived at the barn, a thermometer was inserted
into the middle of each bale.  Apparently, if the hay was not cured
properly, the temperature in the middle of the bale could get
high enough to set the hay on fire.  This sounds pretty strange too,
but it does happen.

|--------------------------|------------------------------------------|
|                          |                                          |
|Tracey Baker              |  UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax,allegra}!vax135!tab |
|Room 4G-637               |                                          |
|AT&T Bell Laboratories    |  Disclaimer:                             |
|Crawfords Corner Rd.      |     These are my opinions, and           |
|Holmdel, N.J. 07733       |       nobody else can have them!         |
|                          |                                          |
|  "You're just a sewer rat, drowning in a cesspool of innuendo."     |

robt@molihp.UUCP (Robert L Thurlow) (01/18/86)

[]

    I saw the CBC program on "The Fifth Estate" last Tuesday, and it was
a hoot.  It was  presented  seriously,  but I thought it was possible to
*just* see the  tongue in the cheek of the  journalist.  The cases  they
talked about were interesting, but I'd buy aliens with death rays first.

    BTW, a related problem is "Spontaneous  Combustion of chickens", and
I hear that fine chain of Scottish  restaurants would like a cheaper way
of making chicken nuggets.  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

<DISCLAIMER : my thoughts are my own, and are void where prohibited by law.>
#  ...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!molihp		Rob Thurlow		   #
# "There was something fishy aboout the butler.  I think he was a Pisces,  #
#  probably working for scale."				- Nick Danger      #

dv@well.UUCP (David W. Vezie) (01/21/86)

Let's put all this about spontaneous combustion of people to rest, shall
we?

The subject was mentioned in the film "Repo Man".  Here is a brief
summary (not spoiler (I don't think)):  It seems that the contents
of the trunk of (I believe) a Chevy Malibu were rather mysterious,
as when a Highway Patrolman examined it, all that was left of him
was his boots, with whisps of smoke coming out of them.  Then, a
woman (who apparently knew what the contents of the trunk were),
when asked, replied:  "Spontaneous human combustion...  Happens
all the time...  natural causes."

Then again...  there was this guy I knew, who wasn't looking in
any trunk...  we eventually found his shoes (phew!  what a stench!).
---
David W. Vezie
            {dual|hplabs}!well!dv - Whole Earth 'Lectronics Link, Sausalito, CA
(4 lines, 113 chars)

ansok@spp3.UUCP (Gary Ansok) (01/22/86)

I seem to recall there was an entry in the Book of Lists (probably 1,
maybe 2) containing "19 Cases of Spontaneous Combustion of People"
or something like that.  If I had a copy myself, I'd give you their
reference, but I don't have that one with me.

Mostly little old ladies who were found one morning with the charred
remains found in a mostly-unburned chair -- reminds me of a fireball
type of burning which may have a (non-spontaneous) cause.

        Gary Ansok
        trwrb!trwspp!spp3!ansok

ijk@hropus.UUCP (Ihor J. Kinal) (01/23/86)

>> is Tracey Baker's article.
>>	It does seem strange that something in the body could (supposedly)
>>	generate that much heat, but I have heard of other examples of
>>	spontaneous combustion that sound just as strange.  The most promenant
>>	in my mind is something that was drilled into my head on horse farms:
>>	When new bales of hay arrived at the barn, a thermometer was inserted
>>	into the middle of each bale.  Apparently, if the hay was not cured
>>	properly, the temperature in the middle of the bale could get
>>	high enough to set the hay on fire.  This sounds pretty strange too,
>>	but it does happen.

Give me a break!!!  The reason 'hay' can burn is that grass continues
to 'live' after it's cut; this process, in accordance with the
2nd law of Thermodynamics, gives off waste heat.  The waste heat gets
trapped in the bales, and the temperature rises!!! Voila - fire.
Normally, spontaneous combustion refers to things like oily rags,
which oxidize very slowly, but if the heat cannot escape easily...

Ihor Kinal
P.S.  Supposedly, pouring water on burning hay only makes the problem
worse, since it just speeds up the grass's natural processes.
But I've never confirmed that.
P.P.S.  While I've never seen hay burn, I typically add grass clippings
to my compost heap to help it keep going.  Last fall, after not
mowing my lawn for several weeks, I had a fairly large pile.  After
two days, I turned the pile over, and found a few red embers glowing.
PPPS - Anyway, spontaneous combustion is one thing; the burning of
hay is something else, as I've tried to make clear; neither
occurrence  can be related in any way that I can see to people
unless you stack piles and piles of them ...

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (01/24/86)

--
> Give me a break!!!  The reason 'hay' can burn is that grass continues
> to 'live' after it's cut; this process, in accordance with the
> 2nd law of Thermodynamics, gives off waste heat.  The waste heat gets
> trapped in the bales, and the temperature rises!!! Voila - fire.
> Normally, spontaneous combustion refers to things like oily rags,
> which oxidize very slowly, but if the heat cannot escape easily...
>
> Ihor Kinal
> P.S.  Supposedly, pouring water on burning hay only makes the problem
> worse, since it just speeds up the grass's natural processes...

It's not any "living" processes of the grass, which is dead, but of
bacteria (anaerobic variety, I believe).  The hay is essentially
fermenting, and thereby heating up.  The water content in the cut
hay is a critical factor in the rate of fermentation.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

kucharsk@puff.UUCP (01/24/86)

According to some back issues of Science Digest and one book written on
the subject, SHC (Spontaneous Human Combustion) is a reality.  But then
again, several books were written on the Bermuda Triangle as well...

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (01/27/86)

In article <224@hropus.UUCP>, ijk@hropus.UUCP (Ihor J. Kinal) writes:
> >> is Tracey Baker's article.
> >>	It does seem strange that something in the body could (supposedly)
> >>	generate that much heat, but I have heard of other examples of
> >>    spontaneous combustion that sound just as strange.  (...)
> >>    Apparently, if the hay was not cured
> >>	properly, the temperature in the middle of the bale could get
> >>    high enough to set the hay on fire. (...)
>
> Give me a break!!!  The reason 'hay' can burn is that grass continues
> to 'live' after it's cut; (...)

Cut hay is dead.  It lays in the field long enough to assure that.
What happens is that insufficiently dried hay can suffer bacterial
decay and oxidation leading to heat build up and fire.

> Normally, spontaneous combustion refers to things like oily rags,
> which oxidize very slowly, but if the heat cannot escape easily...

And hay.  And unturned compost.

> Ihor Kinal
> P.S.  Supposedly, pouring water on burning hay only makes the problem
> worse, since it just speeds up the grass's natural processes.
> But I've never confirmed that.

Pouring water on burning hay puts it out.  At least for small lumps.
I have confirmed that.  For a whole barn full, I have no idea.   You
might get all kinds of strange things  (Like water gas?  From coal
at high temp and pressure C + H2O -> CO + H2).  I grew up in
farm country.  Green hay is a real threat to the survival of
the barn.  And the stuff is real dead.  I've pulled apart a few
bales of 'warm' green hay in my life.  Decaying, yes.  Live?  No.

BTW, one really big problem they had at rice dryers was with rice
dust.  Every decade or so we would loose a dryer to fire/explosion.
For a real fun time put a sack of flour on a tuna can of explosives in
a 12ft square shack.  Light fuse and get a LONG way away!
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

devine@asgb.UUCP (Robert J. Devine) (01/28/86)

> Give me a break!!!  The reason 'hay' can burn is that grass continues
> to 'live' after it's cut; this process, in accordance with the
> 2nd law of Thermodynamics, gives off waste heat.  The waste heat gets
> trapped in the bales, and the temperature rises!!! Voila - fire.
>
> Ihor Kinal
> P.S.  Supposedly, pouring water on burning hay only makes the problem
> worse, since it just speeds up the grass's natural processes.
> But I've never confirmed that.

  Wrong.  Fresh bales of hay cause fires because of the action of
mold or mildew on the still wet grass.  Cut open a bale that was
baled wet and you will find slimy, warm hay (Yum!).  A bale by itself
will reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit within several hours.  A hay-mow
can easily get past 200.  Anaerobic bacteria love warm, wet, and
dark conditions.

  And no, water on a hay (or grass) fire will put it out just fine.

jus' a farm boy from Wisconsin working on them new-fangled computers....
Bob Devine

ant3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Butch Anton) (01/29/86)

Along the same lines, grain (read wheat, barley, etc.) is prone
to spontaneous combustion also.  Grain elevators will not take
grain which is above a certain percentage of moisture content.
That's why grain dryers are used...

(By the way, I'm from Montana)

--
Butch Anton
University of Chicago

    uucp:  ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!ant3
    mailnet:  x9.xba@UChicago.Mailnet
    bitnet:  ant3%sphinx@UChicago.Bitnet
    ARPA:  x9.xba%UChicago.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA
    USnail:  2560 E. 72nd Place           (312) 731-6314 home
	     Chicago, IL  60649           (312) 731-6750 work

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (01/31/86)

> Along the same lines, grain (read wheat, barley, etc.) is prone
> to spontaneous combustion also.  Grain elevators will not take
> grain which is above a certain percentage of moisture content.
> That's why grain dryers are used...
> (By the way, I'm from Montana)

	Actually, the explosiveness of grains has as much to do with the
combustibility of finely-divided particles. Under the proper conditions,
cornstarch can be ten times more combustible than TNT. In this scenerio,
moisture content doesn't matter. Thus grain elevators and feed mills are
very, very dust-conscious as the risk of explosion is high. Moisture content
is often used to determine the price per bushel for grain because it increases
the spoilage factor.
	(I'm from Delaware myself and my dad has worked at a grain elevator
for 30 years).

--
jcpatilla

"Not faint canaries but ambrosia.."
(name the original source)

fine@nmtvax.UUCP (Andrew J Fine) (02/07/86)

Having read the previous articles on grain dust, do you suppose we can
process it under the right conditions to serve as cheap, high-power
solid rocket propellant ( Our SRB's: Grown in the USA! ).

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (02/12/86)

> Having read the previous articles on grain dust, do you suppose we can
> process it under the right conditions to serve as cheap, high-power
> solid rocket propellant ( Our SRB's: Grown in the USA! ).

In the 1920s, coffee was so overly available in Brazil that ground coffee
was used instead of coal for locomotives.